Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
In chassidish circles - 8th grade camp- whole or half summer

8th graders camp whole or half summer
whole summer  
 11%  [ 1 ]
half summer  
 88%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 9

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:05 pm
HI! My daughter is dying to go to camp for an entire summer but its very expensive... almost 4k... last year no one stayed for a full summer besides for one girl... she claims a lot are staying this year but I wont know that for sure until I hear from her first half who ended up staying and by then it will be too late to apply for second half as well...
Im taking a poll to see what majority does

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:01 pm
It depends where you live & how she'll spend the rest of the summer.
It's common for girls from Brooklyn to go full summer, vs girls from Monsey that generally go for 1/2 a summer.
7th grade is usually the age when most girls go for 1/2 summer. By 8th grade, it's more common to go full summer.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:13 pm
Depends on the kid. If she’s a camp type and bubbly and social and fun and likes to be entertained then send her a whole summer.

kugelEater

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:43 pm
This might be unpopular but as far as camp goes, you can really get too much of a good thing.
I loved camp every year, looked forward and enjoyed the camp spirit and activities. I usually went second half, and hated the "first-halfers" who stayed. In my perspective, they were bored brats who made it their mission to ruin everyone else's fun. ("First half was sooo much cooler, we went on wayyyy better trips, our counselors were cuter, we did this already first half, we know all the motions to the camps songs....")
When I look back I realize that the ONE summer that my parents allowed me to go to camp for a full summer (my second year going), I was ALSO miserable and bratty second half. (In my defense, all my friends were in a different bunk and the camp refused to switch me because if I left the bunk, then there would be no more "normal" kids in the bunk!!!!)
I once heard a saying about Chol Hamoed trips and I think it applies here as well: Let's leave while the kids are still having fun. Like this, they are left with a good taste in their mouths and can't wait to go back to camp the next year! When I look back at the summer I went for 2 months, I barely remember first half, even though I absolutely LOVED it- I had a great bunk with great counselors and great friends. I only remember how miserable I was second half. I even ended up going to a different camp the next year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps