Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Book recommendations for 13 year old
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:49 pm
Need book recommendations for a 13 year girl. Must be clean do not want books that revolve a romance like Anne of green gables. She loves historical fiction, anything about animals, doesn't love magic and major fantasy, or mystery. She reads at a very high level is ready for adult books reading wise but I don't want those concepts yet. Looking for books I can get from the library.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Need book recommendations for a 13 year girl. Must be clean do not want books that revolve a romance like Anne of green gables. She loves historical fiction, anything about animals, doesn't love magic and major fantasy, or mystery. She reads at a very high level is ready for adult books reading wise but I don't want those concepts yet. Looking for books I can get from the library.

In the same boat.

GLUE

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:17 pm
Would she want a biography of a horse?

Man O'War-Walter Farley
He wrote the The Black Stallion books, I am not so sure if libraries still have them through.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:18 pm
Mysterious Benedict society

monseymom25

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:26 pm
Has she read all of the Little house books?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:27 pm
monseymom25 wrote:
Has she read all of the Little house books?

She didn't like them at all. She was at that level a few years ago, needs more mature at this point.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:28 pm
GLUE wrote:
Would she want a biography of a horse?

Man O'War-Walter Farley
He wrote the The Black Stallion books, I am not so sure if libraries still have them through.

Maybe. She read all the black stallion books a while back really liked them.

GLUE

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:56 am
The problem is that historical fiction is not in now. I am finding that most books for her age is fantasy or that like. You might have to find books that where written years ago and hope your library still have them.

I checked my public library and they still have some books by
Avi- He wrote a lot of historical fiction
Will Hobbs-He wrote adventurer books many of them trying to save an animal, you would have to look through some of them.

Maybe yours might have some

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:41 am
GLUE wrote:
The problem is that historical fiction is not in now. I am finding that most books for her age is fantasy or that like. You might have to find books that where written years ago and hope your library still have them.

I checked my public library and they still have some books by
Avi- He wrote a lot of historical fiction
Will Hobbs-He wrote adventurer books many of them trying to save an animal, you would have to look through some of them.

Maybe yours might have some

She read most of the avi books. Will look into will Hobbs. So hard that it’s all fantasy.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:49 am
Charlotte’s Web
The American girl doll books

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:50 am
What about Jewish books?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:57 am
amother Geranium wrote:
Charlotte’s Web
The American girl doll books

Way below her level

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:58 am
amother Linen wrote:
What about Jewish books?

She read all the ones at the library. We own a lot too like the avner gold books. It’s very limited.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:02 am
I got very into the Miss Read books at about that age. All about the daily dramas of an English village school. Not written as historical fiction, but set more or less contemporary in the 1950's, so it might feel historical, or old fashioned to her. I found them a good transition into adult books.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mis.....p_1_7

If you can find Doreen Tovey's books about life with a pair of Siamese cats, she might like them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dor.....p_2_9

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:16 am
amother OP wrote:
She read all the ones at the library. We own a lot too like the avner gold books. It’s very limited.

Would she read Jewish biographies? They are many about Gedolim and then there are the Nachman Salzer type. There are soooo many. My son is 14 and many of his friends ready them. Avner Gold are probably a little below her grade level. Some suggestions
- Bamboo Cradle
- To Remain a Jew
- Subbota
- Holy Woman (a little mature)
- From Djerba to Jersualem

Do you let her read Holocaust books?
- The Youngest Partisan
- Alone in the Forest
- Song of Hope
The Holocaust Diaries has several books that aren't too intense

Meyer Bendett books -

Marcus Lehmann
Ithamar
The Aguanah
Not sure if any have romance

Let me know if you'd like any more suggestions!

scruffy

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:18 am
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, My Side of the Mountain (and sequels)

Has she read these classic books yet - Tom Sawyer, The Prince and the Pauper, Around the World in Eighty Days, Sherlock Holmes, Little Lord Fauntleroy, Black Beauty, The Call of the Wild

GLUE

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:35 am
My library still has Joan Lowery Nixon series of
Ellis Island
Orphan train adventures-she wrote 2 series one for younger kids and one for older kids

I think these are OK , it has been years since I read them.

A new book came out I did not read it its called
Orphan Train Girl-Christina Kline
The author wrote a book for adults this is for middle school kids, stuff was taken out of the adult book when this one was written, you can look into it.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:35 am
My daughter likes biographies geared towards kids. She has read about Mozart, Louis Braille, Etc

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:42 am
Did she read Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh? Its a very deep and thought provoking story and beautifully written.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:05 pm
How about From the Mixed up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler. Its a little on the younger side, but a good one if she hasn't read it.

Catherine, called Birdy (Karen Cushman) is another old favorite similar level to above.

Has she tried The Secret Garden and A little Princess? I think the level could be 6-8th grade.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children