Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I think mattresses are outdated
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 1:24 pm
I sometimes imagine that in year 2123 they’ll write about those primitive people who NEVER washed the actual bed they slept in!

Isn’t it bizarre that we sleep, have s-x, sweat etc, on the same mattress for YEARS without actually washing it? No, vacuuming and sprinkling baking soda does not replace a full fledged washing. I’m cleaning for pessach and imagining all the dust and human particles absorbed in it (yes I use mattress covers). Eww!

Anyone feels the same?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 1:31 pm
I literally think about this all the time. Especially because we frequently have guests that sleep in our house. I wish I could wash the mattresses!

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 1:45 pm
I use waterproof mattress covers, and change them every few years when they start getting worn out. My mattresses literally look perfect, like brand new. What's the issue if your using covers?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 1:56 pm
We use thick waterproof mattress covers on all beds & they get washed every couple of weeks. I actually don't think I know anyone that doesn't use mattress covers.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 1:57 pm
What kind of mattress covers are you using? Can someone post links? Because mine are not so good.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 1:58 pm
I like the ones we got from Ikea.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 2:05 pm
When I got my new mattress, I bought a bedbug proof mattress protector for it.

It is essentially a bag with what is supposed to be a bedbug proof zipper. It is very thick and was not cheap.

I don't think it is bedbug proof but its construction is completely different than the flimsy mattress covers that I used to have which are just thin pads that sit on top of the mattress and really offer no protection.

I really think between that pad and my sheets which are changed every week, my mattress is fine.

I also turn top to bottom every six months and so it is vacuumed then as well.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Mar 26 2024, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Green

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 2:12 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
What kind of mattress covers are you using? Can someone post links? Because mine are not so good.

I have a "Moonsea" full zip cover and I'm happy with it.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:06 pm
My kids don't like the waterproof mattress covers because they make a crinkly sound.
Anyone have one to recommend that doesn't make any sound?
I did see once on Shark Tank a disposable mattress cover I think that you tear off and a new one is underneath.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:19 pm
Yeah, hotels are a good point. Ugh.

Everyone I know uses mattresses covers, but still. Either they are plastic and not breathable, or they aren’t and therefor not really protective.

Btw my mattresses look stark white and beautiful. Doesn’t change my point.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:20 pm
Amarante wrote:
When I got my new mattress, I bought a bedbug proof mattress protector for it.

It is essentially a bag with what is supposed to be a bedbug proof zipper. It is very thick and was not cheap.

I don't think it is bedbug proof but its construction is completely different than the flimsy mattress covers that I used to have which are just thin pads that sit on top of the mattress and really offer no protection.

I really think between that pad and my sheets which are changed every week, my mattress is fine.

I also turn top to bottom every six months and so it is vacuumed then as well.

How often do you wash the mattress bag?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:36 pm
The idea of pillows in hotels bother me more!

honey36

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I sometimes imagine that in year 2123 they’ll write about those primitive people who NEVER washed the actual bed they slept in!

Isn’t it bizarre that we sleep, have s-x, sweat etc, on the same mattress for YEARS without actually washing it? No, vacuuming and sprinkling baking soda does not replace a full fledged washing. I’m cleaning for pessach and imagining all the dust and human particles absorbed in it (yes I use mattress covers). Eww!

Anyone feels the same?

What do you think people will sleep on in the year 2123?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:44 pm
honey36 wrote:

If I knew, we would’ve invented it already!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:48 pm
honey36 wrote:

We'll be floating on airbeds.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:59 pm
amother OP wrote:

Anyone feels the same?

As others have said....mattress pads. All my mattresses look perfect.

I wash the mattress covers every so often or as needed.
I vacuum the mattresses when cleaning for pesach.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:41 pm
amother OP wrote:

Anyone feels the same?

I've read enough crime books to know that if you have good mattress covers that get washed frequently and replaced as needed, chances of DNA (bodily secretions) being on the mattress itself is rather low. Now linen is another story--should be washed once a week for best hygiene practices.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:52 pm
In theory, putting two full zip mattress covers should be even better than one.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:32 pm
Oh em gee!😅😆. You guys are funny! Ever heard of 2 Two matress covers! Like of course it's uncomfortable the plastic ones! It isn't SUPOSE to be slept on! It's not even safe or healthy!
First goes a Matress ' slip cover' it's called!!! That encases the matress and the higher quality the better prevents dust mights and stuff etc... but the cheapest Walmart ones are great too. If your concerned and don't want to spend alot on the first cover. Then you can always put tape over the zipper.
Then you buy a very comfortable 'matress cover'
(You can also buy a Matress topper first and then a Matress cover . I like the. Closeout connection ones or E.L. ones . And then you put a sheet. Like this you will be good. And yes after every guest we wash the mattress cover too. But the slip cover/encasement stays always on you can windex or Mr clean it down. Depending on the material.
Good luck!!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:37 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
My kids don't like the waterproof mattress covers because they make a crinkly sound.
Anyone have one to recommend that doesn't make any sound?
I did see once on Shark Tank a disposable mattress cover I think that you tear off and a new one is underneath.

Elegant Linen has a great terry like mattress protector that is waterproof and breathable so not sweaty. Pretty pricey. I don't see this particular one on their website but I buy them every couple of year in store (they last about 5-6 years).

They're called Slumber Safe Premium Allergy Mattress Protector.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry