Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Share your kitchen tips and hacks
1  2  3  Next

top mom

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:58 am
This is something that my dear sister in law taught me.
I roast butternut squash in the oven before peeling it.
Saves so much time and energy, no need to fight with those hard, thick peels.
What's yours?

schoolbus

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:10 am
top mom wrote:
What's yours?

I buy peeled and cubed frozen butternut squash

schoolbus

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:11 am
When I have time and patience I bread lots of cutlets and freeze raw so all I have to do is fry it and I have fresh supper

happy chick

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:15 am
Not really a hack, but I make my supper menu every motzei shabbos/Sunday. Makes my life so much easier when I wake up in the morning and know what's for dinner instead of stressing about it all day.

hodeez

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:16 am
Thursday night I get the kids to peel heads of garlic for me that I then use for confit

Last edited by hodeez on Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:28 am
I just learned a super cool one (I’ll see if I can find the video) for cereal boxes.

Fold in and push down the two short tabs and the tab that has the slot for the cover. Then fold in the sides of the box so the look like ><
Then put the last tab into the slot tab.

This is it, but not the video I saw.

https://www.tiktok.com/@lennia.....ng=en

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:28 am
top mom wrote:
What's yours?

I only peel it before if I want it cubed, because it doesn’t slice as nicely or roast as evenly.

ima22

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:51 am
Could use some hacks myself... trying these to reduce decision fatigue, trips to the grocery stores and to try and streamline the home front...

Made a weekly menu, shabbos menu that we hope to stick to. If we want to change it down the road or if we get bored after a few weeks, flexible to change it but for now this is the menu.

Made a weekly shopping list at my kosher store that I hope to just repeat weekly for delivery (can add things as needed and tweak if we see our quantities are off). Made 2 other grocery lists for items we buy at 2 other stores and hope to alternate them going to one each week. (Hoping this will dramatically reduce the shopping trips and running out of items as we learn to optimize the lists to our needs)

Planning to be more organized about keeping my freezer stocked with challah, potato kugel, cleaned and trimmed cutlets and desserts. Each week I will make one of these items with enough to stock the freezer for the following 3 weeks.

I'll be following this thread for more hacks...

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:59 am
When I want to roast vegetables I place all the ingredients in a ziplock and shake it all together and then place on a cookie sheet that’s already lined and roast it.
I make sure the kitchen is cleaned after supper- meaning all dishes are washed, the sink is cleaned and the counters are clean after everyone finishes supper.
I plan my suppers and Shobbos meals with my husband and kids and have them involved.

Happy247

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:19 pm
ima22 wrote:
Could use some hacks myself... trying these to reduce decision fatigue, trips to the grocery stores and to try and streamline the home front...

Made a weekly menu, shabbos menu that we hope to stick to. If we want to change it down the road or if we get bored after a few weeks, flexible to change it but for now this is the menu.

Made a weekly shopping list at my kosher store that I hope to just repeat weekly for delivery (can add things as needed and tweak if we see our quantities are off). Made 2 other grocery lists for items we buy at 2 other stores and hope to alternate them going to one each week. (Hoping this will dramatically reduce the shopping trips and running out of items as we learn to optimize the lists to our needs)

Planning to be more organized about keeping my freezer stocked with challah, potato kugel, cleaned and trimmed cutlets and desserts. Each week I will make one of these items with enough to stock the freezer for the following 3 weeks.

I'll be following this thread for more hacks...

To add to this -I have a list of grocery items I buy regularly but not necessarily weekly which I run through when putting together my order.
Items that last a long time so I need to buy only occasionally - I jot down as soon as I notice I'm about to use it up/when I use it up, onto notepad where I write my list, or add directly to my cart if doing order online/app, or send myself a text from a different number so I don't forget.
I try to always have an extra ketchup, mayo, oil, salt, peanut butter, grape juice - you get the picture, so I don't suddenly find myself without.

Happy247

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:23 pm
Do you find yourself using the same combination of spices often?
Take an empty spice bottle and fill it up with those spices. Now you only need to take out one bottle!

I mix onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper.

Last edited by Happy247 on Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

hodeez

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:26 pm
Happy247 wrote:
Do you fund yourself using the same combination of spices often?
Take an empty spice bottle and fill it up with those spices. Now you only need to take out one bottle!

I mix onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper.

Genius!

peace2

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:26 pm
Clean as you go! While you're waiting for the onions to brown or the water to boil, put dirty dishes in the sink, put ingredients back where they came from, throw out trash. Having clear counters makes cooking much more pleasant and a lot less overwhelming to clean up when you're done
I also find it helpful to put a shopping bag down on the counter for all peels, seeds, etc so I can just roll it up and throw it out.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:29 pm
I hope I'm not outing myself here...
After preparing cans of tuna I place the cover inside the can and give it a squish. The cover gets trapped inside the can and you don't have to fear it cutting through the garbage bag.

When cleaning chicken or breading I put a disposable plastic tablecloth on the counter. Keeps the counter clean and all the garbage contained.

Whenever I make food that takes a lot of prep I try to double the recipe and freeze. Meatballs. Soup.

corolla

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:31 pm
I keep a dish towel underneath my cutting board for two reasons:

1) so it doesn't slip while I'm cutting
2) if I'm cutting something messy, like tomatoes, so that I don't have to wipe the counter afterwards.

Yes, the towels get dirty, but I have a bunch of them and it's so easy to just throw them in the wash.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:32 pm
schoolbus wrote:
I buy peeled and cubed frozen butternut squash

Lol, I buy peeled and cubed fresh butternut squash!

Btw, do you find the frozen squash just as tasty as the fresh? I bet it's significantly cheaper than fresh - maybe I should try it

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:34 pm
h
schoolbus wrote:
When I have time and patience I bread lots of cutlets and freeze raw so all I have to do is fry it and I have fresh supper

I sometimes buy ready breaded cutlets when they're on sale for $7.99 and stock up

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:36 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Lol, I buy peeled and cubed fresh butternut squash!

Btw, do you find the frozen squash just as tasty as the fresh? I bet it's significantly cheaper than fresh - maybe I should try it

For baking like fries I would only buy fresh. For butternut kugel frozen works really well.
Soup I only tried fresh so dunno how frozen would taste.

corolla

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:36 pm
Ever open a can of tomato paste only to use some of it and then be left with leftovers? Take a small ziploc baggie, scoop your tomato paste in, flatten it out and squeeze out all the air. Using the back of a knife, score the baggie (don't cut, just score) into sections and freeze flat. Once frozen, you can break apart the sections so that now you have individual portions of tomato paste.

I also like to peel a bunch of garlic and puree with a little olive oil and salt. Then I portion it out into a silicone ice cube tray and freeze. Once frozen, store in a bag in the freezer.

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 1:04 pm
top mom wrote:
What's yours?

You can also stick it in the microwave for awhile before peeling instead of roasting it. Gets it soft without taking as long.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics