Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
ISO Yeshiva for OOT boy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:17 am
In search of high school for out of town boy. We are right leaning but not super yeshivish (I.e. we value a strong secular education, encourage college but not living on a secular 4 year campus). Looking for a program with good college preparation but more right-wing atmosphere in terms of limits on secular influences. Ideas?

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:29 am
I have a 7th grader so will be at this stage next year but based on friends with older boys who fit your criteria have been happy with WITS, Rochester, Ner Naftali (not sure the dorm situation). But the boys are already fahering now. I don't know if you can still apply or not. I think the east coast mesivtas have a later time frame but OOT the process is in full swing.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:06 am
MTI maybe?

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:39 am
Ohr Yisroel in Boston, and Mesivta High School of Philadelphia (not to be confused with Philadlephia yeshiva) come to mind, though I don't know about dorm options at either. Ner Yisrael has a great reputation and does have a dorm. There's also a place called Ohr Naftoli in New Windsor, NY with a dorm, which may be what mha3484 was referring to.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:42 am
No she meant Ner Naftali in Chicago which was stated a few years ago as a type of offshoot of Ner Yisroel in Baltimore.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:49 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
No she meant Ner Naftali in Chicago which was stated a few years ago as a type of offshoot of Ner Yisroel in Baltimore.

Does Ner Naftali in Chicago have a dorm?

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:54 am
That's what I am not 100% sure of you'd need to call and ask.

I live in the Midwest, my son will want a more right wing mesivta but I know so many men who even went to the more yeshivish places with English that was nothing special, were able to take community college or online college classes when they felt they needed it. I would not limit myself too much with wanting high level secular studies if everything else ticks your boxes.

From what my friends tell me, its hard to find a place that has a strong secular studies program while also having a crowd that avoids secular influences.

Last edited by mha3484 on Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:54 am
doctorima wrote:
Ohr Yisroel in Boston, and Mesivta High School of Philadelphia (not to be confused with Philadlephia yeshiva) come to mind, though I don't know about dorm options at either. Ner Yisrael has a great reputation and does have a dorm. There's also a place called Ohr Naftoli in New Windsor, NY with a dorm, which may be what mha3484 was referring to.

Do any of these places have dorm options?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 4:17 pm
Sure

Do you have anyone who knows your son who can give guidance, like a rebbe or menahel?

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 4:24 pm
Mesivta Yesodei Yehsurun in Queens or yesodei in Naugutuck CT are good options and have dorms

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 4:42 pm
Yeshiva of Greater Washington might be a good fit for him. Well rounded environment, great for an OOT boy. They have 2 tracks of learning for each grade and offer secular classes that will prepare them for college.
They definitely have a dorm for the bais medrash; you'd have to double check about the high school dorm.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 5:29 am
Naugatuck is super yeshivish. My understanding is that the secular studies is pretty decent (compared to ther yeshivish schools) but the school is not like the other Yesodei branches in terms of expectations re:college. The boys are preparing to go to "regular" yeshivish beis medrash programs.

Ohr Yisrael in Boston sounds like what you are looking for, but they do not have a dorm, and are not interested in taking boys from outside New England (they will take boys who live in nearby small communities).

The closest thing to Ohr Yisrael is probably Yeshiva of Greater Washington. the Menahel of Ohr Yisrael told me that he based the school on Y of G.wash.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 5:33 am
amother Ruby wrote:
Naugatuck is super yeshivish. My understanding is that the secular studies is pretty decent (compared to ther yeshivish schools) but the school is not like the other Yesodei branches in terms of expectations re:college. The boys are preparing to go to "regular" yeshivish beis medrash programs.

Ohr Yisrael in Boston sounds like what you are looking for, but they do not have a dorm, and are not interested in taking boys from outside New England (they will take boys who live in nearby small communities).

The closest thing to Ohr Yisrael is probably Yeshiva of Greater Washington. the Menahel of Ohr Yisrael told me that he based the school on Y of G.wash.

How does YGW compare with Ohr Yisrael in terms of actual quality of programming?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics