Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How do you handle taking toddler to daycare re coat
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:55 am
It’s winter so my toddler needs to be in a coat going to and from the car, but her coat isn’t safe in a car seat. I’ve been putting her coat on, taking it off for the drive, then putting it on again to walk in to daycare. It’s annoying. How does everyone else handle this?

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:08 am
amother OP wrote:
It’s winter so my toddler needs to be in a coat going to and from the car, but her coat isn’t safe in a car seat. I’ve been putting her coat on, taking it off for the drive, then putting it on again to walk in to daycare. It’s annoying. How does everyone else handle this?

How far is the car from your house or apartment? I honestly just carry her and go quickly to car. (But my car also is in an indoor parking lot- but I would probably do the same if it were outdoors). Can also put a light fleece coat that’s safe for the car seat and carry the winter coat.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:12 am
not just daycare, anywhere we take a car to, yes

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:14 am
I just carry it when we run from the car to a place like school. Not worth putting it on for the 2 minute walk

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:15 am
amother OP wrote:
What does that mean?

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:22 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
What does that mean?

it’s not considered safe to have a baby wear a puffy or think coat or snowsuit in a car seat.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:23 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:
it’s not considered safe to have a baby wear a puffy or think coat or snowsuit in a car seat.

Why not? I have no little kids and never heard this before. When my kids were little, I dont think this was a thing.

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:25 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
Why not? I have no little kids and never heard this before. When my kids were little, I dont think this was a thing.

It’s not safe because if G-d forbid there is a car crash it impacts the way the car seat fits and won’t protect the child (or as well)

Girl@Heart

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:26 am
I invested in the road coat. It’s crash tested and safe when used appropriately. https://onekid.com/

amother
Ballota

amother Melon wrote:
I just carry it when we run from the car to a place like school. Not worth putting it on for the 2 minute walk

Ya same. You can try to half cover the child with the coat like put the hood on

LovesHashem

amother Lemonlime wrote:

People did alot of unsafe things years ago. In the event of a car crash it could block them from breathing

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:27 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:

Carseat belts don’t lock the way regular seatbelts due in an accident. So in case of an accident, God forbid the force will flatten your coat. And you’ll be left with extra space between the body and the seatbelt, so the seatbelt will not work efficiently to secure the body. A regular car seat belt will tighten and then lock.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:28 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:

Even car seat instructions say don’t wear bulky coats. This has been around for years. After realizing kids were dying by being ejected during car accidents because the buckles do nothing if they are not up against a thin layer of clothing, a massive movement started to warn people. I’m shocked you didn’t know.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:34 am
Lemonlime: I have teens down to toddlers. My older kids wore coats in carseats, had drop-side cribs, slept in their carseats, turned forward in their carseats at a year...I'm sure that many of these you had no idea are considered unsafe nowadays.

I'll admit, I still use my dropside crib. And to save my sanity, there are times that I've let my later babies fall asleep in the carseat without guilt.

I always thought that my parents' generation was clueless when it came to keeping kids safe (putting kids to sleep on their stomachs, having railings with too high of a bottom so kids could slip under, etc). Now I'm realizing that there are probably dozens of things that today's parents are doing that their kids will think are horrifically dangerous. And the younger generation will keep on judging, generation after generation...until they become the older generation and realize that it's all just hishtadlus, and it's fine to do as long as you're staying sane while doing it...

To the OP: I keep a heavy fleece blanket in the car. I dress my toddler in a heavy but not puffy jacket, and that's usually enough. The fleece blanket is for when it's really cold, like 20 degrees. Other than that, she's warm enough with the jacket for a quick in and out. I also use the blanket to keep her warm until the car warms up at the beginning of a drive, especially her legs that are not covered by the blanket.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:36 am
https://pompomme.com/collectio.....42598

Would such a coat be safe for use in a car seat?

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:38 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
https://pompomme.com/collections/baby/products/rib-trimmed-wool-overall?variant=43844966842598

Would such a coat be safe for use in a car seat?

The only way to know is buckle baby in with it, then remove it and buckle baby in without adjusting the straps at all, are they snug against his body or is there a space?

amf

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:00 pm
Girl@Heart wrote:
I invested in the road coat. It’s crash tested and safe when used appropriately. https://onekid.com/

Yup same. Definitely makes things so much easier
Just get it in a gender neutral color because they're not cheap!

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:05 pm
amother Lemonlime wrote:

Incase of an accident CV the car seat won’t be able to protect the child since the harness won’t be as tight and the straps have to be accord the chest not lower.

Also why do adults wear coats in cars it’s not safe either.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:11 pm
I got a coat that zippered in the back. When my baby went in the car, it went over his head like a cape. he wore it like a blanket or poncho- his arms were out of the sleeves to buckle in but the rest of the coat covered him.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:17 pm
amf wrote:
Yup same. Definitely makes things so much easier
Just get it in a gender neutral color because they're not cheap!

Good point. They're good quality. You can use them for multiple kids.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics