Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Putting cameras in school bathrooms (by the sinks)
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:40 am
One of the girls' schools in my area (purposely not naming it) recently put cameras in the elementary bathrooms, and they did so without notifying parents. These cameras are by the sinks, not the stalls.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this. I'm told this was done because of a bullying situation..one girl was bullied in the bathrooms specifically because the bully knew there were no cameras there.

While I 100% sympathize with the victim and her parents, I think cameras in the bathroom is a prison-esque violation of basic human privacy. While discussing this on shabbos with others, it was clear that many felt it's not a big deal, since the bathroom sink is not a private area.

I have girls in this school, but not in the elementary division so this doesn't directly affect me but I'm still really unhappy with it. Is this an overreaction? Or did they cross a line by doing this?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:43 am
If they had a dangerous situation then they need cameras. Can you imagine if it was your kid being bullied in there? Who cares if they have by the mirrors? I think you are overreacting comparing it to prison. Cameras help with safety and should be used as needed.

amother
Yolk

Pretty much every school that has cameras, has cameras by the sinks in bathroom. At this point it’s pretty much universal across the board. It’s to protect our precious kids, not the opposite.

amother
Burgundy

My girls school has cameras in the sink area's. I don't think it's outrageous, I think it's important. Especially if there was a situation.

newinbp

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:46 am
I think it’s super important and I hope my kids school would do this. I went to public school, kids would pierce each others ears in the bathroom and much more…a camera is a great idea.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:48 am
I think cameras by the sinks are important. That way kids have their privacy and don’t need a teacher coming in while they are waiting in line but if someone reports inappropriate behavior (such as looking under stalls, making fun of people while they are using the bathroom), it can be verified and nipped in the bud.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:49 am
I have no issue, assuming that are really at the sink and angled in a way that doesn’t invade bathroom privacy.

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:49 am
I don’t think of the sinks area as a private area, especially in a huge public bathroom like that. My principal used to come in there and chase all the girls just hanging out back into class. If she didn’t, they would’ve hung out there all day.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:54 am
OP can you explain what is happening by the sinks that they would need privacy? If this was in a wedding hall and ladies get changed and nurse their babies there I could see getting upset but I don’t remember doing anything other than washing my hands and wasting time before going back to class in elementary school.

Last edited by mommyhood on Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:55 am
Never heard of this and quite horrified by the idea. This wouldn’t happen in my country!

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:56 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Never heard of this and quite horrified by the idea. This wouldn’t happen in my country!

Why are you horrified?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:59 am
There should be nothing private going on by the sinks of the bathroom. What's the problem?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:02 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
There should be nothing private going on by the sinks of the bathroom. What's the problem?

Hmm... I think girls sometimes check their braces, fix their hair, primp, examine their pimples, adjust their bras, etc. in the girls' room mirrors. I'd hate for someojne to be spying on my when I look in the bathroom mirror.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:03 am
amother Blue wrote:
Hmm... I think girls sometimes check their braces, fix their hair, primp, examine their pimples, adjust their bras, etc. in the girls' room mirrors. I'd hate for someojne to be spying on my when I look in the bathroom mirror.

Having cameras there, doesn't mean that anyone is spying on you.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:03 am
Did they notify the students? Because some girls adjust their skirts etc by the sinks which could be uncomfortable if they didn't know in advance there were cameras.

I think any area outside a bathroom stall is "public" enough for women to see. If there were men watching the cameras it might be different depending on what area is shown. This is true if there was a verbal warning and a sign.
A secret camera? No way.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:06 am
amother Blue wrote:

This is elementary school.

The girls from grades 6-8 will have to be a bit more careful. They can adjust their bras by the stalls. They should each invest in a locker mirror.

They're obviously doing it for safety reasons or to deter kids from hiding out in the bathrooms all day.

They should just tell the students that there are cameras in there now.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:09 am
I also wanted to add that in my kids school only the cameras to the outside doors are monitored all day. Other cameras like the hallways or classrooms are running but there’s no screen up in an office with someone watching. They would have to be actively checked to see the history. I’m going on the assumption that this bathroom camera would be the same, checked if there’s a report rather than someone sitting and staring all day every day.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:24 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
Why are you horrified?

A bathroom is a private place, period. It doesn’t matter if it just “by the sinks” or the age of the people in the bathroom. If there is a bullying situation, the school needs to figure out a different, more hands-on approach to solving the issue rather than installing cameras.

But again, I am not American and maybe Americans are okay with such things.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:36 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
A bathroom is a private place, period. It doesn’t matter if it just “by the sinks” or the age of the people in the bathroom. If there is a bullying situation, the school needs to figure out a different, more hands-on approach to solving the issue rather than installing cameras.

Nothing to do with being American. The school I went to had its sinks outside of the bathroom areas and were monitored with cameras. It wasn't a private area and I doubt we knew there were cameras there. I'm grateful they did it though, especially based off the stories you hear about all sorts of things. I shudder to think about things people can do, especially if they're aware there is no supervision there.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:38 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:

This is very dramatic.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics