Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Asking about Israeli style tichels
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 12:55 am
Please excuse my ignorance. I am asking a genuine question.
I watch videos from some Israeli women. One was on 'inspiration for the nation' another I saw singing with her husband, and some others too. Many of them have this huge tichel wrapped around high. Is there a specific reason or source that they wear these thick tichels, or is it just a style?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 12:58 am
Style amongst some

chestnut

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:10 am
Style

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:15 am
Thank you!
Some look complicated to tie. I also wonder if they are comfortable.
But if it's style it doesn't really matter..

snooper86

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:14 am
It’s not a style they wear these tichels like others wear wigs, hats, shpitzelach etc. it’s what their mothers wear. I forgot what they’re called but they have a name.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:35 am
snooper86 wrote:
It’s not a style they wear these tichels like others wear wigs, hats, shpitzelach etc. it’s what their mothers wear. I forgot what they’re called but they have a name.

Thats not true at all. People wear whatever they want. All my friends who wear these, their mother's wear sheitels actually. I wear these wraps and my mother doesn't.

Lots of people don't do exactly as their parents do. And many people do multiple types of coverings. I have sheitels, square tichels, and wraps.

someone

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:46 am
snooper86 wrote:

Mitpachot? That's what they are called in Hebrew. But it's not a minhag or anything, more of a fashion thing. It evolves and changes over time, and different groups tie them slightly differently.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:17 am
It’s just a style many women lots of styles of scarves. Just line you change your clothing style they wear many styles of scarves.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:09 am
snooper86 wrote:

Things have changed. Especially in the summer you see plenty of young women with headscarves.

Roots

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:53 am
lol I wear one of those
its just that hair can be styled in different ways and scarves can get pretty boring
these pretty colors and fabrics and ties make things more exciting
totally a matter of style-the source is to cover your hair with a head covering that shows you are married as opposed to wigs that can lead to speculation
but the style is however you want to tie

rivkie123

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:42 am
I love the big height style mitpachot. Pretty much the only thing you will see these days in the dati Leumi/chardal world
Some of them are really pretty, you can see some examples here https://www.cameleon.co.il/%D7.....ge/1/

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:48 am
rivkie123 wrote:
I love the big height style mitpachot. Pretty much the only thing you will see these days in the dati Leumi/chardal world
Some of them are really pretty, you can see some examples here https://www.cameleon.co.il/%D7.....ge/1/

And some of them are a bit exaggerated. I knew one woman at work who had to bend her head to go through a normal doorway. She was normal hight, but her mitpachat was enormous. Still, it's a matter of taste, and she liked it, so there's no reason for other people to complain.

Success10

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:54 am
Elfrida wrote:
And some of them are a bit exaggerated. I knew one woman at work who had to bend her head to go through a normal doorway. She was normal hight, but her mitpachat was enormous. Still, it's a matter of taste, and she liked it, so there's no reason for other people to complain.

They look beautiful to me, but I can't imagine I'd be able to keep my balance in that. Can anyone answer me, aren't they heavy?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:47 am
I don't know why they'd be so heavy if they're relatively light fabrics, but even if heavier, wrapping properly will probably keep it in place.

Where I live, I'd be very, very uncomfortable wearing headcoverings like this, although it's not unheard of, & in the context of my community it wouldn't be my thing.

Personally, I wear sheitles, I'm happy to, I feel it's completely appropriate, beautiful & good for today's day, my community & the culture we're in. But zooming back to a broader view of history, I do think sheitles are a bit odd.

And these women in mitpachot, I think they look beautiful & so regal, it's how I envision women from times of the tanach looking (re colors & patterns, well, at least somewhat, I'm sure colors were more subdued & simpler based on resources available, but) more similar, like how I imagine Miriam ha'nevuah & the women to be with their tambourines & singing.

essie14

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:13 am
I live in Israel and I'm DL.
I personally can't wear elaborate mitpachot because anything more than 1 layer gives me a headache but many of the young marrieds in my community wear multiple layer mitpachot. We had a girl in our old shul with a huge situation going on on top of her head. I have no idea how she didn't have a migraine every day from it.
It's just a style, how they prefer to dress.
Just like some women match a hat to their outfit every day.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:16 am
I love them! I also imagine the Jewish women from Tanach wearing these types of coverings. They look so regal and are strikingly beautiful, like art.

I’d love love for them to become mainstream in Brooklyn.

rivkie123

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:21 am
Elfrida wrote:

I sometimes bump it getting into the car but I've never seen anyone have issues with a normal doorway!

NechaMom

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:28 am
I love the look. They look regal. They also look like a heavy crown. I feel a migraine coming on just looking at it and thinking I need to carry that all day. Never mind being conscious it shouldn’t fall when going through an underpass.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:50 am
While it looks great, the more, the better, there is no obligation to wear a heavy weight on one's head.
I am DL and while I try to achieve maximum volume by loose knotting, twisting or folding up, I leave it at one scarf at a time. Not heavy at all. Height 10 - 20 cm. It does sometimes get stuck when getting in the car carelessly.
I suppose I love the style because it reminds me a bit of the blow dried big hair waves from the 80ies, guess my age Wink
I have wondered sometimes why American women who wear tichels often wear them so flat, just one thin straight layer on the head with no attempt to create any volume. Guess that's just a different style.

Roots

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 11:36 am
I also only wear one scarf- with the velvet headband and shaper its more than enough for me
but since I sew, I usually sew 3 different colored and textured fabrics together- and then add a fringe of sequince or something, it adds so much
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics