Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Books on Emunah and Bitachon

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 10:56 am
Which book leaves a powerful lesson on emunah and batachon and is also interesting to read? if it's written in a boring way I will not read past the first paragraph.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 11:47 am
Living emunah by Rabbi ashear

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:29 pm
Also, there is a book by Rabbi Sutton. I forgot what it's called.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:30 pm
amother Rose wrote:
Living emunah by Rabbi ashear

I find his books interesting from a story telling standpoint.

But it also seems that almost all his stories have happy endings where bad things miraculously go away away and everything works out. I don't think that is what emunah and bitochon are about at all.

Cressel

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Which book leaves a powerful lesson on emunah and batachon and is also interesting to read? if it's written in a boring way I will not read past the first paragraph.

I found "Chizuk By R' Eliezer Parkoff" to be incredibly inspiring
https://www.amazon.com/Chizuk-.....53336

I also gained a lot from this book for R' Asher Resnick :
https://www.amazon.com/Pain-Re.....70973

amother
Ultramarine

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:53 pm
Living emunah
Just One word emunah
Nefesh Shimshon on emunah
Understanding emunah
Garden of emunah
A daily dose of bitachon
Nesivos sholom on emunah

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:18 pm
Garden of emunah

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:57 pm
I'm surprised people find the living emunah books helpful. I think almost all of them have stories where.....a poor man had no money, was about to be evicted, kept his emunah, and suddenly there's a knock on his door with a bag full of money.

This is not how emunah works.

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 2:20 pm
amother Coral wrote:
I'm surprised people find the living emunah books helpful. I think almost all of them have stories where.....a poor man had no money, was about to be evicted, kept his emunah, and suddenly there's a knock on his door with a bag full of money.

This is not how emunah works.

I think that it's just not the full picture.
I agree, that a deeper message of emuna is that Hashem is good irrespective of the outcome.

But I think that they can have their place. They can give people hope.

I think that there's a place for this, & then there's a place for Rab Zusha stories, for instance, where his level if emunah was so high that nothing he was experiencing was perceived as a problem which shouldn't be happening. It's multifaceted & I think there's what to be gained from the easily perceivable "happy ending" ones too.

Like the topic of segulas, it's nuanced & prone to misunderstanding, giving the "power" to superstition cv.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 2:26 pm
I like the Bais halevi on bitachon written by rabbi Sutton. It Gives a very clear understanding on what bitachon is and how to attain it.

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 2:38 pm
Honestly, ive been learning shaar habitachon of chovos halevavos. Its dry but the real deal. Im gaining a lot from it. I didnt like the more flowery style of books on emunah.

The artscroll version of shaar habitachon has nice explanations and easy to read translation.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 3:00 pm
amother Daphne wrote:
I think that it's just not the full picture.
I agree, that a deeper message of emuna is that Hashem is good irrespective of the outcome.

But I think that they can have their place. They can give people hope.

I think that there's a place for this, & then there's a place for Rab Zusha stories, for instance, where his level if emunah was so high that nothing he was experiencing was perceived as a problem which shouldn't be happening. It's multifaceted & I think there's what to be gained from the easily perceivable "happy ending" ones too.

Like the topic of segulas, it's nuanced & prone to misunderstanding, giving the "power" to superstition cv.

I hear you. But I strongly suspect that the posters here who want to learn about bitochon and emunah are going thru a personal situation/crisis. The question is whether this author's emunah books are good. They certainly give hope, but it's really false hope as almost all the stories have good endings.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 3:24 pm
[quote="amother Steel"]Honestly, ive been learning shaar habitachon of chovos halevavos. Its dry but the real deal. Im gaining a lot from it. I didnt like the more flowery style of books on emunah.

The artscroll version of shaar habitachon has nice explanations and easy to read translation.[/quote]

100% agree with this.

Lizzie4

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 12:37 pm
I love the Rubashkin book, especially the last chapter and added part where he talks about concepts for life

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 11:08 pm
Which book would be best for me?
I want to learn some emunah and bitachon lessons to help me cope with a mil and her emotional abuse.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 4:31 am
The Garden of Emunah by Harav Shalom Arush

Best book out there!

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 4:42 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
The Garden of Emunah by Harav Shalom Arush

Best book out there!

I actually think his book works for some, but it's very individual, I did not find it helped me.

OP, I would do Beis Halevi on bitachon or just one word emunah. Or even a daily dose of bitachon. None of those are happy ending books

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 5:16 am
I am almost finished reading Let’s Face It, the 8 essential challenges of living by rebbetzin Tzipporah Heller. I think it will have a lot of what you are looking for.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:24 am
living emunah should be read in order? or can I start with living emunah 5?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 1:33 pm
You can start with any of the living emunah books
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational