Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Medication during school hours

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:09 am
For those of you who medicate, if the child needs a booster during the school day, who gives it? He is 7 and too young to do it himself. I feel like going to the school nurse is too much but is that the norm? I give him his regular dose before he leaves to school. This is hypothetical, we haven't started it yet.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:33 am
My 12 year son goes to the nurse to get it and has been for a few years.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:39 am
We went with a longer acting medication. I feel like kids have enough confidence issues so when we saw it wasn’t long enough, we switched medication.

teachkids

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:20 am
I work in a school. The nurse has a whole list of kids who are sent to her at lunch time for their second dose of meds. Mostly ADHD but also a diabetic who needs insulin and some kids who stop by for lactaid on milchig days.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:28 am
amother OP wrote:
For those of you who medicate, if the child needs a booster during the school day, who gives it? He is 7 and too young to do it himself. I feel like going to the school nurse is too much but is that the norm? I give him his regular dose before he leaves to school. This is hypothetical, we haven't started it yet.

When my son was taking a booster, the office or the nurse gave it to him. He would go every day to get it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:10 am
It's super common, that’s a large part of what the nurse is there for. Most kids taking meds in school go during lunch, nobody notices.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:15 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
We went with a longer acting medication. I feel like kids have enough confidence issues so when we saw it wasn’t long enough, we switched medication.

This.
People will say big deal it's just a pill.
Just another evaluation the kids love playing with an adult.
Till today I wonder If I'm normal.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 10:06 am
amother Molasses wrote:
This.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say. My son took extended release, and at one point he still needed a booster. Really though, it was to get him through the end of the day and the hour plus bus ride home.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 10:20 am
We do extended release. But if we had to, we would make arrangements with the school nurse.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 10:24 am
amother Molasses wrote:
This.

And my sister who was only diagnosed with ADHD at age 30 spent years of her life wondering if she was normal. Why were some things so much harder for her than others?

She is finally treating her ADHD with meds and therapy and is so much happier.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:07 pm
as a school secretary we had boys coming to the office to get there meds.
its so not an issue we give it to them and end of story.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:08 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
And my sister who was only diagnosed with ADHD at age 30 spent years of her life wondering if she was normal. Why were some things so much harder for her than others?

She is finally treating her ADHD with meds and therapy and is so much happier.

yes but at 30 its her choice and she knows she needs it at 9 or under its very very far from the kids choice and you don't know for sure If your kid really has ADHD or the school plain doesn't like her again personal experience.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:58 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
yes but at 30 its her choice and she knows she needs it at 9 or under its very very far from the kids choice and you don't know for sure If your kid really has ADHD or the school plain doesn't like her again personal experience.

How would you not know? I don’t know ANYONE who made the choice to medicate solely based on the school’s say so. It’s not like the school says “kid needs meds” and you can just go to the dollar store and get a bottle.

fiji

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:39 pm
The school nurse would give it. If she wasn’t there one of the secretaries would give it. I was concerned about the transitions- it would take him too long to get there/back/miss lunch or whatever but it ended up being fine. If the school has a nurse just call her and ask how things are done.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:39 pm
Extended release is often not enough to get kids through the day. The school nurse gives it and if she’s not around the office will do it.

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:34 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
How would you not know? I don’t know ANYONE who made the choice to medicate solely based on the school’s say so. It’s not like the school says “kid needs meds” and you can just go to the dollar store and get a bottle.

and I know people who do.
Like I said personal experience. It was literally exactly like that. School didn't like me told my parents that I can't come in unless they medicate.
I actually know others like me who are living through with the consequences of having been drugged at a time when the brain was still developing.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:26 pm
My ds takes vyvance. It lasts for about 10 hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)