Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Sholom bayis couch
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:21 pm
I wasn't sure where to post this but I needed it to be anon and I can't talk to people in real life about this.
BH we have lots of kids of various ages up different times so DH and I spend a lot of time in our bedroom if we want privacy.
We really needed a couch in our room to sit and talk on and to cuddle on when that is allowed. Sitting on the beds were just not working out for us.
We have 72" width to work with which is like a loveseat size. I searched for months, DH didn't want to spend too much money, and eventually found something we both were ok with.
Turns out it's a complete bust. The back is not tall enough and we're just too large to cuddle on it. We can each sit straight on the couch. It doesn't work at all for our needs. Yes I checked measurements and all, I made sure it was a bit extra deep so it would be more comfortable but it's not. We are short and fat and I didn't think the seat back height would matter much.
I feel like an absolute idiot. This was supposed to bring us closer in the evening and instead it symbolizes a waste of money.
Is there anything to do to make it work?????
If it can't work and we need to try again...how do we find the right piece??? Any ideas?? We can't exactly sit together in the store trying it out (we can but DH would never) and besides I have no idea any stores to even look. We tend to buy our stuff online.
We actually are not picky (looks wise) except it needs to fulfill its purpose and not be too costly.
Can you help me find this? Or fix it? Or something....

:)iknowit

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:26 pm
Try HomeGoods. You can drive to one that’s not near a frum community and they have random pieces and discount prices.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:29 pm
:)iknowit wrote:
Try HomeGoods. You can drive to one that’s not near a frum community and they have random pieces and discount prices.

My husband will not sit with me on a small couch in front of anyone. Jewish or not.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:33 pm
You can't even sit on the same couch in public?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:39 pm
Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought “that’s not how you spell ‘coach’”

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:39 pm
And I thought you were looking for coach to help you with your shalom bayis and you misspelled it 😂

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:44 pm
Small couches in general are hard to find comfortable ones and the cheap ones generally aren't. I bought one at one point for my bedroom and it was also horribly uncomfortable. I ended up getting something from a furniture that dh tried.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:46 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
You can't even sit on the same couch in public?

My husband is very private and this is something he is uncomfortable with. We sit together if there's some space but not cuddled or squished together in front of others. We're not here to debate this point. The question is about needing a place to chill together in our room where he IS comfortable and being stuck with small spaces and a limited budget.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:47 pm
Can you get an ottoman that you can move in front of the couch when you want to be sitting together to put ur feet up?

You can move it to the side when not using?

Would throw pillows help the couch you currently have?

Would it work for one of you to sit facing forward and the other to lie in the lap? Or sit across and snuggle like an L shape?

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:55 pm
What about a giant bean bag?

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:57 pm
https://www.raymourflanigan.co.....66723

Not sure if this is the exact one I have because it was a while ago, but definitely very similar. Super comfortable for two people to sit on, cuddle on. Very happy with it.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:58 pm
Get an ottoman!!!!! Thats the only way my husband and I can cuddle on the couch (we r almost a foot apart in height). It is a cheap and easy solution

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:59 pm
Can you resell on a chat, Ebay, or rehoming site? Or can you use for den or baby's room?

How much are you looking to spend?

Here's some options for under $250

https://www.wayfair.com/furnit.....55401

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....5Eh_Q

https://www.wayfair.com/furnit.....56198

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:59 pm
If you’re looking to be able to sit on your husband’s lap have him try out the chair. Make sure there’s a bit of extra room.
I do think you needed to buy in person to test for comfort
Not the sort of thing to buy online- unless there’s an excellent return policy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:01 pm
amother Grape wrote:
https://www.raymourflanigan.com/outlet/loveseats-chaises-clearance/whitman-loveseat-204466723

Not sure if this is the exact one I have because it was a while ago, but definitely very similar. Super comfortable for two people to sit on, cuddle on. Very happy with it.

Where do your feet go?

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:04 pm
We can curl up on the couch easily (two average sized people). We also have an ottoman as an option.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:04 pm
I wouldn’t buy a couch without trying it in person first

If you post your location we can try to recommend stores, you can go together and only you sit on the couch. Sit in a way you would if he was next to you it’ll give you the same idea.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:05 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
Can you get an ottoman that you can move in front of the couch when you want to be sitting together to put ur feet up?

You can move it to the side when not using?

Would throw pillows help the couch you currently have?

Would it work for one of you to sit facing forward and the other to lie in the lap? Or sit across and snuggle like an L shape?

Throw pillow would only make the couch feel even smaller I think. Maybe some kind of pillow for the back? They are removable back cushions but the base is quite short.

An ottoman sounds like a good idea. There isn't an ottoman that comes with the couch I have. Are there generic ones? How do I find one that would work? I would love the L shaped idea.

Honestly ideal would be to work with what we have. If we can't make that work, I may be able to convince DH to put the couch in his office and get a different peice all together.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:10 pm
Don't know where you live, but I got a couch at Bob's and I'm very happy, they have a lot of them all over. I would never buy a couch without sitting on it first, but can you tell if it will be big enough by sitting on it normally?

NechaMom

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:11 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought “that’s not how you spell ‘coach’”

Same. Was about to post on the immediate reaction thread...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics