Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What age are you planning on retiring and what do you do?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:53 pm
?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:02 pm
Never thought about it.

Einikel

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:05 pm
I'm still too young to think about it.

hodeez

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:14 pm
Haven't thought about it yet. My 63 year old mother is still working

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:04 pm
My dad kah refired at 49. It was his dream. BH he was able to do it. Now he’s 70 kah and loving the life he couldn’t when he was young.

I am 46 but hope to work till 65-70

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:08 pm
Why would I retire? I love my work!

Kitchen design and space planning.

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

effess

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:08 pm
I hope not to. My life is so meaningful because of my work.
Education.
Though I’ll change positions bc I can’t imagine at 80 doing what I’m doing now. But I could see myself helping kids still.
My grandmother retired at 86, then volunteered till she couldn’t anymore.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:40 pm
I didn't "plan" to retire at any age in particular. I retired at 65 in order to be available to look after my grandchildren when needed. My parents helped us out when we had gaps in our childcare arrangements and I wanted to be able to do the same for our kids.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:57 pm
I kind of wish I could retire but I'm too young for that. I work in the field of healthcare and it can be exhausting.

gr82no

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:01 pm
Never. When I feel im not doing a proper job anymore ill find something else to do like volunteering. Having something to do keeps a person young

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:01 pm
On one hand, I want to retire when Im still young (45-50) to be able to travel the big world that I cant do now.

on the other hand, being bored at the golden age scares me to no end. I see upfront how important it is to work and be busy. My 75 year old grandmother took a job the last few years, bc she was so bored. She loves it. and she's still bored when she come home. (think about it, she's beyond the stage that we can drop off kids to babysit and even if we take shifts to drop by it takes up how much of her time? half hour? hour?)

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:03 pm
No idea. It probably depends on where we are financially in terms of college and making weddings... In my mid thirties so guessing I have at least another 30 years in the workforce... More if they raise the age for social security, which they prob will.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:06 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
I kind of wish I could retire but I'm too young for that. I work in the field of healthcare and it can be exhausting.

Me too. I’ve been in healthcare 20 years and I have at least that long to go before I can consider retiring. Although I love my work ( most days), being a healthcare provider of any type is extremely draining. It means between work and home you’re essentially a giver all the time.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:32 pm
I think 70. At the youngest. Honestly, I’m afraid to retire. Afraid I’ll be bored. Or not have enough income. Or not know who I am without that identity. I do love what I do, and I love the structure that work provides.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:36 am
I am in my 40s. I help my husband run his business so I guess I'll retire when he does LOL

My mother is over 70 and has no interest in retirement.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:40 am
Retired doesn't have to mean idle and bored. I audit college classes, volunteer at a local senior center, do temporary jobs at chesed organizations, travel to visit my kids, take care of grandchildren, attend craft workshops, visit friends, participate in medical research studies...lots of stuff I didn't have time for when I was fully employed.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:19 am
My dream is to retire when my kids start having kids, so I can help them out with childcare. However, realistically I doubt it'll happen. I'm in my mid 40s. My oldest is a boy -- so probably about 3-4 years before I'm a grandmother. My youngest is 6. So 9-10 in 3-4 years. I still have a mortgage and more kids to marry off. Don't see it being financially feasible.

I do have a retirement plan from work. So more realistically would be closer to 60/65--when we'd have paid off our mortgage and hopefully married off all my kids.

I do worry about being bored, but hope to volunteer in the local schools or help my kids (if they're local) or find a hobby to keep busy (both my grandmother and mother-in-law took up a musical instrument after retirement).

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:27 am
I'm A classroom teacher and love what I do.
But I don't want to do it forever!!!
I'd love to work within the school, more in administration, one day when I mature;) and my kids aren't in the school, where I know everyone and everything and it's all personal.
I'm in my mid-30s
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics