Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Thessaloniki, Greece

Traveller247

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:09 am
I'd like to go to Thessaloniki in the summer (yes I'm quite in advance!) and want to know from people that have been there, is it possible to find emptier beaches if we drive out or something? Or maybe get a villa with private beach access? The destination speaks to me but I know August isn't really ideal for beach towns but I'm wondering if it's possible.
Or is there lots to do and we can find other entertainment during the day and only go down to the beach at night when it empties out.
Thanks!

Rappel

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:04 am
Not first hand info, but:

I heard that tourist Greece is not very kid friendly, overall. I can get you that phone number of the Chabad shaliach there; he's the brother of our friends

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:24 am
Traveller247 wrote:
I'd like to go to Thessaloniki in the summer (yes I'm quite in advance!) and want to know from people that have been there, is it possible to find emptier beaches if we drive out or something? Or maybe get a villa with private beach access? The destination speaks to me but I know August isn't really ideal for beach towns but I'm wondering if it's possible.
Or is there lots to do and we can find other entertainment during the day and only go down to the beach at night when it empties out.
Thanks!

Can I ask what about it speaks to you?

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:35 am
Thessaloniki beaches aren't great. Not very clean, crowded. There is a tourist boat that leaves from the main port area and takes circular route to a nearby island with a slightly quieter beach.

The really nice beaches are on the 3 Halkidiki peninsulas, about a 45-minute drive to the northeast. I believe the middle peninsula, Sithonia, is supposed to have the nicest family-oriented beaches.

We found Greece to be reasonably child-friendly, so I'm not sure what prompted that comment.

Traveller247

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:05 am
amother Holly wrote:
Thessaloniki beaches aren't great. Not very clean, crowded. There is a tourist boat that leaves from the main port area and takes circular route to a nearby island with a slightly quieter beach.

The really nice beaches are on the 3 Halkidiki peninsulas, about a 45-minute drive to the northeast. I believe the middle peninsula, Sithonia, is supposed to have the nicest family-oriented beaches.

We found Greece to be reasonably child-friendly, so I'm not sure what prompted that comment.

Thank you this was a big help

Traveller247

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:06 am
amother Clematis wrote:
Can I ask what about it speaks to you?

I like the combination of beaches and history. And kosher food.
If you have other ideas for me I'd appreciate hearing them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics