Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Construction field no luck getting work
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:20 am
I work for a company in the constrution field.. They serviced a couple of homes while the company was still in Brooklyn. Now that they relocated thinking there was a need and a boom of construction here, It is simply impossible to get jobs..
This is a company with many years of experience... did many townhoused in manhattan, beautiful buildings for the yuppies in dowtown /williamsburg, many, many custom homes in Bp flatbush, Syrian community, etc etc...
So my question is what is the secret??
Is this like with the schools, that there is no room for anyone else?
Are builders really married to one sub that they don't even want to take your bid?
Not looking to take away anyone's Parnassah (with the population explosion there should be enough for everyone) but do the same 2 ppl need to have a monoply, because they arrived here 10 or 15 years before?
Ready to give up and close shop, but wondering if I'm missing something

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:46 am
When it comes to high end construction, lowest cost is not as important as exceptional history of Excellence.

Perhaps you should focus more on low end house builds where people are primarily looking for a bargain.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:47 am
Not in the field at all but I’m thinking there’s a slowdown in the construction industry. Way less people and businesses are able to afford it with the current interest rates and high expenses.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:55 am
amother Glitter wrote:
When it comes to high end construction, lowest cost is not as important as exceptional history of Excellence.

Perhaps you should focus more on low end house builds where people are primarily looking for a bargain.

Well they have done work for High profile ppl, TV personalities , very custom homes in the Syrian community Brooklyn and Deal... Countless homes in Lawrence...
The References and history is all there so why wouldn't they even agree to look at it ?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:57 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Not in the field at all but I’m thinking there’s a slowdown in the construction industry. Way less people and businesses are able to afford it with the current interest rates and high expenses.

Not from what our sales people are seeing in Lakewood and surrounding area

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:59 am
My feeling is that you need an 'in.' You have to find the right person and cultivate a relationship with him. Many of these guys have been working together for years. They all know one who knows the other...

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 12:06 pm
What do you mean by construction field? Is this a specific vendor / trade or a general builder?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 12:09 pm
Are you looking to get hired by contractors or by the client? My experience has been that contractors like working with people that they have a relationship with already, they know how and when the work will get done. Clients are many times open to new options, usually when they are looking for a more budget friendly option they will go searching.
Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 12:09 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
What do you mean by construction field? Is this a specific vendor / trade or a general builder?

Specific Vendor hired by builders

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 12:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
designer or private home owners

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 12:11 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
Are you looking to get hired by contractors or by the client? My experience has been that contractors like working with people that they have a relationship with already, they know how and when the work will get done. Clients are many times open to new options, usually when they are looking for a more budget friendly option they will go searching.
Hatzlacha!

Thank you.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 12:18 pm
Can you get in with the designers? I feel like that's where it's at in Lakewood. You will need to reach out and go in to sell your product. The high end designers in Lakewood like to make new relationships with good vendors and keep them!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 12:27 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
Can you get in with the designers? I feel like that's where it's at in Lakewood. You will need to reach out and go in to sell your product. The high end designers in Lakewood like to make new relationships with good vendors and keep them!

I've been in touch with with some of them and we actually did some of their personal homes. They were pleased with the work , but their claim is that the builder wants to use their own...
But I would reach out to more designers...
Can anyone list the top 5?

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 12:35 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
My feeling is that you need an 'in.' You have to find the right person and cultivate a relationship with him. Many of these guys have been working together for years. They all know one who knows the other...

This is what I see also. I'm also in a construction related business and we deal with the same companies again and again. My boss has personal relationships with the bosses and they all have his personal cell number. Your bosses need to figure out a way to get to know them personally. Do they have people in common who can introduce them? Or maybe previous clients who are happy to make the introductions.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 12:48 pm
Construction is based on service, loyalty, relationship, and pricing. I think Lakewood builders have been working with people for years and years, are satisfied with their service and want to give Parnasa to their neighbors.

I don’t think they are running to give business to a guy from Brooklyn who decided grab an opportunity and make money here.

Another very important factor is Lakewood wants cheap. Even the high end homes do things CHEAP. Everyone wants a bargain. It’s very very different than New York construction. So even though you may offer a superior service, people are not interested in paying for it if they can get the job done for cheaper.

I would say to stick to jobs in NY and hopefully with time people will hear that you also service Lakewood and you may be able to build things up.

I don’t agree that a decorator decides which vendor to use- maybe for design related items or for small things but a big job like masonry, electric etc goes based on price and the builder

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 1:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
I've been in touch with with some of them and we actually did some of their personal homes. They were pleased with the work , but their claim is that the builder wants to use their own...
But I would reach out to more designers...
Can anyone list the top 5?

I would say Susan Strauss, Ettil Cyperstein, Cipi Rosenberg

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 1:04 pm
amother Gold wrote:
Construction is based on service, loyalty, relationship, and pricing. I think Lakewood builders have been working with people for years and years, are satisfied with their service and want to give Parnasa to their neighbors.

I don’t think they are running to give business to a guy from Brooklyn who decided grab an opportunity and make money here.

Another very important factor is Lakewood wants cheap. Even the high end homes do things CHEAP. Everyone wants a bargain. It’s very very different than New York construction. So even though you may offer a superior service, people are not interested in paying for it if they can get the job done for cheaper.

I would say to stick to jobs in NY and hopefully with time people will hear that you also service Lakewood and you may be able to build things up.

I don’t agree that a decorator decides which vendor to use- maybe for design related items or for small things but a big job like masonry, electric etc goes based on price and the builder

Right it's hard to know without knowing the specifics. Those are trades and she said vendor. So I was thinking doors, trim, flooring, stairs. Alot of this is decided by designer.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 3:24 pm
amother Gold wrote:

your attitude is not so nice!!
The money earned will be going directly to
Lakewood Schools
Lakewood Yeshivos
Lakewood Playgroup
Lakewood Groceries
Lakewood Clothing Stores
Lakewood Hosiery Stores
Should I go on?
As for the NY projects, alot of thr clients and most of their children have moved to Lakewood. Would you complain that someone born originally in Brooklyn is built a huge home in the hope chapel area and used a lakewood born builder??
It's time to get rid of this Brooklyn/Lakewood devide. We are all one now and working toward the same goal

gamanit

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 4:00 pm
amother OP wrote:

Are you going to tradeshows? Are you doing cold calls? I once tried a new vendor when I was frustrated with an old one and someone cold-called just at the right time. We're still using the new one because he's good.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 4:17 pm
gamanit wrote:
Are you going to tradeshows? Are you doing cold calls? I once tried a new vendor when I was frustrated with an old one and someone cold-called just at the right time. We're still using the new one because he's good.

No to the trade shows.... Can you name some so I can follow for info...
yes to the cold calling and out on the road
a lot of rude curt responses and attitude...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries