Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling makes me wish I didn't keep kosher
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:17 am
Both for convenience and feeling like I'm on vacation, and because so much of vacation/ tourism out there is centered around food and I wish I could experience that.

Anyone else?

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:18 am
Traveling makes me wish there are kosher restaurants all over. Here, I fixed it for you.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:20 am
I really relate

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:20 am
amother Topaz wrote:
Traveling makes me wish there are kosher restaurants all over. Here, I fixed it for you.

Only if they were literally all over including the airport. Not just one pizza or Israeli place located far from the tourist areas

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:22 am
Traveling makes me miss eating Cholov Stam Sad. Especially like at the end of a hike when there’s a tiny store that sells ice cream! Or getting chocolate at every gas station! Or Entenmanns! Or…you know what, I’m going to stop now.

hodeez

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:24 am
Travelling makes me think Thank you Hashem I'm a Jew! Wherever there's kosher, there's a community so there will be a shul and a mikvah and other Jews to chat up!

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:38 am
you aren't alone. hodeez, wish I had your positive attitude, unfortunately I don't, we actually try to stay away from "communities", more in to natural, quiet... places.. would be nice to just be able to stop at a restaurant on the road...

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:46 am
I very much get this - I grew up Conservative so our level of kosher was eating dairy/vegetarian out. We went on vacation fairly often, and going to restaurants was always a huge aspect of the experience. When I became more religious, that was definitely one of the hardest things to give up. Now we mostly choose to travel where there are kosher options. On our most recent trips - Los Angeles, Paris, Italy - there were soooo many kosher restaurants and we were constantly eating delicious food. It didn't feel like we were sacrificing or missing anything. If it's just an overnight type of trip with no options, we've packed food, but if we're going away on a nicer extended vacation, we are strategic about where we go, because part of the experience (for us at least) is the luxury of eating out.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:58 am
I actually love traveling kosher. I precook all my mains and bring them frozen. We make fresh rice and pasta, eggs... usually in a airbnb and we've been able to go to some really far flung places! Coolest was probably Iceland so far. My kids are used to my food and no one gets sick from unknown meats or dairy. We also save a ton of money! We're going to the Bahamas soon and are bringing all our food, even though there are kosher places now. My kids won't eat fancy meals and it isn't worth the price. We're happy with what we bring and can focus on enjoying the time abroad instead of going from restaurant to restaurant. We spend on activities, not food. That's our motto. Tuna sandwiches for all but we're going to charter a private boat for the day and catch some fish!

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:58 am
my father would always say... well wouldn't it also be nice to be a cow? and wherever we went there would be so much delicious grass to eat.. so convenient.

LOL.

I understand you OP - mainly because I would be interested in tasting other cultures food.. but this puts it in perspective Smile

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:07 pm
That is why we only travel to places where kosher food isn’t an issue. Florida and Israel.

I am not interested in going on vacation and eating out of foil.
If I wanted a camping experience I would go real camping. Not camping in a hotel with food I shlepped along.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:13 pm
I know what you mean. When we were in New Zealand we passed this place that supposedly has the best burgers im the world. It smelled so good whenever we drove past. It didn’t help that we were living on cold cut sandwiches and noodle soups.
I also wish there were kosher restaurants that serve native food of that country. I’m not looking for italian cuisine when I’m traveling to Vietnam or Israeli cuisine when I’m in Greece

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:18 pm
I love traveling kosher. We eat OU-D which definitely makes it easier.
I love that when we go places that the emphasis is on the activity and not the restaurant. We eat on the run and have so much more time and opportunity to see the sights rather than investing so much of our time and budget on dinner. I can gladly eat a PB&J sandwich and go out for ice cream after our evening event.
(I don’t vacation, I take trips. To relax I can just stay home, ignore the laundry and turn off my phone.)

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:20 pm
I definitely understand you. I live in Israel now and it's wonderful to travel all over here. Never a food issue.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:26 pm
amother Beige wrote:
I actually love traveling kosher. I precook all my mains and bring them frozen. We make fresh rice and pasta, eggs... usually in a airbnb and we've been able to go to some really far flung places! Coolest was probably Iceland so far. My kids are used to my food and no one gets sick from unknown meats or dairy. We also save a ton of money! We're going to the Bahamas soon and are bringing all our food, even though there are kosher places now. My kids won't eat fancy meals and it isn't worth the price. We're happy with what we bring and can focus on enjoying the time abroad instead of going from restaurant to restaurant. We spend on activities, not food. That's our motto. Tuna sandwiches for all but we're going to charter a private boat for the day and catch some fish!

Not to derail, but would you share some of the things you prepare? Also tips on packing or prepping. We have a 5 day trip coming this Sunday and I will be packing all our food. Still a little perplexed about it. I’m just bringing 4 of my kids but will not be getting a rental. I have to bring everything. Tia

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:32 pm
Social media woke this up in me! I want to try interesting and luxurious foods from different cultures!

That and going past the traditional bakeries in villages in England, with delicious cream cakes in the window...

I channel it into cooking and baking interesting things.

Luckily I'm too lazy to appreciate actual travelling, the food is the best part for me.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Both for convenience and feeling like I'm on vacation, and because so much of vacation/ tourism out there is centered around food and I wish I could experience that.

Anyone else?

Yes, me too.
I often have to do short business trips (2-3 days) to places without kosher restaurants, and having to pack food & cooking equipment adds an extra layer of stress.

In fact, I am not very keen on traveling because it is such a headache with kashrus. If I could eat wherever I wanted, whatever I want, I think I would travel more, get to know other cultures, etc.

Traveller247

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:37 pm
Ooh yeah!
For me one if the hardest parts is not being able to sample the local food.
I honestly wish I didn't have to keep kosher

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:44 pm
amother Holly wrote:
That is why we only travel to places where kosher food isn’t an issue. Florida and Israel.

I am not interested in going on vacation and eating out of foil.
If I wanted a camping experience I would go real camping. Not camping in a hotel with food I shlepped along.

We do go (RV) camping and the food is the hardest part!!! It takes me ages to prepare for a camping trip to far-flung places where some people have never seen a Jew.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:54 pm
There’s Chabad almost everywhere you go.
You can ask them if there’s one where you going what you can bring them and if you can join for meals.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics