Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
How to keep a 6 and 7 yo busy on school nights

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:14 pm
So I can avoid major sibling fighting? They need to be busy constantly.

Are there kid friendly online games or apps? Is there any after school activities? Do you have ideas that work for you at home and help you keep your sanity?

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:17 pm
Do you have neighbors that they can each play with?
Perler beads keep my 7 yo very busy.
I’d keep them on opposite schedules, one doing homework while the other showers and vice versa.
Unless they have screen time already I’d hesitate to introduce that.

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:18 pm
When I have a structured activity planned it cuts out the fighting. So we do crafts, puzzles, bake, lego activities etc...it's more work for me at night as I need to have activities and do it with them but it cuts out the fighting.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:40 pm
Family games. If homework and supper are completed by 6.20, I let them choose a game for all to play. Set a time that works for u.
Also, with my 5 year old, I try having a schedule for whole I'm trying to bake supper and she's home. Like Mondays she colors, Tues she plays a building toy, Wed is books and Thursday she helps peel vegetables that I use for shbs food(she's so proud of this). This keeps her entertained and helps keep things exciting

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:44 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
Do you have neighbors that they can each play with?
Perler beads keep my 7 yo very busy.
I’d keep them on opposite schedules, one doing homework while the other showers and vice versa.
Unless they have screen time already I’d hesitate to introduce that.

No neighbors because for some reason they don’t like playing with the neighbors lately
We were never able to get the perler beads to melt
I think regular bracelet beading would be nice something- any links to a good kit?

They won’t shower or do homework without me

No screentime during weeknight

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:44 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
When I have a structured activity planned it cuts out the fighting. So we do crafts, puzzles, bake, lego activities etc...it's more work for me at night as I need to have activities and do it with them but it cuts out the fighting.

Can you link? I’m very not knowledgeable in this area. If you have ideas please link or share. I’d really appreciate

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:45 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Family games. If homework and supper are completed by 6.20, I let them choose a game for all to play. Set a time that works for u.
Also, with my 5 year old, I try having a schedule for whole I'm trying to bake supper and she's home. Like Mondays she colors, Tues she plays a building toy, Wed is books and Thursday she helps peel vegetables that I use for shbs food(she's so proud of this). This keeps her entertained and helps keep things exciting

This is awesome and super helpful thanks

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:46 pm
I just want to put out there that I bought annual passes for my kids for skyzone for the year. It came out to 159 per child and we go at least once a weeknight. The kids love it and really get their energy out. I am not sure if the special is still on but you can check with them

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:48 pm
amother Olive wrote:
I just want to put out there that I bought annual passes for my kids for skyzone for the year. It came out to 159 per child and we go at least once a weeknight. The kids love it and really get their energy out. I am not sure if the special is still on but you can check with them

Sadly I can’t spend $159 per child right now

Also when we go the kids jump for 5 minutes and get board or beg for me to spend more money on the arcade games.
Thanks for the idea though, I can see how it might work for some families

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:48 pm
Mindware sells some awesome dot to dot books that kept my kids busy at that age. They also have other educational activity books that are fun.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you link? I’m very not knowledgeable in this area. If you have ideas please link or share. I’d really appreciate

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kor.....41307

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:11 pm
I got this for my 6 year old girl and was my best purchase! She can do it all by herself, there is so much to do with it and she can use so much creativity. Best part is no mess! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BV.....;th=1

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:18 pm
There is tehillim zoom every night at 6:00 with guest singers. My kids love it and theres raffles and singing. Go to inkrediblekids.org to see schedule of singers and zoom info

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:16 pm
Playdoh with playdoh toys
Word search book
Mazes
Dot to dots
Coloring cutting activities with paper, Paper plates
Toys playing with Lego magnatiles
Clics
Walkie talkies
Cheap lazer tag set
Circle magazine...get old ones from neighbor if you don't subscribe
There are free stories on a phone number
Doing homework
Running an errand
Baking
Painting with washable paint
Checkers or connect 4
Reading books
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries