Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bleeding when having BM

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:33 am
DS has been bleeding when he has a BM. He's had this before and the Dr said it was a fissure. This time I think it's the same but it seems like quite a bit of blood and 3 times in a row. Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this? DS said it doesn't hurt him and he wasn't pushing hard.

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:06 am
How old is your child? It could be hemorrhoids. In either case, it comes from sitting and squeezing for too long. You might want to give your child prunes to eat , or if the doctor says it's ok, a stool softener.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:38 am
amother OP wrote:
DS has been bleeding when he has a BM. He's had this before and the Dr said it was a fissure. This time I think it's the same but it seems like quite a bit of blood and 3 times in a row. Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this? DS said it doesn't hurt him and he wasn't pushing hard.

My child had this.

His pediatrician said it seemed like a fissure which was confirmed by a colonoscopy.

He was given a stool softener-I can't remember the name-a powder which we mixed into his drink.

It was very gentle and kept him regular. If we forgot he had to take Dulcolax which was much stronger to get him moving.

He's now an adult and still has a tendency towards constipation.

We did put as much fibre as we could into his diet, certain fruits helped but funnily enough wholemeal bread and pasta made him more constipated.

I hope this helps you OP.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 3:02 pm
Miralax

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 3:05 pm
Use miralax

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 3:07 pm
The stools aren't particularly hard

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 3:08 pm
Doesn't matter. Speaking from experience. Try it. It's harmless. If it doesn't work, try something else like preparation H cream or pads.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 4:04 pm
DS had this when he was around 8years. Colonoscopy confirmed a polyp.
Had it surgically removed as a day case, and problem solved. Never repeated.
Keep an eye out for next few days if prunes/miralax don't resolve, otherwise see paediatrician

tweety1

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 5:36 pm
DC had that. When I did a close visual inspection on DC bottom I noticed 2 small cuts. It took a few weeks till it went away.

m2

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:12 pm
My toddler just had perianal strep, which is a type of Strep A. (Same as strep in throat essentially just without typical strep symptoms.) She had a very red rash around the diaper area which wasn’t going away with diaper cream so I got her tested for strep after some googling. Apparently another symptom of Perianal strep can also be blood in the stool. Just an FYI cause I never had heard of Perianal strep before this.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:18 pm
m2 wrote:
My toddler just had perianal strep, which is a type of Strep A. (Same as strep in throat essentially just without typical strep symptoms.) She had a very red rash around the diaper area which wasn’t going away with diaper cream so I got her tested for strep after some googling. Apparently another symptom of Perianal strep can also be blood in the stool. Just an FYI cause I never had heard of Perianal strep before this.

This is why I open such threads. I had nothing to add but it’s good to hear ppls experiences and learn things to keep in back of my mommy brain in case this ever comes up for us.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
The stools aren't particularly hard

Were they hard within the last few weeks? Could've caused a tear.

dena613

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:20 pm
Can also be a symptom of IBD

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:01 pm
My toddler had this by the 2 years. He was scheduled for a colonoscopy to check for polyps. In the meantime it came out on its own…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics