Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Decorators: What would you do to update this kitchen?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:13 am
Decorators: What would you do to update this kitchen?

I dislike the floors, but floor is in perfect shape, and I priced redoing the floor, it adds $5,000+ to cost and painting cabinets another $5,000+, so I think at this point I want to get as modern a look as I can with only changing the counter and backsplash and fixtures, and sinks, etc (leaving cabinets and floor as is).

tia

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:22 am
I’m not a decorator, but for the record, we can search this image and find the address and therefore find out who you are…

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:30 am
I'm not a decorator, and I don't even think the kitchen is so bad looking (that's simple me talking). It has some nice features.

I'm not crazy about the backsplash. Replace with a more solid tile, or other solid backsplash? If you were also replacing the counters, do something that goes together. And also has to tie in with the island counter. Or maybe replace all of them with something matching. And update the sink/faucet while you are at it, with something more current. If there's only one sink in the kitchen, you will want two sinks. Trust me on that (I lived with one for 4 years).

You could get rid of the doorknob-style cabinet pulls, with an elongated pull that is more current. However there will be a whole in the drawers that has to be covered.

The paint color has gotta go, too. I would just do white, to make the kitchen more light and airy.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:30 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
I’m not a decorator, but for the record, we can search this image and find the address and therefore find out who you are…

So just don’t.

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:33 am
amother Obsidian wrote:

Why!?! Do you have so much time on your hands? Why do you care? Respect the person’s privacy!!!

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:38 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
Why!?! Do you have so much time on your hands? Why do you care? Respect the person’s privacy!!!

I don’t think she was saying she would, I think she was saying that OP should be careful because she rheorwtically could have just told this entire site who she is and where she lives. If she wants her anonymity protected, maybe there’s a better way to ask for help.

Librarian

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:42 am
Paint the cabinets white, update hardware. Stainless steel sink. Update the light fixture over the island, change the boob light on top of sink to led spotlight. Change counters and backsplash to quartzite if you can afford it, quartz if not. If you end up being able to retile the floor use 36x36 or 24x48 porclein tile. Neutral color. For hardware, cool metallics are back in style but pick what you like. Paint walls a beautiful white.

Last edited by Librarian on Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:43 am
You can reface or paint the cabinets and it’s not a huge expense but if ur keeping. I would change the knobs, fixture over the island

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:44 am
I think it looks like a good kitchen. You can update it by painting, putting in 2 sinks and faucets, replacing the countertops (including matching for the island), and updating lighting fixture.

You can replace the cabinet knobs for something more if you want to, but that's optional and something you can do yourself to match up with your new faucets with an Amazon purchase and a screwdriver.

Enjoy the new home!

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jan 02 2024, 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:59 am
amother Obsidian wrote:

I tried that before I posted. I got kitchens all over the USA.

Whats the big secret, anyhow?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:00 pm
My main question is, if I keep the cabinets and the floor, what color granite would look best?

I like busy granite counters.

Orangehead

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:01 pm
I don't know how easy it is to reface the cabinets. I know people who did it and it does not look very nice. I would replace the fixture above the sink (possible above the island as well), new backsplash and new counters.
I am not a designer

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I think it looks like a good kitchen. You can update it by painting white, putting in 2 sinks and faucets, replacing the countertops (including matching for the island).

You can replace the cabinet knobs for something more if you want to, but that's optional and something you can do yourself to match up with your new faucets with an Amazon purchase and a screwdriver.

Enjoy the new home!

Thanks.

What shade of granite would you do for counters, if youd keep the cabinets and floor?

cupcake123

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:04 pm
I'm not a designer but I have a pretty modern upto date kitchen and I have to say I like this kitchen a lot! I would just change the light fixtures

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:04 pm
I wouldn't do anything costly

Painting or refacing cabinets so that it is done properly is quite expensive and the finish is less durable than the wood you have now.

You have a white counter which is pretty classic. Unless the counter is in bad shape or otherwise not functional, I wouldn't change it - why spend $5000 or so for no reason.

I would swap out the overhead fixture as that is relatively easy to do and simple - the chandelier as well as the "boob" light over the sink.

While the backsplash isn't "trendy", it is fairly innocuous and when you remove the backsplash you could potentially harm the counter.

Other than that I would do some stuff that makes your kitchen more functional - you have very few drawers so I would have all of the lower cabinets retrofitted with pullouts for added functionality.

It looks like you might not have great lighting because all I see is the chandelier over the island and one boob light over the sink. I would add under cabinet lights which are relatively inexpensive to add. If I wanted to splurge, I might add canned lights depending on the cost.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
My main question is, if I keep the cabinets and the floor, what color granite would look best?

I like busy granite counters.

I replaced my counters with granite (actually some say it's quartzite, whatever). I went down to the yard and looked at different slabs, saw some that had some swirl that would match my cabinets and floor. They gave me a few little square samples to bring home and hold against the cabinet and floor, and I chose the one that looked best.

I did a tile backsplash, I found a tile in Lowes that worked well with my counters. Since I did a swirly busy granite, I went with a solid subway-style tile backsplash. I didn't want to detract from the beauty of the granite. And I don't like hexagon shapes, etc...I like a clean look.

Librarian

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:08 pm
A budget friendly way of updating your floor is high quality vinyl "wood" planks. They come in great colors and can look quite real. Get "click" type, not glue down. Can probably go right over existing tile. I would spend the money on the counters and backsplash and painting the cabinets. You can add under the counter led lighting for minimal cost.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:11 pm
Librarian wrote:
Paint the cabinets white, update hardware. Stainless steel sink. Update the light fixture over the island, change the boob light on top of sink to led spotlight. Change counters and backsplash to quartzite if you can afford it, quartz if not. If you end up being able to retile the floor use 36x36 or 24x48 porclein tile. Neutral color. For hardware, cool metallics are back in style but pick what you like. Paint walls a beautiful white.

Lol on boob light! I have one of those in my kids room and my husband jokes that all my babies are obsessed with staring at it because it looks familiar LOL
(Yes, he knows that babies are attracted to light and it has nothing to do with the shape)

Librarian

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks.

What shade of granite would you do for counters, if youd keep the cabinets and floor?

Your best bet is to bring a drawer to the stone yard.
If you like busy granite, kol hakovod! You should do what you like that is most important! But you asked about updating the kitchen. Busy granite is not an update. But there is nothing as timeless as natural stone. That is why I suggested quartzite. If you can find a granite that you like that has less movement, that would be an update. Light color.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:13 pm
Librarian wrote:
A budget friendly way of updating your floor is high quality vinyl "wood" planks. They come in great colors and can look quite real. Get "click" type, not glue down. Can probably go right over existing tile. I would spend the money on the counters and backsplash and painting the cabinets. You can add under the counter led lighting for minimal cost.

They can't go over tile

Removing tile is expensive and messy.

Until OP wants to spend the money for a full kitchen remodel, why spend on cosmetic fixes.

The kitchen isn't trendy but it looks very clean and in good condition.

I made a few suggestions that are relatively inexpensive and would improve the function of the kitchen - which is what matters.

I did a full gut remodel a few years ago, but my kitchen was much older than this - I had lived with it for many years - and it had reached the end of its functional life as it was almost 50 years old in terms of the age of the cabinets although there had been minor stuff done through the years.

I don't regret it but I also don't regret not "wasting" money on stuff rather than saving it and then having it done right.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen