Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby stopped nursing cold turkey
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:26 am
My 11.5 month old is refusing to nurse for the past 3 days. Sad
I'm totally fine with giving him exclusively bottles, he's been getting both till now.
My question is first of all, what do I do now that he isn't nursing? I tried pumping but I never pumped well and only got 2 oz in 20 min from both sides.
Second question, is there a drop in hormones that could be making me feel sad and miserable the psst few days?
I feel so unmotivated and don't have an appetite. I cried last night and I don't know why! (And I never ever cry)
Thanks

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:27 am
When I was 10 months old I refused to nurse and cracked up the first time and that's how my mom found out that she was pregnant with my brother

Last edited by singleagain on Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkOrange

Babies can stop when there's a change in hormones from pregnancy and milk tastes different to them. Could there be a chance that you're pregnant

amother
Maroon

Pregnancy?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:35 am
singleagain wrote:
When I was 10 months old I refused to nurse and cracked up the first time and that's how my mom found out that she was pregnant with my brother

I have an iud

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:37 am
amother OP wrote:
I have an iud

I mean, I don't know. I understand that there's a very slim chance that this can happen on an IUD.

But it's possible some other hormonal shift has happened and the milk just taste different.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:39 am
singleagain wrote:
I mean, I don't know. I understand that there's a very slim chance that this can happen on an IUD.

But it's possible some other hormonal shift has happened and the milk just taste different.

I just finished my period less then a week ago so I doubt I'm pregnant.
My question was if there is a drop in hormones that can affect me and cause me to feel the way I'm feeling

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:43 am
amother OP wrote:
My question was if there is a drop in hormones that can affect me and cause me to feel the way I'm feeling

Well I've never been pregnant around birth control but I mean I know when I'm PMSing because my hormones suddenly shift and I can't deal with the world and every stupid little thing becomes a big deal. So I'm going to guess yes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:46 am
singleagain wrote:
Well I've never been pregnant around birth control but I mean I know when I'm PMSing because my hormones suddenly shift and I can't deal with the world and every stupid little thing becomes a big deal. So I'm going to guess yes.

Yes but I don't feel like this when I get my period.
My pms symptoms are usually before I get my period and usually I'm just grumpy and mad.
Now I feel sad,I have this pit in my stomach and just feel miserable

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:48 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes but I don't feel like this when I get my period.
My pms symptoms are usually before I get my period and usually I'm just grumpy and mad.
Now I feel sad,I have this pit in my stomach and just feel miserable

There is also something called postmenstrual syndrome...

Could it be you're going through this? I mean again, I don't know anything for certain. I can't answer your question but it could be that maybe you're going through postmenstruals syndrome?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:48 am
That sounds very interesting...
Maybe ask your doctor

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:55 am
singleagain wrote:
There is also something called postmenstrual syndrome...

Could it be you're going through this? I mean again, I don't know anything for certain. I can't answer your question but it could be that maybe you're going through postmenstruals syndrome?

Never had this, so I don't know

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 12:26 pm
Yes. The act of nursing cuases oxytocin releases in the mother. Oxytocin can improve mood, promote relaxation and contentment, and reduce anxiety. Especially if you were nursing multiple times a day, the lack of those releases is something you could feel.

As for the nursing stoppage, another thing that can affect milk taste is high stress levels.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 12:33 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Yes. The act of nursing cuases oxytocin releases in the mother. Oxytocin can improve mood, promote relaxation and contentment, and reduce anxiety. Especially if you were nursing multiple times a day, the lack of those releases is something you could feel.

As for the nursing stoppage, another thing that can affect milk taste is high stress levels.

Thanks. I don't think the taste is the problem because he took my pumped milk in the bottle without a fuss.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:27 pm
At this age you can stop all milk and transition him to only solid foods. I wouldn't do it for one day to the next but you can start dropping bottles.

imaima

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:29 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes
Weaning your baby, whether induced by baby or by you, creates the change in hormones

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:31 pm
imaima wrote:
Yes
Weaning your baby, whether induced by baby or by you, creates the change in hormones

Yes
Post weaning blues is really a thing.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:56 pm
My son had a nursing strike at that age because I yelled when he bit me. He did go back after a few days and still nursing a year later.

Totally makes sense that stopping affects ur mood. That’s probably why I subconsciously don’t want to wean.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:22 pm
amother Brown wrote:
At this age you can stop all milk and transition him to only solid foods. I wouldn't do it for one day to the next but you can start dropping bottles.

He still wants/needs it. He still wakes up for a bottle twice a night...

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:33 pm
Yes! I got really sad and nauseated when my first self weaned. It was horrible
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics