Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Outdated phrases Game
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 1:46 am
Pedal to metal, might also be by sewing machine

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 1:47 am
Thread the needle

Living Princess

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 2:30 am
writeread wrote:
First poster lists a phrase that's outdated. Next poster has to explain what the phrase means to the modern generation, and gives another phrase.

For example:

Hang up the phone.

ETA: explain the original, outdated meaning of the phrase, not what it is used to mean now. As in, what does the phrase literally mean, and how did that outdated technology work.

Maybe we should rewind the tape and restart this game? The point as you explained is OUTDATED not just any phrase.

carbon copy

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 4:13 am
Living Princess wrote:
Maybe we should rewind the tape and restart this game? The point as you explained is OUTDATED not just any phrase.

carbon copy

In the olden days of typewriters, you'd place a piece of carbon paper in between the 2 sheets of typing paper in order to create a 2nd copy of your correspondence.

Roll up the window

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 6:50 am
All the phrases were from olden times.

Let's say......

Dial a friend. You needed to turn a dial on a rotary phone in order to call someone.

He is a Carbon copy of his father.....

In school, instead of making copies from teachers original paper for students, there was a stencil machine. Teacher used to write on a stencil which had a sheet of ink attached to back of it, so when she wrote on paper, it used to get traced copied onto the carbon-ink paper, then that Carbon paper used to be run thru a stencil machine that would have like a round drum in mid, and that how you had copies of the original. There were diff colored inks to make it extra fancy. If teacher drew a tree, she could put the green ink underneath, where she drew the leaves and the red one for the apples. Other wise it was basic blue or black.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 6:54 am
essie14 wrote:
In the olden days of typewriters, you'd place a piece of carbon paper in between the 2 sheets of typing paper in order to create a 2nd copy of your correspondence.

Roll up the window

Didn't know that, and we've used typewriters in typing class.

Roll up the window, someone explained already.
There was a rotary handle in car that you had to turn in order to open window.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 6:57 am
I'm leaving the space if anyone wants to explain or guess, any of these phrases, in olden times.

Run of the mill

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 6:57 am
- Wipe the slate.

Guys, you make me feel so old. Most of the stuff was still around and going strong when I was a kid (minus slate, we had blackboards already).

GLUE

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 6:58 am
Does anyone say this anymore?

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones

GLUE

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 6:59 am
dankbar wrote:
I'm leaving the space if anyone wants to explain or guess, any of these phrases, in olden times.

Run of the mill

normal- not sure where it came from.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:01 am
There were some kid writing games, where you would, pull the tab backwards and it would erase what was written.

My kids still have those

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:04 am
GLUE wrote:
normal- not sure where it came from.

Maybe because in olden times, it was normal thing to run the mill....

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:10 am
dankbar wrote:

He is a Carbon copy of his father.....

In school, instead of making copies from teachers original paper for students, there was a stencil machine. Teacher used to write on a stencil which had a sheet of ink attached to back of it, so when she wrote on paper, it used to get traced copied onto the carbon-ink paper, then that Carbon paper used to be run thru a stencil machine that would have like a round drum in mid, and that how you had copies of the original. There were diff colored inks to make it extra fancy. If teacher drew a tree, she could put the green ink underneath, where she drew the leaves and the red one for the apples. Other wise it was basic blue or black.

That was a mineograph/ ditto machine, not carbon paper 😁

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:35 am
GLUE wrote:

Never heard of this but my first thought makes me think of the Gaza war..... 🙈

It's a good summary.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:36 am
I'm sorry I'm correcting. You ran the stencil paper thru the machine with the written/drawn ink on it back, not the carbon paper. The carbon full ink paper you would tear off from the stencil paper before running it into the machine. You kept a wax paper, tracing paper between the two papers so the ink wouldn't smudge the entire back of the stencil paper. You removed the tracing paper when trying to actually draw or or write, to be able to catch the ink.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:39 am
GLUE wrote:

It's a common phrase, but where does it originate from?

It's the same idea as don't throw stones, at well you drank from.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:43 am
Im giving a chance for people to explain the phrases I wrote and where it's coming from if not I will explain

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:45 am
Weave your way thru

A needle in a haystack

Milking someone to the last drop

simcha4

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 8:19 am
Living Princess wrote:
I assume you're referring to driving a stick/manual car. So you need to change gears while you're driving depending on speed. There are some countries where the majority still driver manual cars, they are cheaper to driver and to repair especially the gear box.

Keep the negatives

(Simcha4 you might be too young for this game;-) phrase needs to be outdated so I'd say you need to be appx 40+ but of course I might be wrong)

Okay. So kindly tell me the rules: How far outdated? 1600's? 1700's?
If I wasn't born yet during those centuries, am I not eligible? Very Happy
Wow!!! I'd love to meet an Imamother who was born during the 18th century! Anyone?

Could be Americans and British have different explanations for certain phrases.
The explanation I wrote for "changing gears" is what I remember from my young years growing up in England.

As for being the right age to play this game: I'm so glad to read that there are Imamothers who are over 40. I thought that majority were in their 20 and 30's and I always felt well, ... outdated.
B"H, I am blessed with sweet grandchildren, ke"h; does that make me eligible to play this game?

And did anyone never hear (in their young years) the phrase I wrote: "Barking up the wrong tree?"

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 8:21 am
Welcome back! Simcha! I was thinking about you. We're you logged off, or I didn't join the games?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics