Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva Beth Moshe in Scranton

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 3:53 pm
If your son went/or goes to Beth Moshe, can you please give info? Can you describe what its like, if your son likes it etc? The dorm, the food, the teachers, etc? Would really appreciate it, thanks

dena613

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:47 pm
I don't know because I don't have sons there, but I can tell you that its referred to as Scranton Yeshiva, and they are very selective about who they accept.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 5:54 pm
Just to help keep your post on the first page of new posts. My dh and fil both went there. We hosted many Bachurim who went there and they were ONLY the nicest middos boys. I’ve been so impressed with their products, really.
No idea what the current hs/bm crowd is like but over the years they have proven themselves to have high quality boys.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 6:04 pm
OP here - thank you so much for the feedback...good to hear what you said...can anyone chime in about their current experience in the yeshiva? TY so much!

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 6:12 pm
my son is there and loves it BH. Doesnt bother my son but the word on the street is Wink that the dorms are pretty bad as far as these dorms go.. very old. apparently used to be a hospital and Biden was born there LOL ( although they are building, Im sure that will take years to complete). the food is supposed to be better than other yeshivas, but that my son is kind of picky about that but I doubt he would eat better anywhere else...let me know if you have any other questions

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 6:13 pm
My husband went there and he loved it. Still connected to his friends and rebbeim.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 6:20 pm
oh I see you had more questions. The 9th grade rebbe seems very "geshmak", exciting, young vibrant. My son really respects him. The english teachers dont actually teach- I didnt realize this in advance. They give worksheets in each class and the students have to do them for 25 min and then can leave. So this bothers me because I value secular education but I dont think any similar yeshivas are doing much better in this department, so you cant fight city hall, I guess..
As far as what its like otherwise, hard to describe as Im not there but I know there is definitely basketball for those who enjoy it, in addition to the serious learning. Also most weeks motzei shabbos they take them swimming ( other weeks they have a more formal melave malka with a speaker). One sunday in the winter they come back from their off shabbos on motzei shabbos instead of sunday and they take them skiing on sunday. So its a very serious place but they also try to be a bit well rounded.
Its nice that they have an extra off shabbos for 9th graders after 2 weeks to ease them into it. Usually its like once a month, after mincha thursday until sunday night maariv. they have a bus from lakewood.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 6:30 pm
Excellent yeshiva with a fantastic, well-rounded product. The bachurim feel very close to each other and to their rebbeim and roshei yeshivos. The kind of yeshiva where alumni feel close years later.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 7:46 pm
When my son went there many years ago, his class wanted more advanced math, and the school provided it. Granted, the teacher was a father of one of the students.

The school building is an old hospital. Some of the beds are actually hospital beds where you can adjust it up and down. Matresses are not from hospital days Smile

The food is good. People hire the yeshiva cook to make the food for their simchas.

There are plans to rebuild but haven't heard when they will start.

There is a kosher store in the yeshiva where the boys can buy food and snacks. The store is fully stocked as it is where the community shops.

Most Friday nights the boys walk down from yeshiva to the house of a Rebbi in the yeshiva. Each class to a different Rebbi. They sing, dance and have oneg shabbos.

The yeshiva is about 2 miles from the jewish community. Boys are allowed to eat by members of the community on shabbos if invited. And if there are no girls over the age of bas mitzvah.

Overall, I have found the boys to be very respectful.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:25 pm
Both of my sons went to Scranton for HS and Beis Midrash. This is already many years ago; they are both in their 30s. My younger son still goes back there for RH and Yom Kippur. There is a wonderful camaraderie among the students and alumni.

The school has long had an excellent reputation for producing young men with good midos.

The math classes were spilt into into higher and lower sections with the higher section for boys who really wanted to learn it. If you had the motivation, it was possible to get a good secular education. My older son was a National Merit Finalist and the younger one was co-Valedictorian.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:28 pm
Wow I’m chassidish and don’t have boys but I’m sold! 😅
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics