Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What's the purpose of a pillow case?

What's the purpose of a pillow case?
So you don't have to put your head on a dirty pillow  
 38%  [ 36 ]
So you don't get the pillow dirty from your head  
 51%  [ 48 ]
So it will look pretty and match the rest of your linen  
 7%  [ 7 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 93

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 11:59 pm
I always thought there was one clear purpose of a pillow case, but my in-laws have a totally different reason for them. Which do you think is the reason?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:03 am
Kind of in between the first 2 options. So my head and face are resting on somthing freshly clean. And I add a pillow protector underneath the pillow case, so the pillow stays in good condition/doesn't get stained underneath. So I guess I'm leaning to #1.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:03 am
ra_mom wrote:
Kind of in between the first 2 options. So you're head and face are resting on somthing freshly clean. And then I add a pillow protector underneath the pillow case, don't the pillow stays in good condition/doesn't get stained underneath.

Can you link?

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:04 am
To protect the user and the pillow from each other, same function as a duvet cover. You wouldn't want to have to wash the pillow every week.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:06 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Can you link?

I use these and really enjoy them.
Check this out! https://a.co/d/e3fATdA

Don't close the zipper all the way up if you don't like a very puffy pillow, as it's so waterproof that it traps air, but luckily it's breathable and not plasticy.

NechaMom

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:09 am
the world's best mom wrote:
I always thought there was one clear purpose of a pillow case, but my in-laws have a totally different reason for them. Which do you think is the reason?

To have something washable between you and the pillow. The first two reasons are correct.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:27 am
I'm surprised the first 2 options have equal amounts of votes so far. It never occured to me that we want to keep the pillow clean. I know in my house, if someone sweats, throws up, or has a nosebleed, the pillow gets dirty anyway, even with a pillowcase. You put on a clean pillowcase and nobody needs to know what the pillow looks like underneath. But I would never want to put my head down on an uncovered pillow!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 1:08 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I'm surprised the first 2 options have equal amounts of votes so far. It never occured to me that we want to keep the pillow clean. I know in my house, if someone sweats, throws up, or has a nosebleed, the pillow gets dirty anyway, even with a pillowcase. You put on a clean pillowcase and nobody needs to know what the pillow looks like underneath. But I would never want to put my head down on an uncovered pillow!

Why does there have to be just one reason? Pillows are not meant to be washed contantly. So while pillow cases don't prevent pillows from ever getting dirty, they do reduce the number of times a pillow needs to get cleaned.

If someone throws up on a pillow or gets a nosebleed, the pillow needs to be cleaned before putting on a fresh pillow case. Seriously.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 1:10 pm
I use a silk pillowcase to protect my hair.

So adding in another reason lol.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 1:23 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Why does there have to be just one reason? Pillows are not meant to be washed contantly. So while pillow cases don't prevent pillows from ever getting dirty, they do reduce the number of times a pillow needs to get cleaned.

If someone throws up on a pillow or gets a nosebleed, the pillow needs to be cleaned before putting on a fresh pillow case. Seriously.

This. OP I hope I never sleep at your house Surprised

salt

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:18 am
1 and 2 are one and the same -

So you don't get the pillow dirty from your head and so you don't have to put your head on a dirty pillow from the person before, who slept on it with a dirty head.

Brit in Israel

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:46 am
What does your inlaws think they are for?????

I was debating before the first 2 as it's both, but went for number 2 as its replacing the laundering of pillows.
Unless you put your pillows and duvets in the washing machine as often as you change your linen (or supposed to)
Just the thought of sleeping straight on a mattress, pillow or duvet gives me shudders.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:54 am
ra_mom wrote:
I use these and really enjoy them.
Check this out! https://a.co/d/e3fATdA

Don't close the zipper all the way up if you don't like a very puffy pillow, as it's so waterproof that it traps air, but luckily it's breathable and not plasticy.

I purchased them and they feel sweaty from the plastic noise . How is it breathable if their is plastic inside? Thx. I have very sweaty sleepers I can imagine them being very hot ?! Is that so.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:59 am
I voted to keep the pillow clean, but really 1 and 2 are the same. It's so that multiple people don't put their heads on the same pillow without a barrier in between. So it keeps the pillow clean and keeps your head clean. Same thing.

What do your in-laws think?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:00 am
If it’s #3, then just get extra pillowcases that match. Don’t set a beautiful bed and not let the guests use the pillows!

My Grandma had a daybed, and kept comfortable pillows in the closet for sleeping on.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:10 am
I have a pillow protector for my pillows in the same way that I have a mattress protector for my mattress.

It protects the pillow because a pillow case is not generally competely impervious to body fluids and oils.

The pillow case which is changed weekly is mostly so that people sleep on something clean but also keeps the pillow protector cleaner as I don't wash the protector as often as the case.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry