Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What's the going rate for babysitters?
1  2  Next

How much do you pay/charge per hour?
$5  
 2%  [ 1 ]
$6  
 2%  [ 1 ]
$7  
 41%  [ 15 ]
$8  
 27%  [ 10 ]
<5  
 2%  [ 1 ]
>8  
 22%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 36

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:21 pm
I want to know what's typical to charge if I take care of 4-5 babies in my house. I have many years of experience, if that's relevant, but I've been working in daycares for the last while so I don't know the going rate anymore. I'd love to hear from a bunch of people what they charge/pay these days.

Elilove

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:21 pm
Age of the babies makes somewhat of a difference

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:22 pm
Newborn.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:58 pm
Delete

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:00 pm
I'd charge $7 an hr for group of 4

Elilove

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:04 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
I'd charge $7 an hr for group of 4

Same

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:06 pm
You can easily charge 8 for such a small grp

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:06 pm
For a group of 4 I would charge at least $10 it's hard work, you should be able to come out with at least $40 an hour. Keep in mind, the ones that charge less, take less care of the baby unfortunately. Staying in doona all day, propping bottles, no tummy time ect. You will set yourself apart if you can give better service. People are desperately looking for quality care.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:11 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
For a group of 4 I would charge at least $10 it's hard work, you should be able to come out with at least $40 an hour. Keep in mind, the ones that charge less, take less care of the baby unfortunately. Staying in doona all day, propping bottles, no tummy time ect. You will set yourself apart if you can give better service. People are desperately looking for quality care.

How does one know for sure if baby is kept in carriage all day and know tummy time. And propping bottle?
My baby seems happy when I pick up but know way to know for sure he can’t talk

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:12 pm

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:17 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
How does one know for sure if baby is kept in carriage all day and know tummy time. And propping bottle?

If your baby is happy when being dropped off and picked up then you don't have to worry. If your baby is doing well developmentally then you don't have to worry exactly how much tummy time he's getting. I imagine he wouldn't be happy in the doona all day. Honestly, I prop bottles occasionally when necessary. The younger the baby, the more I avoid it, but if several babies need things at once it's much better to prop them and watch carefully than to let them scream.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
If your baby is happy when being dropped off and picked up then you don't have to worry. If your baby is doing well developmentally then you don't have to worry exactly how much tummy time he's getting. I imagine he wouldn't be happy in the doona all day. Honestly, I prop bottles occasionally when necessary. The younger the baby, the more I avoid it, but if several babies need things at once it's much better to prop them and watch carefully than to let them scream.

Would you know if a 6 month old wasn’t happy?

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:33 pm

The only way to know is to occasionally pop in. Whoops forgot to send wipes! Oh, did I forget to tell you he has a well visit? Will they get annoyed? Possibly. Too bad. And no, your baby isn't necessarily alright because he seems happy. It isn't safe to keep a baby in a doona all day, but he may love it. And propping a bottle will keep a baby perfectly content, but is very dangerous when the caregiver isn't keeping an eye because she has to many babies to care for.

And obviously if she takes 12 babies for one caregiver, your baby is in a bad place, no going around that one.

Speaking as someone who works in the childcare field in lakewood and knows lots of babysitters and have witnessed way too much.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 6:07 pm
Would you know if a 6 month old wasn’t happy?

I think so. My babies love me almost as much as they love their mothers. It's not definitive but a content baby is a good sign. If there are no red flags and your baby is happy then I don't think you need to worry.

Btw a babysitter who gets annoyed if you drop in during the day is a red flag in my opinion.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:12 am
My neighbor just got onto CHS
She is now sending to women who is babysitting in her house and takes CHS she only has 4 babies, CHS rules.

Is that an option to make your house CHS ready?

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:57 am
Here’s the trick- leave your doona in the car so she can’t leave the baby in the doona

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:18 am
amother Valerian wrote:
My neighbor just got onto CHS
She is now sending to women who is babysitting in her house and takes CHS she only has 4 babies, CHS rules.

Is that an option to make your house CHS ready?

How much does a chs babysitter make per baby?

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 7:48 am
amother Amaryllis wrote:
Here’s the trick- leave your doona in the car so she can’t leave the baby in the doona

Yup I never bring my car seat in. Baby goes on the floor or in the high chair

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:28 am
Often parents have 2 cars and a different parent picks up. But if you need to "trick" the caregiver into taking proper care of your baby, you most likely have other problems to worry about.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:45 am
Babysitting is hard work. With your own you know you are doing what's best. With someone's, you're figuring out what they like/need/want, AND dealing with the child's mother. I stopped doing it, bc it was not worth the physical and mental pressure. On top of the mess it left me with. But I think if I had space, I would open a place with cameras for moms to watch, and charge more.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries