Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How can I get my sourdough starter to double?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:52 pm
My starter doesn't double the last few times, I think it's because the house is too cold.
What can I do? I tried wrapping in a blanket, putting next to peculator, in oven just with light on...
What else?

realsilver

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 10:00 pm
is it dead?
maybe get a new one. or try to feed it double- like after 6 hours feed it again and see what happens. if it still doesnt double, its not alive anymore.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 10:05 pm
realsilver wrote:
is it dead?
maybe get a new one. or try to feed it double- like after 6 hours feed it again and see what happens. if it still doesnt double, its not alive anymore.
If it grows at all its not dead.

OP are you feeding with warm water? I like to leave mine near the stove while I'm cooking.

If it's growing but not doubling it's also possible your ratios are off, iow too little flour for too much starter. So the starter is eating all the flour and then it's left hungry.

Fwiw my starter doesn't always double fully but it still passes the float test and makes awesome bread so...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 10:09 pm
I know the issue is my house because when I take my starter along to my workplace it doubles nicely.
I do 80 g water 80 g flour and 2 spoons of starter

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 10:17 pm
What kind of flour are you using?

What water are you using?

Are you seeing any activity at all (bubbles)?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 10:22 pm
Regular white flour, sink water. I see lots of bubbles but it only rises like a quarter. Then I'm getting such heavy bread out of it, almost impossible to eat

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 10:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Regular white flour, sink water. I see lots of bubbles but it only rises like a quarter. Then I'm getting such heavy bread out of it, almost impossible to eat

Try using bottled spring water and 50% whole wheat or rye flour. Water that is chlorinated affects the starter. Whole wheat and rye add a lot of nutrients that white flour doesn't have, especially if your flour is bleached.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics