Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
ISO Decorators familiar w quality furniture online
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:23 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
There are a number of decorating groups on Facebook, where people make suggestions if you post a picture of the room. There are also people on there who offer virtual design services, with links to items you can buy.

For me, this would be a great help only if their recommendations are backed by knowledge of the quality of the brands theyre suggesting, and also, if their recommendations are of sources of up to date furniture at better prices than the stores in the community.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:20 am
amother OP wrote:
For me, this would be a great help only if their recommendations are backed by knowledge of the quality of the brands theyre suggesting, and also, if their recommendations are of sources of up to date furniture at better prices than the stores in the community.

If you find someone you’re happy with, please post.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:30 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
If you find someone you’re happy with, please post.

Maybe its a fantasy.

Im looking for decorator coupled with budget shopper (not free, but better priced than Lakewood stores).

But Im sure there are decorators that share great sources for furniture.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:55 am
OP, I think the reason you're not getting what you're looking for is that you're looking for a unicorn - I.e. a designer who works with low budget options.

A designer is a luxury. The people using designers can generally afford this luxury service. It follows that they can afford the pricier options that the designers suggest. Also, a lot of people who use designers get customized furniture.

I don't think there's a secret club of insider information on cheap, quality furniture that the designers just aren't willing to share. There are probably people who are good at putting together a room, who follow trends in decor, and whose homes are pulled together on a budget. But they most likely did it on their own and took a gamble with some of the furniture.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:09 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
OP, I think the reason you're not getting what you're looking for is that you're looking for a unicorn - I.e. a designer who works with low budget options.

A designer is a luxury. The people using designers can generally afford this luxury service. It follows that they can afford the pricier options that the designers suggest. Also, a lot of people who use designers get customized furniture.

I don't think there's a secret club of insider information on cheap, quality furniture that the designers just aren't willing to share. There are probably people who are good at putting together a room, who follow trends in decor, and whose homes are pulled together on a budget. But they most likely did it on their own and took a gamble with some of the furniture.

Agreed.

If you want help "designing" a room, you can find a decorator who will create a board for you. They will either charge a flat rate or charge by the hour. You would then shop for those items on your own although there are also decorators who will accompany you for an hourly rate.

In general a reputable designer is not going to recommend inexpensive sofas from Wayfair - not because they are trying to gouge you but because the sofas are generally of low quality and poor constructed and also because they have no knowledge of the quality.

You could use the board you have paid for to find the look you want. But most designers have recommended sources for the furniture or other items they recommend - because they are confident in the quality.

If you want to do it on your own, you should take the time to learn about how furniture is constructed. Even if you decide to buy furniture in a store you should still be able to determine whether the furniture is high quality and well constructed instead of relying solely on a salesperson who has a vested interest in selling you something.

This is an excellent guide to sofas and sectionals with assessments of quality for every price range. Even if you don't take specific recommendations, it provides excellent information on how to evaluate the quality of a sofa.

https://insidersguidetofurnitu.....23-2/

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:18 pm
Amarante wrote:
This is an excellent guide to sofas and sectionals with assessments of quality for every price range. Even if you don't take specific recommendations, it provides excellent information on how to evaluate the quality of a sofa.

https://insidersguidetofurnitu.....23-2/

Thanks for weighing in.

So if I want a curved sofa, along the lines of the photo below, or a more trendy sectional, Im not going to find it within the brands mentioned in your link, that do only more traditional sofas, I think.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for weighing in.

So if I want a curved sofa, along the lines of the photo below, or a more trendy sectional, Im not going to find it within the brands mentioned in your link, that do only more traditional sofas, I think.

Not sure where you got the idea that high quality furniture is "one style".

If you want a particular style, then you can find it in cheap or expensive or custom with various levels of price depending - for the most part - on the quality.

The sofas sold on Wayfair are for the most part of low quality in terms of construction.

Middle level very contemporary furniture

https://modshop1.com

Very high end - some modern - some traditional - some contemporary

https://www.bakerfurniture.com.....ofas/

High end modern
https://www.roche-bobois.com/e......html

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:59 pm
Amarante wrote:

Middle level very contemporary furniture

https://modshop1.com

If Modshop is only middle level and costs $6,000 for a sectional, Im back to the Lakewood stores.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
If Modshop is only middle level and costs $6,000 for a sectional, Im back to the Lakewood stores.

Yes the Lakewood stores are mid level and some go up from there. But most things you are buying online are a gamble and will probably be lower quality.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:10 pm
amother OP wrote:

It depends on how you are defining "mid range"

But yes - that is approximately what the cost is for decent quality consumer furniture - it could be a bit higher because the trendier style means there is less saving in terms of production.

But the brands like Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel are at this kind of mid level price point.

The very high end brands like Baker could be $10,000. I priced a Baker leather simple swivel chair in leather and one chair was $6000.

Here is a Restoration Hardware curved sofa for example

https://rh.com/us/en/catalog/p.....quare

You have to decide what is most important to you. I would urge you to actually read about construction of sofas in the link I posted. It gives some valuable guidance on how to improve quality of whatever you buy by upgrading the foam to high density for foam for example

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:16 pm
Amarante wrote:
It depends on how you are defining "mid range"

But yes - that is approximately what the cost is for decent quality consumer furniture - it could be a bit higher because the trendier style means there is less saving in terms of production.

But the brands like Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel are at this kind of mid level price point.

The very high end brands like Baker could be $10,000. I priced a Baker leather simple swivel chair in leather and one chair was $6000.

Here is a Restoration Hardware curved sofa for example

https://rh.com/us/en/catalog/p.....quare

You have to decide what is most important to you. I would urge you to actually read about construction of sofas in the link I posted. It gives some valuable guidance on how to improve quality of whatever you buy by upgrading the foam to high density for foam for example

I think of Restoration Hardware as high end. I guess it's all relative.

I think of West Elm, Joss and Main type as midlevel.

rise above

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:19 pm
Check out TOV furniture. They have a lot of stylish options and I am very happy with the quality of everything I have purchased from them.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:34 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
I think of Restoration Hardware as high end. I guess it's all relative.

I think of West Elm, Joss and Main type as midlevel.

Depending on the style, West Elm can be in the $4000 to $6000 range

West Elm and Pottery Barn are sister companies owned by Williams-Sonoma

I never really explored them as furniture choices but I think West Elm is theoretically supposed to appeal to younger people in terms of style.

But "mid level" furniture is somewhat of an industry term and those brands are theoretically for the middle class market furnishing their home after they have "graduated" from IKEA or Ashley brand of furniture which is considered lower.

Furniture is extremely expensive.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:34 pm
A designer is a luxury and they recommend quality and higher prices items. This is sort of their business and reputation model.

You can ask advice from friends, Facebook groups, or here. You can search online, YouTube, Instagram and get your own ideas.
You can go into a furniture store and get guidance that way. You may need to compromise on look, quality or price if what you are looking for doesn't exist in your budget.

Many of us furnished our houses without designers.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 5:12 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Many of us furnished our houses without designers.

There are many decorators that dont insist on a minimum of hours, so imho, paying $150 to $200 for an hour, 2 or 3 times, to one or more decorators, is a small indulgence and probably well worth it if you want a professionals viewpoint.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 5:16 pm
rise above wrote:
Check out TOV furniture. They have a lot of stylish options and I am very happy with the quality of everything I have purchased from them.

Do they help you choose things?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 5:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
There are many decorators that dont insist on a minimum of hours, so imho, paying $150 to $200 for an hour, 2 or 3 times, to one or more decorators, is a small indulgence and probably well worth it if you want a professionals viewpoint.

Yes but who?

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 5:32 pm
Posting here from a designers perspective. The reality of decorators is that the good ones want to work with bigger budgets because that allows creative freedom. When you see those gorgeous pics like the one you posted, there are many finishes besides for the furniture that give you the final effect. Either way, it’s generally not doable for multiple reasons to get everything cheap online. It’s not that we don’t care about our clients pocket, we do, it’s just not feasible. I’m happy to save my clients money when I can and a good designer will know where/ when to spend and where to save.

The best deals honestly is when u shop for myself and friends/ family and can pick up deals but I have learned for the most part it’s not doable for clients from logistic/ business perspective it doesn’t work.

Facts there is no secret club. You get what you pay for. Better quality furniture is generally more expensive. And yes many designers do get commissions, but it should not be a secret! You’re welcome to ask a designer if and where she takes commissions.

One last thing. If you can’t afford it, by all means put it together yourself. But for the most part if you want it to look like the picture you saw in insta, be prepared to spend a pretty penny and hire a designer who you trust to make it happen, and then give her space to make it happen!

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 6:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
How and where did she find the rest of the furniture?

She was moving from another home and integrated some of her pieces.

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 6:03 pm
I'm a designer
Check out rove concept
And
Tov furniture
Good luck!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries