Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O Root Cause - Define yeshivish

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 5:51 pm
I'm so curious what is considered yeshivish nowadays. How do YOU define yeshivish?

Do you think the definition has changed over time?

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:23 am
Absolutely evolved

It's a whole culture.

Used to be a broken down car was yeshivish.. Not anymore (usually)

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:26 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
Absolutely evolved

It's a whole culture.

Used to be a broken down car was yeshivish.. Not anymore (usually)

It never was. That was a nasty stereotype because people who were yeshivish were generally too poor to fix their cars. It’s still the same as it was then. It’s a hashkafa and lifestyle. Torah first everything else fits into a Torah life.

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:29 am
No

Because now kollelite have sales for shoes, clothes, food etc
And now regular poor or middle class people can't keep up with the kollel joneses. They live on a higher standard.

I'm not talking about everyone, but I'm talking about the general public

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:31 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
No

Because now kollelite have sales for shoes, clothes, food etc
And now regular poor or middle class people can't keep up with the kollel joneses. They live on a higher standard.

I'm not talking about everyone, but I'm talking about the general public

They realized they need to help financially. How does that change the definition of Torah first always? These are all superficial things. Not the actual hashkafa.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:32 am
Real yeshivish people aren’t on here. The ones on here are more “modern” so it’s based on stereotypes and not really getting it.

bp1234

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:34 am
It’s so relative. Everyone will define yeshivish differently according to how they relate to it. Someone I think is super yeshivish, you may think is not and v.v.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:35 am
What is yeshivish supposed to be? Living a Torah-centric life, in which Torah learning and Torah values are one’s priorities.

The word yeshivish ideally is a purely spiritual concept and shouldn’t have anything to do with way of dress or anything in the physical realm.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:35 am
bp1234 wrote:
It’s so relative. Everyone will define yeshivish differently according to how they relate to it. Someone I think is super yeshivish, you may think is not and v.v.

But it’s not. It’s a very specific hashkafa.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:38 am
amother Peru wrote:
But it’s not. It’s a very specific hashkafa.

This.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:39 am
amother Mustard wrote:
What is yeshivish supposed to be? Living a Torah-centric life, in which Torah learning and Torah values are one’s priorities.

The word yeshivish ideally is a purely spiritual concept and shouldn’t have anything to do with way of dress or anything in the physical realm.

That's not what yeshivish is. What you are describing I would call a Torahdig lifestyle. Or very frum/very to the right.
The term yeshivish is totally not a "purely spiritual concept" It's just a description of a lifestyle and it actually does have quite a lot to do with way of dress.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:41 am
It definitely changed over time. When I was a kid, there were not too many yeshivish people, and the ones that were, were considered out of style/nerdy, etc. Now it's like everyone is giving themselves the label even if they don't seem that way to others.

Someone once posted a description on another thread that was very spot on, I have to go find it.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:45 am
If you speak the 🎶Yeshivishe Reid, Yeshivishe Shprach🎶

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:49 am
amother Magenta wrote:
That's not what yeshivish is. What you are describing I would call a Torahdig lifestyle. Or very frum/very to the right.
The term yeshivish is totally not a "purely spiritual concept" It's just a description of a lifestyle and it actually does have quite a lot to do with way of dress.

I find this refreshing. Somehow people often think that yeshivish is synonymous with toradig. Often it is the case. However, anyone not yeshivish is gernerally seen as less frum than someone yeshivish.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:49 am
on this thread:
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....25043

Quote:
amother Pansy wrote:
Hard to define exactly but for me, some defining charachteristics of yeshivish include:

-very makpid on halacha
-certain chumros
-dresses very tzniusdikly, not just barely
-very machshiv limud torah
-less emphasis on externals
-a lot of emphasis on personal growth, working on self, growing
-don't watch movies, tv, etc

amother Highstrung wrote:
In addition to the above :
- Men are in kollel or work in klei kodesh
- many live simply and don’t care to show off and are histapkus b’miut
- are very makpid on zmanim, shiurim (for things like matzoh and maror)
- take learning and life very seriously
- have many children
-extra machmir with things like ex: Yoshon..

This is exactly how I define it.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 1:48 am
amother Peru wrote:
It never was. That was a nasty stereotype because people who were yeshivish were generally too poor to fix their cars. It’s still the same as it was then. It’s a hashkafa and lifestyle. Torah first everything else fits into a Torah life.

Not a nasty stereotype at all. Yeshivish used to be willing to drive a banged up car because if it works it's fine, and you don't have to focus so much on appearances. The money can be better spent in other areas.

Nowadays appearances have become much more important across the board, not only Yeshivish.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 1:53 am
amother Peru wrote:

20 years ago it was rare to find someone learning full time who was wealthy. That's just the reality.

Our communities have exploded in wealth for some people and we're seeing the second and third and fourth generation of kollel learners, some with lots of support from rich families.

I dare say the stereotype came from a real reality that simply has changed. Also society's standards have also changed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics