Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training tips?

mom923

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 5:31 pm
My baby is almost 5 months old bh. She’s never been a great napper and has recently been waking up more frequently at night.
My SIL and MIL swear by the CIO method and tell to just do it and she’ll be sleeping through the night in 3 days. I’m a first time mom and can’t bear the thought of letting my baby cry for hours on end. (She’s quite stubborn (: )
Are there other successful methods to help her learn to fall asleep and stay asleep on her own?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 5:34 pm
mom923 wrote:
My baby is almost 5 months old bh. She’s never been a great napper and has recently been waking up more frequently at night.
My SIL and MIL swear by the CIO method and tell to just do it and she’ll be sleeping through the night in 3 days. I’m a first time mom and can’t bear the thought of letting my baby cry for hours on end. (She’s quite stubborn (: )
Are there other successful methods to help her learn to fall asleep and stay asleep on her own?

Just fyi naps tend to lengthen between 6-7 months Most babies are not greet nappers before hand (unless they’re held during it- which is fine too!). No tips on sleep training cuz I didn’t do it. But at 5 months a baby may still need to eat at night. I don’t think it’s okay to let them cry. They have so many different needs even besides for eating.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 5:42 pm
Yes. Read up on blogs or Instagram.
Chaya shifra sadoff, she doesn't do it anymore put had/has a good website
Baby sleep maven on Instagram
Sleep sense.net

There are ppl to hire and programs to follow.

Breaking eat sleep association
Making sure baby is not overtired
Comfy dark room
Waiting a few minutes to see if baby can become quiet alone, less than 10 min, I'd probably not do more then 1-2 minutes at that age
Using a key phrase such as sleep time, sh sh sh
Good routine
Having a lovely, mini blanket or stuffed animal (your baby is too young tho)

Read and make a decision yourself. Don't go to cio.

mom923

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 5:42 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Just fyi naps tend to lengthen between 6-7 months Most babies are not greet nappers before hand (unless they’re held during it- which is fine too!). No tips on sleep training cuz I didn’t do it. But at 5 months a baby may still need to eat at night. I don’t think it’s okay to let them cry. They have so many different needs even besides for eating.

100% !! On a good night she wakes up 1-2 times but sleeps 7-8 hours straight. I’d love to not have to rock her to sleep for hours and have fewer nights where she wakes up 4-5 times a night 😅
But could be the answer is just she’ll figure it out as she gets older. I’m ok with that too (:

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 5:46 pm
mom923 wrote:
100% !! On a good night she wakes up 1-2 times but sleeps 7-8 hours straight. I’d love to not have to rock her to sleep for hours and have fewer nights where she wakes up 4-5 times a night 😅
But could be the answer is just she’ll figure it out as she gets older. I’m ok with that too (:

Is 1-2 times a night often? Because that’s amazing at that age. Many times they just will figure it out on their own- babies don’t need to be taught. (Yes there are things to do like decrease screen time during the day (which I’m sure your baby isn’t getting lol), no sugar before bed, dim the lights in the house like 2 hours before bedtime, a nice bedtime routine and also just make sure that day time naps aren’t too much and that the baby isn’t over tired (which can cause many night wake ups). I think starting with tweeking these things as opposed to jumping to sleep training is best. If you decide to sleep train that’s also ok! Do what’s best for you. But when a baby wakes up 7-8 times there is usually something bothering them(teething, ear infection). Or could just be a sleep regression. 1-2 times a night sounds very good though.
Also you can just try laying them down aawake and seeing what happens. Some babies it’s just easier for- depends on their temperament. But I always say it’s not the parent doing anything that’s “right” it’s literally the child’s temperament.

mom923

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 5:51 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Is 1-2 times a night often? Because that’s amazing at that age. Many times they just will figure it out on their own- babies don’t need to be taught. (Yes there are things to do like decrease screen time during the day (which I’m sure your baby isn’t getting lol), no sugar before bed, dim the lights in the house like 2 hours before bedtime, a nice bedtime routine and also just make sure that day time naps aren’t too much and that the baby isn’t over tired (which can cause many night wake ups). I think starting with tweeking these things as opposed to jumping to sleep training is best. If you decide to sleep train that’s also ok! Do what’s best for you. But when a baby wakes up 7-8 times there is usually something bothering them(teething, ear infection). Or could just be a sleep regression. 1-2 times a night sounds very good though.
Also you can just try laying them down aawake and seeing what happens. Some babies it’s just easier for- depends on their temperament. But I always say it’s not the parent doing anything that’s “right” it’s literally the child’s temperament.

I guess you’re right. (: she’s still little, guess I’m just getting pressured by people who see me rocking her to sleep and jumping up to get her if she cries 2-3 hours after I put her down.
I’m going to old off on any “sleep training” for another month or so if I can. I’m going to enjoy the snuggles as long as I can

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 6:14 pm
mom923 wrote:
I guess you’re right. (: she’s still little, guess I’m just getting pressured by people who see me rocking her to sleep and jumping up to get her if she cries 2-3 hours after I put her down.
I’m going to old off on any “sleep training” for another month or so if I can. I’m going to enjoy the snuggles as long as I can

I’m so sorry you’re feeling the pressure - that makes it 1000 times harder. You do you. And honestly if people ask you how’s the baby sleeeping at night- (which I rly dislike that question) just proudly say- she’s sleeping like a baby should be sleeping or something. And enjoy the snuggles. They won’t need us forever at night. My 2.5 year old has always been a horrible sleeper and always needs me to rock her or pather Wtvr well she went to bed the other night without me there- her grandmother sat next to her didn’t pat her or anything and she just fell asleep. And at daycare she just falls asleep on her own. It happens when they’re ready.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics