Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help! Left gefilte out!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 3:26 am
My gefilte fish finished baking at midnight last night. I figured I'd be up for a while as it cooled off but I fell asleep. I only remembered it at 6 when the alarm went off!

Is it OK to eat??

amother
Maize

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 4:34 am
I once left it in the oven turned off overnight and it was fine. It takes time to cook

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 4:37 am
I likely would, was it cooling/left overnight in thw oven the whole time btw? Then it'd be retaining it's heat for much longer I imagine than if left on counter.
but I'd refrain from giving to anyone ie pregnant or elderly just to b on safe side.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 4:41 am
No way. It cools fast and it spoils fast. That’s a hard no. Would never risk the high chance of food poisoning it’s not worth it.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 4:42 am
How does it smell? I always go according to smell and looks

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 4:44 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
How does it smell? I always go according to smell and looks

Spoiled food often has no smell or look. Never use that as a measuring tool.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 4:46 am
Nope, I’d throw it out. It’s fish, it was out all night. Even if it looks or smells okay, could so easily have bacteria that will cause you to get really sick. Not worth the risk

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 4:51 am
6 hours is not all night. Keep in mind it needed t cool down first which could take 2 hours to get to room temperature. How warm is it in your house?
Imagine you made it Friday morning at 6 and let it sit out until the meal that’s even longer and I think it would still be good.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 4:52 am
amother Sienna wrote:
Nope, I’d throw it out. It’s fish, it was out all night. Even if it looks or smells okay, could so easily have bacteria that will cause you to get really sick. Not worth the risk

Curios what they ate before the fridge was invented?

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 4:54 am
amother Hotpink wrote:

You know they had ways of keeping food fresh?? They didn’t leave it in lukewarm or hot places. Google for all the ways.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 4:56 am
amother Yellow wrote:
6 hours is not all night. Keep in mind it needed t cool down first which could take 2 hours to get to room temperature. How warm is it in your house?
Imagine you made it Friday morning at 6 and let it sit out until the meal that’s even longer and I think it would still be good.

Who does that who leaves it out that long? I do wonder if this is why Jews have so many stomach issues, because most don’t know or practice basic food safety. Maybe it’s not genetic issues.

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 5:03 am
amother Hotpink wrote:

Food was either preserved (dried, cured, canned, pickled, etc.), or you kept it cooking, or made just enough for the one meal.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 5:41 am
amother Yellow wrote:

6 hours is enough for bacteria to grow and make you sick. I don’t know anyone who would make fish in the morning and leave it sitting out all day, and I definitely would not eat it

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 6:02 am
amother Freesia wrote:
Food was either preserved (dried, cured, canned, pickled, etc.), or you kept it cooking, or made just enough for the one meal.

So no fish Shabbos day jn the shtetl ?

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 6:05 am
6 hours is totally fine! I often leave my fish on the counter for 6 hours before putting it in the fridge. Bh we don't have stomach issues.
Cooked fish doesn't spoil nearly as fast as raw fish.

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 6:06 am
amother Sienna wrote:
6 hours is enough for bacteria to grow and make you sick. I don’t know anyone who would make fish in the morning and leave it sitting out all day, and I definitely would not eat it

Bacteria doesn't grow so fast on cooked fish. Raw fish can't be out for 6 hours, but fish that just finished cooking, should be fine.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 6:07 am
amother Snow wrote:
6 hours is totally fine! I often leave my fish on the counter for 6 hours before putting it in the fridge. Bh we don't have stomach issues.
Cooked fish doesn't spoil nearly as fast as raw fish.

That’s a false statement. It does spoil and it’s not fine. That’s like saying I ran in front of a car and didn’t die so you should too.

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 6:08 am
amother Hosta wrote:
Who does that who leaves it out that long? I do wonder if this is why Jews have so many stomach issues, because most don’t know or practice basic food safety. Maybe it’s not genetic issues.

You are being hysterical. 6 hours is fine for cooked gefilta fish. Bh we don't have stomach issues & we do know and practice basic food safety....

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 6:09 am
amother Hosta wrote:
That’s a false statement. It does spoil and it’s not fine. That’s like saying I ran in front of a car and didn’t die so you should too.

Oh quit the hysteria please!
It absolutely does not spoil so fast. Not as fast as you think it does. Cooked fish is different than raw fish.

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 6:09 am
OP, maybe taste a piece. If it tastes off, chuck it. If it tastes fine, I'd keep it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen