Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What is everyone serving for the Third-Meal, Erev Tisha B'av
1  2  3  4  Next

Mishie

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 3:44 am
What's your menu this Shabbos for Third-Meal, Erev Tisha'ah B'Av?

I'm still undecided....
But, pretty sure Grilled Salmon is on the menu...
need to think what else to serve with it....

sarahd

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 5:13 am
All dh wants is jarred gefilte fish shock and lots of challah. I have somewhat higher standards, so definitely a lukshen-cheese kugel and some salads. Grapes, maybe watermelon.

We're having a guest with severe health issues and lots of diet restrictions so I'll have to plan something for him too, after I speak to him and find out what the restrictions are.

ShiningThrough

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 5:17 am
DH will likely have fleishics, I'll have lots of salad, quinoa or kasha and probably some baked salmon. We eat really differently. Best to go heavy on the fresh veggies and whole grains, add some light protein (chicken breast, fish, or raw nuts).

Don't forget to take your multi- or prenatal vitamin before the fast with LOTS of water! Smile

Cdlf

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 8:23 am
We don't eat fish before a fast and I thought it was a universal thing. I guess I was wrong. And I had to laugh when I read the grapes and watermellon because that's something my mother always insisted we ate before a fast. I also drink vitamin water all day.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 10:03 am
I'm thinking of having a crock pot with Chicken, brown rice, and potatoes. I can't think of anything to serve that is as filling and won't be too heavy. Plus my husband does not like tuna, eggs, or fish. So there is not really any good protien to serve that meal. I checked and it is okay to eat meat until shkia on shabbos.
Does anybody leave a cholent on the blech ever? How do you do it?
I'm trying to think of a way to free up my crockpot if I cannot find a 2nd one to borrow.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 10:07 am
sky wrote:
I'm thinking of having a crock pot with Chicken, brown rice, and potatoes. I can't think of anything to serve that is as filling and won't be too heavy. Plus my husband does not like tuna, eggs, or fish. So there is not really any good protien to serve that meal. I checked and it is okay to eat meat until shkia on shabbos.
I'm trying to think of a way to free up my crockpot if I cannot find a 2nd one to borrow.

does he eat in the 9 days? shock or is he one of those that attends a siyum every day or else he'll starve?

Lani22

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 10:12 am
I plan on having tuna and egg salad, bagels and cream cheese, pasta salad, tossed salad, grapes and watermelon

sunshine!

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 10:14 am
I thought that fish is frowned upon because it makes you thirsty. Correct me if I am wrong.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 10:19 am
do you eat fish before yom kippur? we eat 2 seudos & one is always fish. and we eat fish at our 2nd seudah too.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 10:21 am
sky wrote:

I make my chulent every week in a pot and put it on the blech for shabbos. Dh likes it much better than in the crockpot. On Friday morning I make the chulent in a pot and let it cook directly on the flame. Later on I just put it on the blech directly on top of the fire. If it is bubbling too much I slide in slightly away from the flame. It's soo easy and comes out great! (Just be careful if you keep it on top of a flame that is too strong your water will dry up quickly.)

sunshine!

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 10:23 am
Chaylizi, we do eat fish before Yom Kippur, but it is the first meal we eat fish at. THe second meal is usually light proteins and starch, with lots of fluid.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 10:23 am
I didn't start thinking about my Shabbat menu yet...maybe I'll make extra lunch to reheat for dinner.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 10:29 am
chaylizi wrote:

does he eat in the 9 days? shock or is he one of those that attends a siyum every day or else he'll starve?

He doesn't make siyums unless they happen to fall out. He was ready to make a siyum about 3 weeks ago (from daf yomi) and hasn't made it yet and will not make during the 9 days for that reason. We eat plenty:

Pizza
Falafel and Pita
Eggplant Parmesan (easy - not fried)
avacado spread sandwiches

lots of soups and salads - we will not starve!

Tonight I'm making teriyaki salmon and I'm hoping that he will give in and eat it - especially because it was so expensive. I like it so I will enjoy it. I have some maccaroni and cheese ready as a back just in case.

sarahzeldman

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 1:44 pm
How do you make your crockpot chicken wiht brown rice and potatoes? Do you add water? Spices?

sky

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 1:51 pm
sarahzeldman wrote:
How do you make your crockpot chicken wiht brown rice and potatoes? Do you add water? Spices?

I'm not really sure myself.
I was thinking of layering brown rice, sliced sweet potatoe and chicken in the crockpot then spreaking duck sauce on top of the chicken. Adding water - I am not sure how much. I would probably set it on 5 to cook through before shabbos. Add more water before shabbos and then lower to 3.

I have never done this before so I would appreciate any ideas from people who have.

I think I buy bagels just in case this does not work -we could always eat after the fast also

debs123

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 2:09 pm
I'm making a loxs salad with lettuce, eggs, asparagus olives and mayo dressing and then pastrami wraps. Yes, fish and meat as light as I can make it. DH always makes a big inyan when shabbos comes out close to 9 av.

sarahzeldman

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 2:13 pm
I always make crockpot chicken for lunch, so I wanted to see how someone else made it! Here's my recipe:

http://www.healthyshabbat.com/......html

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 2:13 pm
mY HUSBAND WILL BE EATING IN SHTEIBEL BUT I WILL BE MAKING QUINOA, SALMON, OATMEAL COOKIES AND PROB LEFTOVER CHULENT!! YUM! Smile

queen

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 11:11 pm
we were trying to figure this out tonight!!!!! Not coming up with too much that is tempting.

Presently, we have tuna and egg with challah rolls, lockshen kugel, israeli salad, and fruit/melons....... what else????

Tova

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 12:14 am
I think I will buy bagels.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus