Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is Kollel the root cause??
  Previous  1  2  3 14  15 16  17  18  Next

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:17 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
I thought OP was respectful and I had a lot of the same questions she had. I dont know how I will ever be able to set my girls up for success with the kollel system. My husband did not speak English when we met, did not know how to write properly, do basic math. No support so we couldnt start off in kollel even though we desperately wanted to. Actually, he learned for a few weeks and then had to start a job asap because we had $1000 between the two of us. And now I look at my kolllel friends making it and we are struggling. DH had to start learning a new field as soon as we got married. Not sure what we did wrong either. Guess we arent part of the lucky ones who make it

She was respectful in the beginning before her true colors shone through.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:17 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
I thought OP was respectful and I had a lot of the same questions she had. I dont know how I will ever be able to set my girls up for success with the kollel system. My husband did not speak English when we met, did not know how to write properly, do basic math. No support so we couldnt start off in kollel even though we desperately wanted to. Actually, he learned for a few weeks and then had to start a job asap because we had $1000 between the two of us. And now I look at my kolllel friends making it and we are struggling. DH had to start learning a new field as soon as we got married. Not sure what we did wrong either. Guess we arent part of the lucky ones who make it

Sorry but to say that our Rabbanim are purposely withholding financial literacy from our people so that they can't leave the kollel system is well, not very respectful.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:19 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
She was respectful in the beginning before her true colors shone through.

I have to agree with this. Sorry OP, you took this to a whole other place.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:27 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

There is definitely room for improvement in yeshivish schools, but which boys don't speak English? I would assume if your husband literally did not speak English when you married, he grew up in another country. Even the most yeshivish American families speak English at home, at the very least, so that by itself is not a barrier to getting a job.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:28 pm
Which yeshivish guy doesn’t speak English!? Huh.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:32 pm
amother Holly wrote:
You've touched upon a pet peeve of mine. So now I'm on my soapbox Smile.

My kollel life is your pet peeve? Why, thank you for your concern!!

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:34 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Ha, you made me chuckle. Can I ask what you do?
I am resentful that I have a "high paying career" (not really, the pay is so bad), my masters was expensive, I work 9-3, commute an hour home, work in the evenings too.. Im so fed up..

Can't out myself. On paper my life makes no sense. I'm serious.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:37 pm
Who's willing to meet up after 120 and then we can decide once and for all who's side was better?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:38 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
Who's willing to meet up after 120 and then decide who's side was better?

Who needs better? Let's all do our best

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Who needs better? Let's all do our best

Ok. Fine. I'm just curious overall which group ends up with better seats upstairs. Not taking sides either way. Just late at night musings.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:41 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
Who's willing to meet up after 120 and then we can decide once and for all who's side was better?

I don't think this is a discussion of what's better. If that's the impression people are getting from this thread, it should not continue.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:42 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
I don't think this is a discussion of what's better. If that's the impression people are getting from this thread, it should not continue.

What is the impression people should be getting from this thread?

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:43 pm
amother Orange wrote:
Which yeshivish guy doesn’t speak English!? Huh.

DH is Israeli chareidi. From Bnei Brak. Crazy story how we were set up to begin with but BH very grateful

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:43 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Sorry but to say that our Rabbanim are purposely withholding financial literacy from our people so that they can't leave the kollel system is well, not very respectful.

I didnt say that. Why is it a schools responsibility to teach financial literacy? Shoudlnt parents teach that to their kids?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:44 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
What is the impression from this thread?

If you think this is a debate between what's the better lifestyle, I think this thread has basically become a bashing party. Which is completely inappropriate.

amother
Valerian

amother Chicory wrote:
DH is Israeli chareidi. From Bnei Brak. Crazy story how we were set up to begin with but BH very grateful

Israeli chareidi are different from American yeshivishe

amother
Wheat

amother Chicory wrote:
I didnt say that. Why is it a schools responsibility to teach financial literacy? Shoudlnt parents teach that to their kids?

It wasn't you. I believe it was Holly and OP agreed with it.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:45 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

That's a different story and has nothing to do with the yeshiva or kollel system in place in America. Of course, someone who immigrates to a country without knowing the language is going to start off at a disadvantage.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:46 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Israeli chareidi are different from American yeshivishe

In what way is it different? The OP to me was about the kollel system in general which most chareidim in Israel are a part of. Except there its more of an issue if a guy doesnt start off in learning

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:46 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
If you think this is a debate between what's the better lifestyle, I think this thread has basically become a bashing party. Which is completely inappropriate.

So what is the point of this thread?
Page 15 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 14  15 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics