Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
How old in a toddler bed? 9?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:09 pm
My 8 turning 9 dd has been sleeping on a twin size loft bed (like the top bunk of a bunk bed). For many reasons we want to take it out and don’t want another bunk bed. We have a small room and need to fit a lot of beds in it for the time being k”h till we one day move, etc.
I was going to get her a 30” bed from a Jewish store (actually measures 33, mattress is 30”) but then came across a bed on ikea that’s like a toddler bed but longer.
It measures 29 1/2 wide and 65 in length. A toddler bed is same width but 55 in length.
My concern is she’ll feel it’s babyish. Like it’s the same height as a toddler bed, and I’m afraid it won’t look like a twin/big bed like mommy’s.

Any advice? Did you ever have an older kid in a toddler/smallish bed? She’ll fit, it’s more I’m worried she’ll be disappointed Sad

Please be kind as I am working on my dovening and hishtadlus for a bigger place and am trying not to feel sad about our current space limitations.

Thanks! Tizku lmitzvot:)

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:12 pm
I totally get the struggle of being in a too-small apartment. That said, I wouldn't put an 8 or 9 year old in something that looks like a toddler bed.

For us, bunk beds are the solution.

It's hard. I try to keep in mind that Hashem can do anything, however impossible it may seem. And living in tight quarters teaches our children better middos.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:14 pm
It depends how big your 9 yo is. And her personality. My 8.5 yo wouldn't care but my mow 10 wouldn't have it at that age.
Also, is your dh handy? Can you add leg height so it sits taller? Cuz then it's like a smallish twin bed rather than a bigish baby bed.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:16 pm
Thanks Smile
We r done w bunks for the time being. After climbing on top for a sick kid throwing up, then dealing with lice and many linen changes, and biggest reason is the little kids treat it like a jungle gym and it’s simply not safe.
I do realize a bunk has less “jungle gym” looking bars then probably a loft does tho.

If I get the ikea bed im paying someone to build it iyh we r not handy, so perhaps I can ask him to make it taller? Thanks for the suggestion!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:18 pm
The 30” bed from the Jewish store would be normal height, only I’d have to find a friend who wants the other half. They don’t sell half a bunk bed and I only want the bottom+trundle.
So if anyones interested let me know!
So that’s why I’m strongly considering the ikea option.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:26 pm
30" is very narrow for a 9 year old. She'll need more space as she gets older.
Standard size is 39".

mommyhood

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:35 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
Standard size is 39".

Our beds in seminary and camp were 30” and it’s plenty of space if that’s what you have. Now that I’m used to bigger it’s hard to go back but for a kid and teen it’s fine.
OP I would not go with the toddler bed. I’m picturing friends walking in the room and assuming it’s a siblings bed and how embarrassing it would feel for the older kid to admit that it’s theirs.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:38 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
Standard size is 39".

Width or length? My (girl) teens are on beds that are 33" wide (length is like twin 72") and are fine.

Op, I just had a 9 year old throw up all over a top bunk, so I get you. I wouldn't get a 9 year old a small bed, if possible. They'll be maturing before you know it

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:47 pm
Mine is. It’s very unfortunate but it’s reality. We just don’t have more space .

gootlfriends

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:48 pm
I currently have all of my children in bunkbeds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics