Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is 5 bottles a day ok
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 8:44 pm
Mollydolly wrote:
if baby cries at 10:45 (as per your example) who said he/she is hungry... not every cry is hunger.. they may want to burp/ change position/ need a diaper change/ tired etccc...
a happy baby is a scheduled baby

Sorry, that makes no sense. Don't you have times when you're hungrier/thirstier than usual?
Maybe baby is growing through a growth spurt and is actually hungry in the middle of the night. Why would you deny them food just because it doesn't align with your schedule?

Mollydolly

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 8:47 pm
when you wake in middle of night are you hungry? No. u roll over and go back to sleep.
if baby consistently sleeps through the night , why on one random night would it suddenly need a bottle in middle of the night? Im not referring to sleep training. I am talking about a baby that sleeps on its own.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 8:54 pm
Mollydolly wrote:
if baby cries at 10:45 (as per your example) who said he/she is hungry... not every cry is hunger.. they may want to burp/ change position/ need a diaper change/ tired etccc...
a happy baby is a scheduled baby

This is so wrong and based on advice from 1950. Molly please reconsider. I feel so sad for your poor babies.
A happy baby is a baby who is fed when they want to eat. You are supposed to be feeding on demand, not feeding on a rigid schedule. If a baby is hungry at 1045 you should feed them.

A scheduled baby who only has a bottle four times in a 24 hour period is being abused and neglected. Very sad.
Molly do you have a lot of kids? Please change and learn about babies before your babies are subjected to this mindset.

NechaMom

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 8:55 pm
Mollydolly wrote:
when you wake in middle of night are you hungry? No. u roll over and go back to sleep.
if baby consistently sleeps through the night , why on one random night would it suddenly need a bottle in middle of the night? Im not referring to sleep training. I am talking about a baby that sleeps on its own.

My example was in middle of the day before the exact 4 hours were up. Babies are not robots. They may get hungry earlier and should never be denied food. I never said every cry is hunger but there are times that it may be and shouldn’t be ignored.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
Sorry, that makes no sense. Don't you have times when you're hungrier/thirstier than usual?
Maybe baby is growing through a growth spurt and is actually hungry in the middle of the night. Why would you deny them food just because it doesn't align with your schedule?

This. Molly, please rethink your approach.

NechaMom

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 8:57 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
This is so wrong and based on advice from 1950. Molly please reconsider. I feel so sad for your poor babies.
A happy baby is a baby who is fed when they want to eat. You are supposed to be feeding on demand, not feeding on a rigid schedule. If a baby is hungry at 1045 you should feed them.

A scheduled baby who only has a bottle four times in a 24 hour period is being abused and neglected. Very sad.
Molly do you have a lot of kids? Please change and learn about babies before your babies are subjected to this mindset.

Thank you. I know some Molly’s IRL. They’ll let their babies scream for hunger but the clock didn’t hit the exact mark they decided on so they won’t get food!

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 8:57 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Feed her 8 oz every 4 hours during the day. This is 100% fine and she will do beautifully. Btw she is not thirsty. Babies are not adults eating salt they are completly fine with eating the correct amount of oz in less feedings. Why in the world would u force her to eat that 12 am feeding?!

You don’t need to force feed obviously. You should feed when baby wants to eat as long as it’s around every 3 hours during the day. Babies do get thirsty, I don’t know where you made that up from.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:01 pm
NechaMom wrote:
Thank you. I know some Molly’s IRL. They’ll let their babies scream for hunger but the clock didn’t hit the exact mark they decided on so they won’t get food!

Yes, it’s the saddest thing to watch. Hurts my heart and is cruel. Mothers need more education as many don’t have access to knowledge and are just copying what their mothers and grandmothers did from decades ago.

I wish there was a way to educate mothers about demand feeding . Every single current medical recommendation is to cue feed or demand feed. Scheduled feedings are a thing of the past. They aren’t good for baby and can cause a lot of harm.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:06 pm
While we're on this subject, I once babysat for a baby whose mother left me a bottle with 6 ounces of formula. The baby drank the bottle and kept on sucking air and screaming. I called the mother to say that her daughter was still hungry. And mom said no, she always cries when she finishes her bottle, she doesn't need more.

I was devastated for that baby.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:06 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
While we're on this subject, I once babysat for a baby whose mother left me a bottle with 6 ounces of formula. The baby drank the bottle and kept on sucking air and screaming. I called the mother to say that her daughter was still hungry. And mom said no, she always cries when she finishes her bottle, she doesn't need more.

I hope you gave her more. So sad.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:09 pm
My babies BH sleep through the night pretty early on. However, if they do wake up crying randomly, I feed them then. I never understood scheduled feeding.
I also swaddle at night for the first few months. It helps baby sleep longer.
I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby for a feeding at night. I cluster feed from 6 pm to bedtime to fill baby up.

amother
Bronze

Mollydolly wrote:

Interestingly enough, I do randomly get munchy at night here and there. I can imagine a 3 month old is even more likely to get munchy. Sure, you could see if leaving baby for a couple of minutes will lead him to fall back asleep. But if he's crying, go feed him!

amother
IndianRed

Why all the hate?
What is wrong with a HAPPY scheduled baby that gets enough to eat, sleeps well, and reaches its milestones?
This is purely for bottle fed babies.
Obvs not for a nursing baby!
Most ppl do not realize that they are feeding baby at the wrong time and this is hindering baby from having proper naps or night time routines

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:10 pm
I hope you gave her more. So sad.

No. I was pitching in for an hour and didn't have anything else to give.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:11 pm
amother Ivory wrote:

This is so sad. I was at a shabbos meal for a few hours and the mother just wouldn't give her wailing 3 month old baby a bottle. I was so puzzled. She seemed like such a functional person. Your baby is bawling her brains out for the last couple of hours and all you are doing is patting her. Why????

NechaMom

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:12 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Why all the hate?
What is wrong with a HAPPY scheduled baby that gets enough to eat, sleeps well, and reaches its milestones?
Most ppl do not realize that they are feeding baby at the wrong time and this is hindering baby from having proper naps or night time routines

We’re not talking about happy. We’re talking about denying babies food when they cry because it doesn’t agree with the mother’s schedule.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:14 pm
[quote="amother IndianRed"]Why all the hate?
Most ppl do not realize that they are feeding baby at the wrong time and this is hindering baby from having proper naps or night time routines[/quote

There is no hate. There is concern for these babies.

Scheduling babies was something that was really pushed in the past. We now know that the optimal way to feed a baby is on demand. Baby gets to decide when and how much they want to eat, ( with us making sure they don’t go past 3 hours without food) during the day.

Scheduling is convenient and easy for mom but babies aren’t robots. They are individuals with needs that keep on changing based on how they feel, how they are growing and more. It’s cruel and rigid to feed on a 4 hour schedule 4 times in a 24 hour period. As baby gets older a loose schedule starts to develop but if a baby gets hungry earlier you always feed them. Don’t look at the clock, look at your baby.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:15 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
No. I was pitching in for an hour and didn't have anything else to give.

So sad. Poor baby.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:17 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
This is so sad. I was at a shabbos meal for a few hours and the mother just wouldn't give her wailing 3 month old baby a bottle. I was so puzzled. She seemed like such a functional person. Your baby is bawling her brains out for the last couple of hours and all you are doing is patting her. Why????

Yes, they will serve you a gourmet meal but deprive their baby a basic bottle. It’s just so sad.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:19 pm
Yes, they will serve you a gourmet meal but deprive their baby a basic bottle. It’s just so sad.

Exactly. I just don't get it. Are they ignorant?

Even when I was very overwhelmed and quite possibly had ppd I would never dream of not feeding my baby. Why would I just hold a crying baby, tapping them on the back when they hadn't eaten in a few hours?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics