Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Switching schools for fifth grade

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 9:10 pm
My fourth grader is happy with school but for various reasons I am seriously considering switching her school for next year.

She may know some kids from the new
School from camp or shul but only has one real friend who attends that school. Her one friend lives two doors down and I would specifically request they not be in the same class because I think it’s best for them that way.

Did you ever switch a kids school for fifth grade and how was the transition?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 11:26 pm
Bump

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 11:30 pm
I did. 2 daughters. They both did great, socially and academically.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:26 am
I did and bh it went fine but I'm wary that you seem to be saying you would not want her to be friends with the only other kid she knows there who is also your neighbor. This sounds like you're setting up for a tricky dynamic even before you start. Consider whether you would be ok with them becoming better friends once they're schoolmates. Because you can't really control what happens.

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 5:06 am
amother OP wrote:
My fourth grader is happy with school but for various reasons I am seriously considering switching her school for next year.

She may know some kids from the new
School from camp or shul but only has one real friend who attends that school. Her one friend lives two doors down and I would specifically request they not be in the same class because I think it’s best for them that way.

Did you ever switch a kids school for fifth grade and how was the transition?

Yes, why would you go out of your way to request that she be apart from her one friend?

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 6:07 am
Best gift I ever gave a child

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 8:44 am
I would request her to be apart from her one friend because I think it’s better for their friendship. My daughter struggles a lot academically and is on the quieter side. My neighbors kids does not struggle and is a popular kid. They have known each other since they were babies and I don’t think their friendship will last if they are in the same class because they will float in very different social circles. I like this friendship
And I want to maintain it and that’s why I’d request they not be in the same class. Also two doors down is little much to be in school together the whole day and then hang out in the evening. Some separation is neccesary.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:21 am
I moved to another state when my oldest was in middle of 5th grade (mid year). My son is more of an introvert. He didn't know anyone before we moved. He did eventually adjust but it took him time. My other kids adjusted much quicker.

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:23 am
amother OP wrote:
I would request her to be apart from her one friend because I think it’s better for their friendship. My daughter struggles a lot academically and is on the quieter side. My neighbors kids does not struggle and is a popular kid. They have known each other since they were babies and I don’t think their friendship will last if they are in the same class because they will float in very different social circles. I like this friendship
And I want to maintain it and that’s why I’d request they not be in the same class. Also two doors down is little much to be in school together the whole day and then hang out in the evening. Some separation is neccesary.

100% agree with you.

When my dd started school, I requested that she not be together with the neighbor. It'd be too much for them to be together all day and then again all afternoon and Shabbos

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:32 am
I did it and it worked well but dd wanted the change and also had lots of friends in the new school. It’s not clear from your post if it’s what your daughter wants.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 10:25 am
amother Vermilion wrote:
I did it and it worked well but dd wanted the change and also had lots of friends in the new school. It’s not clear from your post if it’s what your daughter wants.

My daughter is happy where she is but there is no reason she won’t be equally as happy if not even happier in the new school. I am having issues with a different daughter and once I switch one I need to switch both. I was anyway planning on moving them to this school for high school but now I’m thinking of making the switch sooner.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics