Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DS Doesn't want to go to sleepaway camp - thoughts??
1  2  3  Next

My 5th grade boy...
Goes to overnight camp  
 13%  [ 8 ]
Goes to daycamp  
 80%  [ 49 ]
Doesn't have a long summer break due to mandatory "school" (even if it's called something else in the summer)  
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 61

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:27 pm
I know summer seems a long way off, but with camp registrations opening soon, this is on my mind. My son (5th grade) doesn't want to go to overnight camp this summer. However, it seems like "that's what everyone does" in his friend group and that there aren't many other options for boys that age. He'd be the only one of my kids at home.

While I live OOT, I have the option to spend the summer in Brooklyn or Upstate - so I'm pretty open to whatever ideas you might have. We'd definitely like it to be a fairly frum environment.

To save you some time...What I'm not looking for LOL :

"Push him to go to overnight camp - otherwise how will he ever go to yeshiva/move out of your house /get married one day!!!"
"Take him to a therapist to figure out what his aversion is to overnight camp!!"
"You don't have to do things just because everyone else is!"
"Why is camp an expectation these days? When I was a kid, we played with sticks for hours on end (unsupervised) and we turned out just fine!"

What I am looking for: Names of day camps, yeshiva summer programs, mom groups, frum sports leagues, or other creative ideas, or even just letting me know that my kid is not the only one. Very Happy

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:29 pm
Def normal for a 5th grader not to be ready!!!
My kids start in 7th.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:32 pm
My fifth grader is going but it was very borderline. It’s still very young! I’m the end he really wanted to go but it’s so normal that he doesn’t want to! Lots more years for him to decide to go

blueiz

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:35 pm
Amother Forestgreen - what did your son do the summers before 7th grade?

And amother whose 5th grader wasn't sure - what was his other option?

So validating to hear that it's not just us Smile

mom of 8

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:43 pm
I send going into 7th. They go to DC till then. Brooklyn has noam and chaim that halve for that age

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:45 pm
Please do not push him to go!! He's just not ready. Boys figure out yeshiva when that time comes. I personally hate the idea of "if you can't do it now, how will you ever?" Ummmm it's called now I'm not ready and later I will be!

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:46 pm
blueiz wrote:
Amother Forestgreen - what did your son do the summers before 7th grade?

And amother whose 5th grader wasn't sure - what was his other option?

So validating to hear that it's not just us Smile

Day camp is still ok for this age! My son is only going to overnight one half and is doing day camp the other. Lots of boys are doing that, and some are just going to day camp both halves.

blueiz

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:56 pm
@darkgreen - fully agree! Hence my post.
@mom of 8 - thanks so much for sharing specific names of camps. Can you tell me a little bit about Chaim & Noam? The very little bit I could find with a google search seems like that might be what I'm looking for.
@denim - can you share which camp (if it's relevant)?

Can you tell me about what kind of boys go? What's the difference between the two? Where I could find more info like dates, rates, ages, past schedules or some idea of what kind of activities there are? Is either one the kind of place an OOT boy would fit in or everyone goes with their whole group from school? Seems like they both have very little online presence so I'd love whatever info you (or anyone else) could provide.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:01 am
Of course your 5th grader won’t be the only one staying home. 5th grade is very young to start sleep away camp. Many don’t start yet.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:04 am
My son will be going to day camp and he’s in 8th grade now/going into 9th grade. He has no interest in going to sleep away camp, even though many of his classmates (OOT) do.

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:04 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Of course your 5th grader won’t be the only one staying home. 5th grade is very young to start sleep away camp. Many don’t start yet.

Right, I meant he'd be the only in my household staying home, so it will be pretty boring if he doesn't have something else to do...and we don't live in the same neighborhood as most of his friends so it's not like they can just easily chill together.

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:06 am
bigsis144 wrote:
My son will be going to day camp and he’s in 8th grade now/going into 9th grade. He has no interest in going to sleep away camp, even though many of his classmates (OOT) do.

Assuming the day camp he attends is also OOT?

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:09 am
The youngest I allowed a child to go to camp is going into 8th grade, when majority of the class went.
Its very expensive and I don't think its necessary.
Daycamp is totally fine.

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:11 am
I know many people like to read the threads but not necessarily comment. I really appreciate everyone who has posted as it's making me feel a lot more comfortable with the decision not to send him/push him to know that it's not as socially odd as I might have assumed. If anyone has additional practical names/suggestions of good, frum day camps (or has info on Chaim or Noam which were suggested above) please do share.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:45 am
My nephew in the 5 Towns went to daycamp until after 8th grade. I believe almost all of the camps there have bunks for boys that age

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:09 am
Lots of kids that age don't go. My oldest wasn't ready and didn't go until he was going into 7th. And while he had a good time, he didn't love it that much that he wanted to go back. The next one went starting from the end of 4th grade and loved every second. That's the other thing, not everyone is a camp person. Some get really into it, some don't.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:12 am
blueiz wrote:
Assuming the day camp he attends is also OOT?

Yes, day camp is in the same city we live in; close enough for him to ride his scooter home.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:24 am
My 5th grade son who is the oldest in his class was asking to go to sleep away camp. I definitely didn’t let. He’s really too young. He needs to be busy all day and then come home. My heart goes out to the little kids who are forced to go and really don’t want to.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:35 am
amother OP wrote:
I know summer seems a long way off, but with camp registrations opening soon, this is on my mind. My son (5th grade) doesn't want to go to overnight camp this summer. However, it seems like "that's what everyone does" in his friend group and that there aren't many other options for boys that age. He'd be the only one of my kids at home.

While I live OOT, I have the option to spend the summer in Brooklyn or Upstate - so I'm pretty open to whatever ideas you might have. We'd definitely like it to be a fairly frum environment.

To save you some time...What I'm not looking for LOL :

"Push him to go to overnight camp - otherwise how will he ever go to yeshiva/move out of your house /get married one day!!!"
"Take him to a therapist to figure out what his aversion is to overnight camp!!"
"You don't have to do things just because everyone else is!"
"Why is camp an expectation these days? When I was a kid, we played with sticks for hours on end (unsupervised) and we turned out just fine!"

What I am looking for: Names of day camps, yeshiva summer programs, mom groups, frum sports leagues, or other creative ideas, or even just letting me know that my kid is not the only one. Very Happy

You’re doing this right. 5th grade is very young. I know one boy in 6th who Went to camp and was miserable and called home every day and refused to go back for years after - not just to the camp he was miserable in, but to ANY camp. Pushing when they are too young is never worth it and will hurt both if you in the long run. In 2-3 years if he’s still refusing you can then worry about it. I don’t have resources but Hatzlacha

mom of 8

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:49 am
Chaim day camp is in flatbush. Noam is in bp. Chaim is yeshivish/ flatbush with some boys from bo. Noam is yeshivish/ heimish. I've sent to both and we're very happy . I'm not exact on timing but I think they're both around 9-4:30. Both provide busing . Noam is 2200 and has a 400 off early bird special if you register inJanuary . They have 2 days a week sports and swim and 2 days a week trips or shows after learning programs. They also have a few late nights in the summer where they come home really late. They have their own buses and drive the kids home even late at night. Chaim, if I remember correctly has sports leagues and does trips once a week and also a few late night trips but you usually have to pick up after late nights. I haven't sent in a few yrs Bec my sons are in HS / bm. But I'm starting with my little boys this yr. I hope the info is still correct. The secretaries in both places are nice and can answer any questions
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children