Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Options for study/work experience in Israel post Sem
1  2  Next

emunapashuta

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 6:19 am
Hi my daughter finishes Sem this year at the age of 17 in the UK and I’m looking for options for her either studying or work experience in Israel still in a relatively frum setting, ie studying girls only, work experience sensitivity to a frum girl. Any help or guidance really appreciated.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:09 am
To work legally in Israel she would either need to make aliyah or get a work visa.

And you request is very general. What is she interested in?
And to study or to learn? Hebrew? English?

Elfrida

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:12 am
What does she want to study? There are plenty of frum, women's only colleges. Is her Hebrew good enough, or does she need English?

What kind if field would she want to get work experience in? Is she looking to volunteer, or a paid job? Again, what language?

Where will she be living? Most shared girls apartments are in their twenties, not late teens.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:21 am
emunapashuta wrote:
Hi my daughter finishes Sem this year at the age of 17 in the UK and I’m looking for options for her either studying or work experience in Israel still in a relatively frum setting, ie studying girls only, work experience sensitivity to a frum girl. Any help or guidance really appreciated.

17 is very young. There are a lot of options but many of them are from 18+ What is her Hebrew like?

emunapashuta

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:56 am
Thanks so much… so she has Israeli citizenship… but her hebrew is very basic… she’s very intelligent (moved up a year) and currently doing a maths n biology a level. She is potentially interested in medicine or something similar maths/science but she’s interested in working with people… the truth is she’s not 100% sure what she wants to do, and if she wants to do medicine would need more credits than 2 a levels… so would be happy for her to study another science or get work experience in the medical/ science field. Okay with paid or voluntary work. Thanks again… really appreciate the responses!

Elfrida

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 12:30 pm
I'm still a bit confused. Are you thinking of her studying in a high school type place in Israel and doing a science based bagrut? She would need good Hebrew for that, and bagrut is more than one year studying. I'm not really familiar with any framework that would be able to accommodate her. The maslulim in Beis Yaakov kitot יג and יד are more job focused, not really about preparing the girls for further study.

youngmother6

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 12:42 pm
Machon Tal has an American program to study computer science.
If she can do Hebrew they have lots of math and science options.

Rappel

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 1:02 pm
I assume you've considered Sheirut Leumi? She can choose sheirut in a frum environment, and live in a frum place that you arrange for her.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 1:13 pm
emunapashuta wrote:
Thanks so much… so she has Israeli citizenship… but her hebrew is very basic… she’s very intelligent (moved up a year) and currently doing a maths n biology a level. She is potentially interested in medicine or something similar maths/science but she’s interested in working with people… the truth is she’s not 100% sure what she wants to do, and if she wants to do medicine would need more credits than 2 a levels… so would be happy for her to study another science or get work experience in the medical/ science field. Okay with paid or voluntary work. Thanks again… really appreciate the responses!

Just to give us an idea of type of program - which high school/seminary is she in right now?

If you are more open, she could do sherut leumi in a hospital or yad sarah or tipat chalav. If you want a beis yaakov style, you'd be looking at mivchar in Bnei Brak or Machon Wingate possibly. Shaarei tzedek have a nursing school but I don't think just biology and maths would get her in. What are her physics and chemistry like?

Elfrida

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 1:33 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
Just to give us an idea of type of program - which high school/seminary is she in right now?

If you are more open, she could do sherut leumi in a hospital or yad sarah or tipat chalav. If you want a beis yaakov style, you'd be looking at mivchar in Bnei Brak or Machon Wingate possibly. Shaarei tzedek have a nursing school but I don't think just biology and maths would get her in. What are her physics and chemistry like?

Any of these degree programmes want full bagrut, or the equivalent from another country as part if the entrance requirements. Two A levels isn't going to be enough.

Sherut leumi could work, but isn't a chareidi environment. I don't know if they take seventeen year olds, or if you have to be eighteen.

savta3

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 1:43 pm
Laniado (a frum hospital in Netanya) has a nursing school.
She should make sure to improve her Hebrew this year - and maybe also get another A Level.

https://www.laniado.org.il/%D7.....7%AA/

emunapashuta

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 2:17 pm
Thanks again for all the responses, this is already very helpful. Right now she’s in a Sem called Shalsheles. She’s good at physics also, but her Sem only offered 2 a levels so this is all she has for now. Think she wants to feel things out in Israel before committing to a full year program. Even just the names, mean that perhaps I can contact these institutions and see if there’s anything they could offer. Prefer beis Yaacov style but would be open to sherut leumi…

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 2:57 pm
what about a Shana bet programme in Israel. if she coupled that with studying which a lot of girls do she has a safe warm place to stay (a SEM) and is with girls more or less her age

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 3:02 pm
emunapashuta wrote:
Thanks again for all the responses, this is already very helpful. Right now she’s in a Sem called Shalsheles. She’s good at physics also, but her Sem only offered 2 a levels so this is all she has for now. Think she wants to feel things out in Israel before committing to a full year program. Even just the names, mean that perhaps I can contact these institutions and see if there’s anything they could offer. Prefer beis Yaacov style but would be open to sherut leumi…

The Beis yaakov schools here run 12th grade until age 18, then two or three years of professional development. Most of them don't do the science options at all for hashkafic reasons but they have excellent programs for computer science, teaching, graphics, design, architecture, music, teaching, and a few more. I'm not sure where a 17 yr old would fit in, especially if her Hebrew isn't great - I don't think they'd take a 17 yr old without either bagrut or chutzim onto the professional development program. I guess she could try joining a 12th grade BY but she'd have 3 or 4 yrs further schooling ahead of her and you'd have to work out the dorming piece. Also, having grown up in the UK and having daughters in the Israeli system, I think she'd really struggle with some of the work.

If you want my honest opinion as a mother of teens in yerushalayim, I wouldn't send a 17 yr old here unless you have a family who will really take care of her, a proper school or work option in a safe environment and a group of friends.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 3:24 pm
Some places require SATs. You need to contacts them.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 3:36 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Any of these degree programmes want full bagrut, or the equivalent from another country as part if the entrance requirements. Two A levels isn't going to be enough.

Sherut leumi could work, but isn't a chareidi environment. I don't know if they take seventeen year olds, or if you have to be eighteen.

She can do mechina no?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 3:46 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
She can do mechina no?

Mechina is only if you finish 12th grade first or reach 18 plus 2 yrs in yeshiva. I don't think 2 a levels in a 17 yr old would qualify.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 4:34 pm
emunapashuta wrote:
Thanks again for all the responses, this is already very helpful. Right now she’s in a Sem called Shalsheles.

I couldn't find any references to this on line. If she's doing A levels, then it must be part time kodesh and part time regular studies? Like a Sixth form, but maybe more time on Kodesh? In that case, and considering her age, maybe she could just spend a year in a regular seminary in Israel. Almost all seminaries have some kind if volunteer programme, and she would have the time to improve her Hebrew, maybe take the psychometric exam, and find out about different options for further study while she is there.

amother
Cherry

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 4:59 pm
Just think about where she would live as well. Good luck in your decision.

emunapashuta

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 5:30 pm
Thanks again… so in the UK school goes up to 11th grade, and then Sem is a 2yr program. She went to a Sem that offered a levels. She doesn’t really want a Sem experience as she just did 2yrs in with quite intense learning. She loves Israel and would love to spend some time there doing something constructive. We do have families and friends we know, as did live there a while ago… will perhaps contact some of the institutions listed and see if she can get some work experience for a few months… could be long shot… but I’m guaranteed to fail if I don’t try. Thanks again
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children