Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
How does this happen- Toddler found at airport after parents
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Zus

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:53 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Zus wrote:
Yes, people who eat only Badatz should not leave their houses at all during the 9 days. Rolling Eyes

There is an Inyan that many frum Jews do not travel during the 9 days unless there's some sort of emergency.

Yes I know that. But we don't know why these people were flying. It's easy to make judgments.

HooRYou

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:59 am
When I read the article I definitely thought they threw in the badatz part as a stab at orthodox yidden. Look who published the article.

We have asked and been given permission to travel during the 3 weeks, but I wouldn't even ask about traveling during the 9 days. I was nervous enough travelling during the 3 weeks!

Zus

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 3:02 am
Sure it's not surprising that a story like this pops up davka during the 9 days. It's only luck that nothing worse happened.
But again, we don't know why this family was traveling davka now.

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 3:17 am
GAMZu wrote:
A 3 year old? shock I just taught my 4 year old the concept of Kosher, but in no way would he ever be able to tell someone what hechsher he uses! shock

I don't know why they brought it out that she only eats badatz, but my kids already know from the age of two that they can't eat food coloring, and perservatives. I did this just in case someone gives them so they know to ask does it have FC or P. in it.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 3:22 am
Well, so do mine know about food coloring. Smile But they still won't trust anyone to give them food before they check it with me. I guess I didn't teach them about hechsheirim because I wouldn't leave them with anyone whom I don't trust to feed them the proper foods (regarding kashrus).

I guess if that girl's parents were concerned that she may receive non-badatz food from someone without their knowledge, they probably taught her.

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 4:02 am
This is my biggest nightmare.

We don't go out as a family very often, but when we do, I do 'rollcall' every time we move to a different place or get in the van, before we even drive off. On a daytrip out, this might mean that I'm calling out their names up to 10 times.

grin

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 4:27 am
OK - I do admit that once I remembered the baby only after settling into the car, jsut before pulling out for a day trip - after being prompted by the kids - I didn't want to wake him up before we left.

But at the airport? I'm frantic enough about losing them in any crowd. They probably figured the older sister was watching her or something.

OK - now I'm seeing how this could happen. Each one "knew" that someone else was watching her. Maybe her sister needed the bathroom at the last minute, pointed the kid at the next-in-line, shouted to her, and went. (note - they boarded late - they were probably waiting for this older sis.) Then in the plane, each figured she was sitting with the other group (it's very hard to get seating for this many together).

But I do know that when I did fly, I also did the double and triple checking myself (and drove my teens nuts in the process!)

Last edited by grin on Mon, Aug 04 2008, 4:45 am; edited 2 times in total

Bambamama

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 4:37 am
We don't know why these people were traveling. Maybe it was a very high-stress trip, like an ill parent, or a death, and they were terribly distracted. Maybe they put an older, responsible sibling in charge of the 3 year old and that sibling failed at their job. Not that they shouldn't have double-checked on that sibling, but I can see how this could happen. So many different scenarios are possible. Accidents happen, stupid accidents. When I hear of people who have lost their children after leaving them in cars I feel so terrible, because not only did they lose their child and they are probably blaming themselves, but so many other people who have no right to do so are blaming them as well. I doubt these people intended to leave their child. It was a stupid mistake that B"H didn't turn out as badly as it could have.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 4:44 am
Bambamama wrote:
We don't know why these people were traveling. Maybe it was a very high-stress trip, like an ill parent, or a death, and they were terribly distracted. Maybe they put an older, responsible sibling in charge of the 3 year old and that sibling failed at their job. Not that they shouldn't have double-checked on that sibling, but I can see how this could happen. So many different scenarios are possible. Accidents happen, stupid accidents. When I hear of people who have lost their children after leaving them in cars I feel so terrible, because not only did they lose their child and they are probably blaming themselves, but so many other people who have no right to do so are blaming them as well. I doubt these people intended to leave their child. It was a stupid mistake that B"H didn't turn out as badly as it could have.

No one is saying they did it on purpose and 9 times out of 10 when a child dies when left in a car here in iIsrael it's because the parents are separated and each one thinks the other has the child.

However... it shows a huge level of irresponsibility on the part of the airport, airline and the parents that they were able to board without their 3 year old and HAD TO BE TOLD 45 minutes into the flight their kid wasn't actually on the plane. We all just find it very difficult to believe how it got as far as it did and why the parents didn't notice once they were in the air.

greentiger

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 4:56 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Yeah, I read this and I was dumbfounded.... were they not sitting together? I know when I fly, I do checks and rechecks and rerechecks... and I have TEENAGERS!

ROFL! LOL

I can imagine it could happen. I mean imagine the father runs off to buy a drink thinking he left the kids with the mother and the spacy 3 year old follows him, and the mother assumes he noticed while he had no clue he was being followed. I agree with gamzu, its one thing to not board with your kid what with all the pressure and all, but NOT TO NOTICE for 45 minutes??!!!

greentiger

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 5:00 am
GAMZu wrote:
I guess if that girl's parents were concerned that she may receive non-badatz food from someone without their knowledge, they probably taught her.

That was my impression too. The fact that she was taught not to accept anything from strangers reflects positivly on the parents and gives you the impression that she is not just a neglected younger child.

Bambamama

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 7:42 am
YESHASettler wrote:

However... it shows a huge level of irresponsibility on the part of the airport, airline and the parents that they were able to board without their 3 year old and HAD TO BE TOLD 45 minutes into the flight their kid wasn't actually on the plane. We all just find it very difficult to believe how it got as far as it did and why the parents didn't notice once they were in the air.

I didn't read that about being 45 min. into the flight and having had to be told that their child wasn't with them. That is shocking.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 8:09 am
Bambamama wrote:
I didn't read that about being 45 min. into the flight and having had to be told that their child wasn't with them. That is shocking.

From the article, emphasis mine:
Quote:
Her family did not realize she was missing until the captain of Sun D'Or flight U52872 informed them 45 minutes after takeoff that she had been found. They were the last passengers to board the plane, and it appears that in their haste, they forgot the girl and the stewards did not check that the number of tickets matched up with the number of children.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 8:20 am
they also needed to be informed. so it didn't take them 45 minutes to figure it out, b/c they didn't figure it out.

Bambamama

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 8:58 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200.....alone

Israeli airport police say a couple going on a European vacation remembered to bring their duty-free shopping and their 18 suitcases, but forgot their 3-year-old daughter at the airport.

Do people really travel with 18 suitcases? Were they moving? And why would they do duty-free shopping when their hands were already so full. Just interesting questions to speculate.

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 8:59 am
I'm wondering if it was a very early morning flight, and the parents were sleep deprived?

I saw another news item where a family were sent to the wrong gate and ended up in the wrong country. They were so tired they didn't notice!

greentiger

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 9:03 am
I think thats a really unfair headline. I mean they didn't have to shlep the suitcases with them - you check it all in right at the begining, so great, they remembered... and don't forget that suitcases don't wander off on their own.

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 9:05 am
Bambamama wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_re_mi_ea/odd_israel_home_alone

Israeli airport police say a couple going on a European vacation remembered to bring their duty-free shopping and their 18 suitcases, but forgot their 3-year-old daughter at the airport.

Do people really travel with 18 suitcases? Were they moving? And why would they do duty-free shopping when their hands were already so full. Just interesting questions to speculate.

perhaps they were bringing things for friends or relatives in france. And they were 7 people. So its 2.5 per person, probably including hand luggage. and I assume they checked in the suitcases. (now...wouldn't flying with kids be sooooooooooooo much easier if you could check in your kids as well! Twisted Evil )

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 9:32 am
Bambamama wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_re_mi_ea/odd_israel_home_alone

that's yahoo news for you.. maybe some other way to incriminate jews or chareidim.... shock

pacifier

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 9:36 am
I wonder if this is a real story.... french people do not usually travel with enormous amount of luggage. there's a weight limit, and most of the time with 1 1/2 luggage per person you get to the limit!

then I'm surprised that in israel where security is at maximum they would let and stamp passport/boarding pass without checking first. unless the little girl moved back at the last minute, after they had given their boarding pass; who would notice a 3 year old in a crowd of people rushing to get seated first in the plane.

but once everyone on the plane, I'm surprised the attendants didn't count properly the number of passengers...... a 3 year old takes a seat, so there was one seat empty and the attendant didn't notice it!! strange....
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics