Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Scared of animals on clothes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 8:45 pm
I bought my just 2 yr old daughter new fleece pajamas from carters because it's so coldish in her room and the fleece will keep her warm. They have a graphic of a cute, friendly looking animal. However, she literally freaks out when I try to put them on her. I tried showing her the unicorn and the bear in the light, patting them, saying hi, making her comfortable with them but she'll do that and then still freak out when I try to put it on her. She doesn't talk much so she can't explain why but she's obviously afraid. How can I get her used to it? I tried forcing but she was literally shaking so I retracted and took out her regular cotton ones but then I feel bad that she'll be cold at night because her blankets never stay on her. Any advice?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 8:54 pm
Buy her ones without animals on them. Jewish brands have velour, also an option. Or put it on with cotton one on top maybe to cover the animal?

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 8:59 pm
Why don’t you try a fleece sleep sack instead?

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 10:02 pm
How do you know it's the animals she's scared of? Maybe there's a totally separate issue she can't verbalize to you.
Does she get scared of animals in books?

s c

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 10:15 pm
I wouldn't push it, she's 2 and she's scared of those pj's so why make her wear them? One of my toddlers was very scared of buttons and it lasted a long time so I just didn't buy clothes with buttons for him but over time we talked about how when he would be a big boy and start school he would wear buttons, and he did! Personally I would leave her be until she's older and can verbalise or unless she starts becoming anxious and afraid of many clothes/items.

NJ

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 10:34 pm
I laughed out loud when I read your title because I can totally picture my 2 year old gettin scared of his pajamas! And his older siblings when they were that age.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:03 pm
Many years ago, my sister used to wear her pajama shirt backward so she wouldn't be scared of the animal on the front. BH she is now married with kids and a totally normal person.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:29 pm
Thanks all! I usually buy her jewish brands but the velour aren't warm enough because there's no foot part and the carters ones have feet into the bigger sizes. I guess I'll just get more that don't have animals. I forgot to mention that the 3rd one without an animal on it she wears nicely without complaining so I'm pretty sure it's the animals problem. I thought maybe there's a a way to slowly get her adjusted to them but I guess it's not worth the fight.

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 11:47 pm
I had the same problem with one of my kids. I didn’t fight it, just got more stuff without the “scary animals”.

GoldenOra

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:26 am
Can you put them on her inside out or would that ruin their comfort?
Btw the idea of a little 2 year old being scared of animals on her shirt is absolutely adorable and also so normal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics