Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Strabismus/Eye Procedure-how to prep DC

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 12:44 am
Any tips or ideas?
Have a toddler that will iyh be having the procedure and want to give them an idea of what to expect and prepare them.

I.e. Like showing the show Arthur where DW had ear tubes put in to prep the kid of what's happening and what to expect..

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:09 pm
Anyone?

amother
Pear

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone?

I had it multiple times as a kid.
How old is your child?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:13 pm
amother Pear wrote:
How old is your child?

3ish

amother
Pear

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:13 pm
How old is your child?
It wasn't scary for me - It was worse when I got older tbh. The recovery was also much harder each time. First time wasn't bad.
I wouldn't prep in advance because I think child will worry- it's hard to explain.
Prep the day before.
The doctor will put him/her to sleep. When she wakes up her eyes will look funny and feel funny. They will try to make your eyes see better.
Something like that.
Bring along a bag of comfort things and let them pack it up with you.
eyes will be very very red at first. Bloodshot red. Looks worse than it feels .

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:15 pm
amother Pear wrote:
How old is your child?
It wasn't scary for me - It was worse when I got older tbh. The recovery was also much harder each time. First time wasn't bad.
I wouldn't prep in advance because I think child will worry- it's hard to explain.
Prep the day before.
The doctor will put him/her to sleep. When she wakes up her eyes will look funny and feel funny. They will try to make your eyes see better.
Something like that.
Bring along a bag of comfort things and let them pack it up with you.
eyes will be very very red at first. Bloodshot red. Looks worse than it feels .

Awesome! Thank you!
Anything that you found helpful to make the recovery smoother?

amother
Pear

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Awesome! Thank you!
Anything that you found helpful to make the recovery smoother?

When I got up I think the hardest part I remember was feeling ucky from the anesthesia. That was actually the scariest part for me. Having them put a mask on my face. But Im not sure they do that anymore. They might do IV first, and the mask only once the kid is sleeping. But no prep will make a kid "unscared" of that. Just you have to make sure that whoever goes into the OR with him is calm and then they will feel calmer.
Bring along ices and ask if you can put in the nurses station freezer. They wake up mouth is very dry and they are very confused.
Don't get nervous if theres alot of crying in the first few hours. Very unlikely it's from real pain. Probably just the affect of the anesthesia.
If you never had that surgery- it feels uncomfortable but not really painful.
Those are my memories as a kid.
Like I said, I had it again multiple times and as I got older it did get more painful.
Also, maybe don't have him look in the mirror right away, and don't comment on how his eyes look. I remember getting really scared seeing myself!
And when I cried the tears were very bloody- again, try not to focus on it too much because it can be scary. Just wipe it away . If he asks you can say that the booboo will go away and then it will stop bleeding.
hugs, kisses, and yummy treats.
I hope it works perfectly!
Who is doing the surgery?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:26 pm
amother Pear wrote:
When I got up I think the hardest part I remember was feeling ucky from the anesthesia. That was actually the scariest part for me. Having them put a mask on my face. But Im not sure they do that anymore. They might do IV first, and the mask only once the kid is sleeping. But no prep will make a kid "unscared" of that. Just you have to make sure that whoever goes into the OR with him is calm and then they will feel calmer.
Bring along ices and ask if you can put in the nurses station freezer. They wake up mouth is very dry and they are very confused.
Don't get nervous if theres alot of crying in the first few hours. Very unlikely it's from real pain. Probably just the affect of the anesthesia.
If you never had that surgery- it feels uncomfortable but not really painful.
Those are my memories as a kid.
Like I said, I had it again multiple times and as I got older it did get more painful.
Also, maybe don't have him look in the mirror right away, and don't comment on how his eyes look. I remember getting really scared seeing myself!
And when I cried the tears were very bloody- again, try not to focus on it too much because it can be scary. Just wipe it away . If he asks you can say that the booboo will go away and then it will stop bleeding.
hugs, kisses, and yummy treats.
I hope it works perfectly!
Who is doing the surgery?

Campolaterro
Did he do yours?

amother
Pear

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Campolaterro
Did he do yours?

Nope, never heard of him- but you may very well be in a different country!
Where are you located?
I did 4 in manhattan and the last one was in Baltimore

oneofakind

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:39 pm
I can't imagine a way I could have prepared my 18 month old. Maybe if I had an oxygen mask ( this was a long time ago) at home to play with. First they gave him some sweet sedative by mouth. It made him a bit loopy. He cried when they put on the mask and when he woke up. Then he drank and ate and was totally fine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 7:43 pm
amother Pear wrote:
Nope, never heard of him- but you may very well be in a different country!
Where are you located?
I did 4 in manhattan and the last one was in Baltimore

Doc is located in Manhattan. Lol

Thanks for all your help!

erm

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 7:52 pm
Make sure to bring along sunglasses. the eyes are really sensitive to light.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 8:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any tips or ideas?
Have a toddler that will iyh be having the procedure and want to give them an idea of what to expect and prepare them.

I.e. Like showing the show Arthur where DW had ear tubes put in to prep the kid of what's happening and what to expect..

My son is 2.5 and had his tear ducts surgically opened 2 weeks ago.

Pre-op
He "had gunk in his eyes" (oozing pus) and we first went to the eye Dr who examined him and was very kid friendly. Son has a Dr kit at home and recognized the cuff (will give you a big hug!), stethoscope, etc, and felt comfortable with the tools. I didn't say we are going to the hospital, but rather we are going to see the Dr and he will make no more gunk in your eyes.

At the hospital
I was totally calm and treated it as another Dr appt, davened ahead of time and focused on him.
They gave him a coloring book and crayons as we checked in. He got to put on special pajamas, BP cuff etc. He did get a little nervous while we waited for our turn in the OR, so we snuggled in the big chair and nurses gave us heated blankets. I carried him to the OR and they had me sit him down on the bed. I asked that the put the stickers on him after he was asleep bc from previous exp knew he hates them. I explained he gets to wear a special mask just like Mommy and we did the breath work and as soon as he was out they whisked me out of the room

Post-op
Surgery was BH a success. He slept for 1 hours after surg and BH woke up on a good mood. nurses came to get me, he told me Mommy I leeping! Then we went back to our cubicle, he got to drink as much apple juice as he wanted, I dressed him, and we went home

He doesn't like eye drops I have to put in morning and night, but we snuggle afterwards and then hes OK. They don't hurt he just doesn't like the sensation.

I Hope this helps!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics