Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to wear to grandparent’s levaya.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:36 pm
I know it is tacky that I am asking,
But in all seriousness, I have DD’s in shuduchim.
The diagnosis is terminal and I am trying to be realistic.

myself

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Unless you're in the Southern hemisphere you'll likely be wearing a coat and no-one will see what you're wearing. Hugs and besuros tovos!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:39 pm
Regular weekday outfit. No one will look at what they wear.

anonymous mom

What has daughters in shidduchim got to do with this?????

Just wear any simple every day outfit. No fancy makeup or jewelry.

amother
Mulberry

Just normal clothes. Really.

NechaMom

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:42 pm
Black or dark/dull colors. Most simple wig and not much makeup. Besuros tovos.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:43 pm
Nice weekday. Black skirt, nice-ish sweater, comfortable flats. Warmest coat for the kevurah, regardless of what it is, assuming east coast.

Sometimes when we are overwhelmed by life, things that may not come easy to us, like picking clothes out, feel impossible. I mentally send you and your family strength.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:44 pm
Wear what you normally wear on a weekday. When it happens you’ll be stressed and running. It’s not a bad idea to put aside something clean in a corner of your closet so you can get dressed without thinking. Kids in shidduchim has nothing to do with this. Besuros Tovos.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:45 pm
Normal everyday clothing but not shlumpy.
I wouldn’t go with loud colors.
Unfortunately I went to too many levayos in my life.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:48 pm
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Do yourself a favor and don't give 2 second's thought to someone who would not date your daughter because of what you wore to your grandfather's funeral.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:53 pm
No idea for the source at all but we wore shabbos clothes to my grandfather's levaya to honor him. I dont think the people who were tearing kriya did though.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:55 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
No idea for the source at all but we wore shabbos clothes to my grandfather's levaya to honor him. I dont think the people who were tearing kriya did though.

Interesting. My grandfathers levaya was on motzei shabbos and we were told to wear weekday clothing.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

Can I ask what your daughter being in shiduchim has to do with whag you wear to a levaya?
Im not getting it.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:57 pm
Regular weekday, but more formal, not sporty. Not too casual like a slinky skirt and sneakers. Just respectable. Nothing loud or out there.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:01 pm
Black skirt, black tights, loafers or other non-fancy flats, sweater, minimal or no jewelry is what I see most people wear.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:15 pm
In regard to what their being in shidduchim has to do with it.

1) The levaya is inside and coats will not be worn. The kevurah will be outside with coats.

2) No idea what people in that age bracket wear. B”H I have no been to families levaya (the perk of a tiny family) and when I go to my friends’s parents, I am going in the middle of my work day with whatever I wear to work. Can’t go by that, I have never dressed with the leveaya as a destination. Usually I don’t even know I am going until after I am dressed.

3) let’s be honest, we have our DD’s dress with more care when they are shidducim when they go to a supermarket, a cousin’s wedding, or any and all times. We would like to believe nobody is looking and what is on the inside is what is important, but in reality, people look, people talk and you never know who will be where and what they will say. Someone may see her and think of her or someone might say something negative. Just being a realist.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:20 pm
OP It's your Grandparent? Comfortable clothing as you will probably help in the Shiva Home with meals and food and things. You can wear comfy skirts, tops, and nice sneakers. If you want a Shaitel, or snood. We all wore snoods as we so didn't feel a need for a shaitel. Just be comfy and have Koach.

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:28 pm
amother OP wrote:

1) The levaya is inside and coats will not be worn. The kevurah will be outside with coats.

2) No idea what people in that age bracket wear. B”H I have no been to families levaya (the perk of a tiny family) and when I go to my friends’s parents, I am going in the middle of my work day with whatever I wear to work. Can’t go by that, I have never dressed with the leveaya as a destination. Usually I don’t even know I am going until after I am dressed.

3) let’s be honest, we have our DD’s dress with more care when they are shidducim when they go to a supermarket, a cousin’s wedding, or any and all times. We would like to believe nobody is looking and what is on the inside is what is important, but in reality, people look, people talk and you never know who will be where and what they will say. Someone may see her and think of her or someone might say something negative. Just being a realist.

Whatever you would wear to work (office/school) is perfect.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:29 pm
It is not necessary to wear black. Black as a mourning color is not a Jewish custom. Just wear sober clothing, nothing eye-catching or frivolous. Makeup and jewelry are unnecessary; this is a funeral, not a wedding. Avoid mascara for obvious reasons.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:32 pm
amother OP wrote:

OP, your asking what your daughter should wear to her grandparents funeral?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics