Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Chulent for Shabbos Lunch only

pleaseadvice

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:44 pm
Would like to make chulent in the oven on Thursday to eat for Shabbat lunch. For warming will place on pan on top of the blech early Shabbat morning. Has anyone tried it?

Success10

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:46 pm
Cholent needs to be on a heat source from before Shabbos, it can't be reheated on Shabbos day. At least Ashkenazim pasken this way.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:47 pm
I have a friend who does this. I’m assuming her Chulent is a dry texture since it’s forbidden to heat up liquid.
I have a recipe that might work for reheating if you want. Its first baked in the oven.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:48 pm
Success10 wrote:
Cholent needs to be on a heat source from before Shabbos, it can't be reheated on Shabbos day. At least Ashkenazim pasken this way.

She can make it Thursday night cooking till Friday and then put it in the fridge. She would not be able to add liquid.

kenz

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:00 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
She can make it Thursday night cooking till Friday and then put it in the fridge. She would not be able to add liquid.

What’s considered dry is generally not a chulent consistency. Dry is usually like a slice of challah. Even kugels can have too much moisture. It’s definitely a sheilah.
That said, honestly, it sounds gross. Why would you want to eat reheated chulent on Shabbos? Unless you’re planning to be away and this is the only way to have chulent, though I would just do without. A crockpot is so simple to use.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:37 pm
Personally I would use a crockpot or a blech but I do think it’s possible to reheat Chulent if it doesn’t have liquid. I never tried it and I doubt it would get hot enough to be considered hot Chulent but if this is how she likes it…
Op, you can keep a pot on the blech all night. This is how people used to make Chulent all the time. There are some who still use the pot/blech method but for some reason crockpots are more popular these days.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:43 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
I have a friend who does this. I’m assuming her Chulent is a dry texture since it’s forbidden to heat up liquid.
I have a recipe that might work for reheating if you want. Its first baked in the oven.

Cholent is generally not considered a dry food, even if the cholent doesn't have much liquid.
Dry food that may be warmed on shabbos is challah, kugel, shnitzel.... cholent generally needs to be on the heat source from before shabbos.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:53 pm
lkwdlady wrote:

But even without adding liquid, once the chilent starts heating up on a blech/plata, it will be liquidy and therefor ashkenazim have to put it on before shabbat starts.

lilytee

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:57 pm
pleaseadvice wrote:
Would like to make chulent in the oven on Thursday to eat for Shabbat lunch. For warming will place on pan on top of the blech early Shabbat morning. Has anyone tried it?

Every week except I put the cholent in a crockpot right before the zman.

shani1

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:08 pm
lilytee wrote:
Every week except I put the cholent in a crockpot right before the zman.

It has to be cooked before shabbos starts..

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:10 pm
shani1 wrote:

False. Either completely raw or edible.

cbg

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:13 pm
shani1 wrote:

My Rav says either cooked or completely raw. It cannot be par-cooked
I put my cholent completely raw in the crockpot right before candlelighting

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:19 pm
shani1 wrote:

Either completely cooked or completely raw.
(Though I do know people that were paskened by more stringent dayanim, that it needs to be fully cooked before shabbos.)

lilytee

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:32 pm
shani1 wrote:

As others have said it can be either fully cooked or raw. Either way, I make it as Thursday dinner and usually have enough for Shabbos too, so I just transfer it from the oven pan to crockpot.

keym

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:44 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Either completely cooked or completely raw.
(Though I do know people that were paskened by more stringent dayanim, that it needs to be fully cooked before shabbos.)

I just read in a halacha pamphlet that apparently there's a difference between raw chicken and raw meat.
But I don't remember the differences

balance

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:49 pm
keym wrote:
I just read in a halacha pamphlet that apparently there's a difference between raw chicken and raw meat.
But I don't remember the differences

The difference is that anything with bones is never considered fully cooked because the longer you cook the bones the better they get. So chicken with bones in cholent can be an issue for chazara because they are not considered fully cooked.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 7:28 pm
it depends on what the heat source is. is it on a stove or a plata and is the heat adjustible? all that matters.

teachkids

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 7:53 pm
Short answer OP- the whole point of Chulent is to leave it in the crockpot/ blech/ oven on low from Friday till Shabbos lunch and making it ahead and trying to reheat it is either a halachik issue or a kitchen crime (who wants lukewarm reheated dry chulent?!) or both.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 7:57 pm
balance wrote:
The difference is that anything with bones is never considered fully cooked because the longer you cook the bones the better they get. So chicken with bones in cholent can be an issue for chazara because they are not considered fully cooked.

Then why would flanken on the bone not also be an issue?

acemom

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 3:22 pm
teachkids wrote:
Short answer OP- the whole point of Chulent is to leave it in the crockpot/ blech/ oven on low from Friday till Shabbos lunch and making it ahead and trying to reheat it is either a halachik issue or a kitchen crime (who wants lukewarm reheated dry chulent?!) or both.

This.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus