Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Girls and mom Melava malka

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:11 am
I’m planning a meleva malka for girls and their mothers for 3rd grade girls at my house. Can anyone give me ideas of:
-an activity
-should someone speak or is it fine to just be a shmoozing type event
-menu idea, to make it easy for me. I was thinking: pizza, cut up veggies or a salad bar, still don’t know about dessert although maybe it could be part of the activity?

TIA!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:41 am
What is the purpose of the melava malka? Is it just a bonding exercise? Then I think it's enough to have food, they do an activity together.
What is your relationship for the event? If you are their teacher, then you could have all the girls do a song or something for the mothers to watch.
I also don't know how many people you're talking about. When I made a family malava malka (wasn't all the family, around 25ppl), we did onion soup, pizza, cheesy pasta, rice, salmon, roasted veg. I did mini pizzas, as they cooked much faster and more people could get a piece sooner.
Salad bar is always nice, but it takes so long to cut up all the vegetables that I didn't want to bother. Also there isn't much time from the end of shabbos to needing to be ready, so I wanted as much as possible in advance.
I would possibly do something they decorate together as an activity, or decorate for each other. You can buy cute kits or something from places like ali.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:48 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
What is the purpose of the melava malka? Is it just a bonding exercise? Then I think it's enough to have food, they do an activity together.
What is your relationship for the event? If you are their teacher, then you could have all the girls do a song or something for the mothers to watch.
I also don't know how many people you're talking about. When I made a family malava malka (wasn't all the family, around 25ppl), we did onion soup, pizza, cheesy pasta, rice, salmon, roasted veg. I did mini pizzas, as they cooked much faster and more people could get a piece sooner.
Salad bar is always nice, but it takes so long to cut up all the vegetables that I didn't want to bother. Also there isn't much time from the end of shabbos to needing to be ready, so I wanted as much as possible in advance.
I would possibly do something they decorate together as an activity, or decorate for each other. You can buy cute kits or something from places like ali.

Just for fun, and I am a mother of one of the girls. How do I make mini pizzas if the pizzas need to be pas and chalav yisroel? Isn’t it easier to just buy?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:54 am
amother OP wrote:
Just for fun, and I am a mother of one of the girls. How do I make mini pizzas if the pizzas need to be pas and chalav yisroel? Isn’t it easier to just buy?

Use Rhodes rolls. Defrost and flatten out into rounds.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:57 am
amother OP wrote:

If you're buying, then sure, just buy. I was making them myself, and it was easier to just do them in mini than full pizza pies. On one tray I got something like 10-15 mini pizzas, whilst a pizza pie would take up the same space in my oven and I would get maybe half as many slices.
If it's just for fun, then I would get a cute activity, something to decorate together, some shmoozing and that sounds great. Also try and co-ordinate with the other moms so you're not doing all the work.

Sunflower11

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:52 am
For dessert I would ice cream with a bunch of toppings. Quick, easy and cute
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics