Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Non Jewish camp song tune ideas

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 11:58 am
Hi! Any ideas for a tune for a camp song? Non jewish song but clean, not overplayed. Thanks so much!

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 12:14 pm
1. Why davka a nonjewish tune?
2. Any lively simple tune with a clear beat, much repetition and a fairly narrow range is game. Check out popular folk songs and show tunes. E .g. I've been working on the railroad, fifteen miles on the Erie canal, on top of old smoky, you're in the army now, Battle Hymn of the Republic aka Glory Halleluj-ah, America the Beautiful, If I were a Rich Man...

Or are you looking for existing camp songs?

Choirmistress

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 11:27 pm
Try "Hello, Muddah, Hello, Fadduh" by Allan Sherman. Or one we sang at Camp Agudah, "They say at Camp Agudah, the food is very fine; you eat it up by seven, and bring it up by nine..." etc. You can substitute the name of your own camp. The tune is simple and easily learned.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 11:37 pm
Just warning you, not always the best idea to use a not Jewish tune
When I was in camp years ago, they used a song from hairspray
They thought it was an old show so no one would know what it was, but hairspray had just come out with their movie a couple years before and we all knew it

To the posters above, OP means a tune to make the theme song from, not random old songs

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:09 am
amother Chestnut wrote:
Just warning you, not always the best idea to use a not Jewish tune
When I was in camp years ago, they used a song from hairspray
They thought it was an old show so no one would know what it was, but hairspray had just come out with their movie a couple years before and we all knew it

To the posters above, OP means a tune to make the theme song from, not random old songs

1. She asked specifically for nonJewish song tunes. Why, I wouldn't bother trying to guess. 2. She did not specify "theme songs" so how do you know that's what she meant?
3. Any tune can be made into a theme song; it's the words that count. In fact, any melody can be made to fit any musical style simply by changing the speed and manner in which it is sung. Hava Nagila was originally a slow , mournful, wordless Chassidish niggun, adapted by the lyricist into a rousing, rollicking, fast-paced ditty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps