Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Home Insurance cancellation due to "a deteriorated roof"
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:39 pm
Has anyone dealt with notification of potential Home Insurance cancellation due to "a deteriorated roof", that John Serino, the experienced Home inspector, says is ok for its age and isnt causing leaks, (roof is old, but working).

I see many homes with roofs that are the same age, same condition.

Insurance companies are getting very tough with 20 year old roofs.

How have other recent buyers, looking for new home insurance, handled such a notification?
How did you deal with this?
Did you have to change to a different insurance company?

Is there a specific broker that is experienced with navigating this?

TIA

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 11:29 pm
When we switched insurance companies we had to put a new roof on in order to be insured …

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 11:37 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
When we switched insurance companies we had to put a new roof on in order to be insured …

If a roof costs close to 20,000, was it worth changing insurance companies?

May I ask which company you used for the new roof?

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 11:53 pm
They’re saying you have to replace the whole thing?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 12:41 am
amother Khaki wrote:
They’re saying you have to replace the whole thing?

Theyre not clear. Hopefully my broker can settle something.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 12:51 am
I was under contract for a house about two years ago and requested a quote from geico, and gave them my estimated closing date.

They somehow never got the memo that the contract fell through and thought we closed (huhhh I so don’t get it. We didn’t pay them!!) and sent me a letter that we would lose insurance coverage as of whatever date if we didn’t redo the roof.

I flipped out that such a thing could happen, but bh I hadn’t bought that house under the pretenses that I’d have insurance!

So I guess it could happen!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:37 am
amother Apple wrote:
I was under contract for a house about two years ago and requested a quote from geico, and gave them my estimated closing date.

They somehow never got the memo that the contract fell through and thought we closed (huhhh I so don’t get it. We didn’t pay them!!) and sent me a letter that we would lose insurance coverage as of whatever date if we didn’t redo the roof.

I flipped out that such a thing could happen, but bh I hadn’t bought that house under the pretenses that I’d have insurance!

So I guess it could happen!

There are advantages and disadvantages of buying either new construction or older houses. Older houses generally come with larger lots, etc.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:41 am
We use emgee exteriors to replace our roof and were very happy. But you can probably ask them to give you a letter saying that your roof is still in good condition (assuming that it is) and see if the insurance company will accept that.

We actually filed an insurance claim for our new roof, so that may be why insurance companies are cracking down?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:04 am
amother Catmint wrote:
We actually filed an insurance claim for our new roof, so that may be why insurance companies are cracking down?

Please clarify, you got a new roof because of a claim?

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:38 am
If you put in solar panels you can get a new roof

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Please clarify, you got a new roof because of a claim?

We bought a house with an old roof. It was still fine, but old so definitely a matter of time.

Last year before pesach there was a tornado which took care of any life the roof had left, and it needed to be replaced.

We used an insurance adjuster who filed a claim that the roof was damaged by the storm. (Full disclosure: is was. The claim was real. The storm was bad! But the roof would have been fine if it wasn't so old to begin with)

So yeah, insurance paid for our new roof.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:33 am
amother Navyblue wrote:

*if you put in solar panels you can add in the price of the new roof to the cost of the solar panels.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:53 am
amother Navyblue wrote:

Correction: you can spend money on a new roof before spending money on solar panels.

The cost of a roof is not included in the solar panels.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:54 am
I know in Florida an older roof is an issue and insurance is a TON more with an old roof. I use state farm over here and never was asked about the roof. They also came in cheaper for me than anyone else. I use an amazing broker there.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:39 am
We had to switch insurance bc when finished our mortgage the mortgage stopped paying the home insurance and we needed a new policy. We couldn’t get one without a new roof - we used master roofing in monsey. Pleasure to work with.
Roofs are not cheap Smile

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 10:18 am
When we bought our home (give or take a year ago) we had an insurance company give us a quote. They wouldn't use the inspection report, they did thier own. A few months in we got a notice od insurance cancelation if twh roof isn't replaced by a certain date. The roof was less than 8yrs old and in perfect condition. We had a roofer come down who told us they wouldn't replace thw roof if we paid them it's practically brand new and in perfect condition. We sent in the report but they wouldn't take it. The representative we spoke to agreed with us saying it's ridiculous but couldnt do anything about it once the adjustors decided...
We ended up switching insurance and paying a lot more since there's nothing wrong with the roof
But boy was it stressful

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 10:26 am
amother Linen wrote:
When we bought our home (give or take a year ago) we had an insurance company give us a quote. They wouldn't use the inspection report, they did thier own. A few months in we got a notice od insurance cancelation if twh roof isn't replaced by a certain date. The roof was less than 8yrs old and in perfect condition. We had a roofer come down who told us they wouldn't replace thw roof if we paid them it's practically brand new and in perfect condition. We sent in the report but they wouldn't take it. The representative we spoke to agreed with us saying it's ridiculous but couldnt do anything about it once the adjustors decided...
We ended up switching insurance and paying a lot more since there's nothing wrong with the roof
But boy was it stressful

Thats insane to be told that an 8 year old roof is old.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 10:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Thats insane to be told that an 8 year old roof is old.

Yup and they wouldn't listen to the home inspector or the roofing experts we hsd come down. Once they decided it had to be replaced they wouldn't budge.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 11:00 am
amother Linen wrote:
Yup and they wouldn't listen to the home inspector or the roofing experts we hsd come down. Once they decided it had to be replaced they wouldn't budge.

Which insurance company was this, and which insurance company did you switch to?

tia

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 11:06 am
amother OP wrote:
Which insurance company was this, and which insurance company did you switch to?

tia

Mercury
Switched to Berkshire Hathaway
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries