Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My son can’t walk suddenly- update pg4
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:02 pm
Librarian wrote:
I did not notice any.

Thanks. Do you remember how it was diagnosed?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:03 pm
amother Red wrote:
Have them check for osteomyelitis. Sibling had it as a child and was hospitalized for a week plus on home IV antibiotics for a while after. Only sign was pain and not wanting to walk...

Thanks. Gosh.

Ill add to my list..

Busybee5

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:07 pm
amother Copper wrote:
My 4 DS was ill with a virus last week Nd couldn't walk but he couldn't sit either because he was so weak bit bh it passed.
I saw you wrote that in your country it's a 12 hour wait in hospital and bloodworm for kids is only done in hospital.
Are you in the UK? Because this is how it works here but I would have some advice if your are in London

You wait 12 hours in A&E? That's a long time. I'm in Manchester, and don't wait nearly half as long as that. Max about 3-4 hours. That sounds brutal.

Op, I think I'd call hatzolo and say that it's not urgent when you call. They'll still probably race to you, and arrive fast.

Refuah sheleima to all of you. I hope it's nothing serious with your son.

Last edited by Busybee5 on Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:09 pm
He’s limping only one side. He just had a virus. Definitely sounds like Synovitis. I hope.

Thanks everyone for responding.

Librarian

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Do you remember how it was diagnosed?

It is a differential diagnosis. The blood work and x-rays ruled out Osteomyelitis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and other possible causes.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:21 pm
As soon as they had the blood results even before xray and MRI they immediately started treating him with antibiotocs, even though they didnt know exactly what it was .

Also after being moved to another hospital we had xrays done immediately at 2am, they didnt wait.

If there is something in the blood ch"v they wont make you wait.

I hope its nothing.

A few years after he was limping very slightly.
They took it very seriously considering his history.
Bh it was nothing. They also said it was probably after a virus or something.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:23 pm
I think the 2 main things are septic arthritis and osteomylitis.

And with my child it came on very suddenly.
He woke up one morning like that.

Im so sorry youre not feeling well now.
I dont live in London. I wish I could help you.

I would maybe call hatzoloh.
Or call 111 to discuss.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:24 pm
I had 2 children with pain walking. 2 dif years...
1 had perthes and 1 had osteomyelitis

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:27 pm
The reason I asked if you are in London is that I had a child with a medical condition and I know what A&E is all about especially in some hospitals but I learned some things on the way.
Best A&E is UCLH, they are also a fab hospital if there is any long term condition. The last year I have only used UCLH and have been really happy, it's decently quick wait 3 hours in and out for leg swelling including x-ray. They are also very thorough, if they are unsure what is going on they will do every test under the sun to check and I know this from friends and family who have had to go in. I really recommend going in to UCLH to check him out.
Also, if your GP wants to run blood tests then usually you need to book an appointment in hospital for that. What I have done the last few times is, I take the form from the GP and I call refua diagnostics, he sends someone to the house and for around £70 does the blood test at home usually same day and drops it off by the local hospital and the results go back to the GP.
I could be it's this nasty flu and I think you should do as you feel, if the GP isn't worried and you don't feel worried then you can wait but if your are unsure it worried then it's worth it checking.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:37 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
I think the 2 main things are septic arthritis and osteomylitis.

And with my child it came on very suddenly.
He woke up one morning like that.

Im so sorry youre not feeling well now.
I dont live in London. I wish I could help you.

I would maybe call hatzoloh.
Or call 111 to discuss.

Thank you very much.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:41 pm
amother Copper wrote:
The reason I asked if you are in London is that I had a child with a medical condition and I know what A&E is all about especially in some hospitals but I learned some things on the way.
Best A&E is UCLH, they are also a fab hospital if there is any long term condition. The last year I have only used UCLH and have been really happy, it's decently quick wait 3 hours in and out for leg swelling including x-ray. They are also very thorough, if they are unsure what is going on they will do every test under the sun to check and I know this from friends and family who have had to go in. I really recommend going in to UCLH to check him out.
Also, if your GP wants to run blood tests then usually you need to book an appointment in hospital for that. What I have done the last few times is, I take the form from the GP and I call refua diagnostics, he sends someone to the house and for around £70 does the blood test at home usually same day and drops it off by the local hospital and the results go back to the GP.
I could be it's this nasty flu and I think you should do as you feel, if the GP isn't worried and you don't feel worried then you can wait but if your are unsure it worried then it's worth it checking.

Thanks. Definitely want to avoid Royal Free. Do they have parking? If it’s worse tomorrow I think I’ll go or at least call Haztola and see what they say. This particular child has behavioral issues and getting him to take a blood test is h-ll.

I hope my other children will be able to resume school (they are 90% better) and I’ll feel better after a good nights sleep.

Thank you to all those that responded!

exhausted

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:59 pm
I just want to say Refuah Shleima to all of you!! It's brutal getting bloodwork done on a child and it's brutal being sick as a Mommy!! I hope you all feel better very quickly!!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 4:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Definitely want to avoid Royal Free. Do they have parking? If it’s worse tomorrow I think I’ll go or at least call Haztola and see what they say. This particular child has behavioral issues and getting him to take a blood test is h-ll.

I hope my other children will be able to resume school (they are 90% better) and I’ll feel better after a good nights sleep.

Thank you to all those that responded!

There is no parking at UCLH, there might be some metred parking on the road but I am not sure. I usually take an Uber.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 4:58 pm
another person whose child had this and it turned out to be transient synovitis which is fairly benign

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:04 pm
My daughter had this and ended up being osteomyelitis. She was hospitalized for a week and had to be on IV antibiotics for a month and then hospitalized again because wasn’t cleared up.
Please get this checked out asap

farm

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:36 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
another person whose child had this and it turned out to be transient synovitis which is fairly benign

Same. And it took quite a while to resolve- weeks, not days.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:39 pm
For those that had transient synovitis diagnosed was it all through blood work?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:40 pm
OP please check this out. It could be GUILLAIN-BARRE SYNDROM. I had it not long ago. It's very rare but BH very treatable.

It's neurological. Does he have any other symptoms? Has it gotten worse? How did it progress?

avimom

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:49 pm
I didn't read through this whole thread but my son had this last week. He couldn't walk, was limping, one leg and lower back hurt. Strep, flu, covid, all negative. Doctor said it's likely a virus and to come back if it doesn't go away. It went away after a few days.
(In the past I've had a kid with this and it was strep.)

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:56 pm
Just had this with 2 year old. MRI showed an absess / an infection inside the knee that no one had been able to discover. 4 days of targeted IV antibiotics at the hospital.
Blood test was clear.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics