Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How do you become an interior designer?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:42 am
do you need a special degree? undergrad, grad school? take a course?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:53 am
Interior Design is a certification. Design Alive offers courses. I think you would still need to do an internship and pass tests.

(I am a kitchen designer and space planner. You cannot call yourself an interior designer without certification.)

https://designalive.com/interi.....ions/

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 10:24 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Interior Design is a certification. Design Alive offers courses. I think you would still need to do an internship and pass tests.

(I am a kitchen designer and space planner. You cannot call yourself an interior designer without certification.)

https://designalive.com/interi.....ions/

An Interior Designer is very different then a space planner.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 11:44 am
amother Eggplant wrote:
An Interior Designer is very different then a space planner.

There is some overlap. An interior designer will usually be more attuned to styles and colors, and less to space planning and ergonomics. I often work with interior designers, but sometimes I am the de facto interior designer. I am pretty sure that interior designers do need to have at least a working knowledge of a 3D CAD program. I work in 3D CAD 24/6.

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:30 pm
Interior design is a degree from college. That being said, some people take a course and get into the field that way, but it will be harder to get a job in a professional firm without a degree. Many designers have a BA, but there are master programs out there as well.. we do space planning and design but are not the same thing as a space planner
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics