Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
MOnsey school for boys with extra needs
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:52 am
Any info on schools like this? Not major major special needs, but unspecified learning disorders (literacy and math), behavioural issues, etc. (which are major enough that our children are not able to be schooled in a Jewish setting where we live). I heard Cheder Chabad set up such a school in MOnsey. Any info on this, any info on other schools?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:58 am
How old?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:25 pm
2nd/3rd and 4th grade ages now

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:25 pm
Legadel?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:33 pm
Bais Hachinuch. My son was there and was very happy.

aussiemom

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:51 pm
looking for something like this in brooklyn

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:06 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
Bais Hachinuch. My son was there and was very happy.

Bais Hachinuch is great but I think starts in 3rd or 4th grade.

sbs

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any info on schools like this? Not major major special needs, but unspecified learning disorders (literacy and math), behavioural issues, etc. (which are major enough that our children are not able to be schooled in a Jewish setting where we live). I heard Cheder Chabad set up such a school in MOnsey. Any info on this, any info on other schools?

Eitz Chaim Skill Building Center

Chabad in New City might have a program like this.

Ashar had a transitional class, but I'm not sure if it's still open.

The behavior issues are going to be the challenge, you weren't specific what they were but that's the piece that most schools aren't equipped to deal with.

sbs

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:25 pm
aussiemom wrote:
looking for something like this in brooklyn

There's a lubavitch school called Darchei Menachem, but there are some not Lubavitch kids there.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:28 pm
None of the monsey schools really deal with behavioral issues.
If it were only learning issues then cheder chabad has a program but it's not for behavioral
There is a division of ohr vdaas called Bais Ohr that you can look into don't know much about it but the younger grades 1st/2nd are in Ashar

sbs

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:31 pm
amother Green wrote:
If it were only learning issues then cheder chabad has a program but it's not for behavioral

Unfortunately, it's not limited to Monsey, it's hard to find a school anywhere that will deal with the behavior challenges. It's disruptive to the school atmosphere and they're not equipped to deal with it.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:34 pm
sbs wrote:
Unfortunately, it's not limited to Monsey, it's hard to find a school anywhere that will deal with the behavior challenges. It's disruptive to the school atmosphere and they're not equipped to deal with it.

You are correct. There really should be such a program for adhd and the like when the kids are on or above grade level. Unfortunately many places suggest special needs programs but the only ones available are usually not for their level.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:04 pm
amother Green wrote:
There is a division of ohr vdaas called Bais Ohr that you can look into don't know much about it but the younger grades 1st/2nd are in Ashar

Doesn’t legadel deal with behavioral?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:16 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Doesn’t legadel deal with behavioral?

I never heard of legadel. I looked into many options in monsey and surrounding areas. Please send the info if you have it.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:23 pm
Shefa, Shalshelet, or Sinai.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:24 pm
TYSM for all the responses Smile , had not heard of ledagel and will look into it iyH. Eitz Chayim and Ashar and Chabad New City would not work for us. Bais hachinuch is for very high functioning? My sons are totally fine IQ wise, just issues with unspecified LD - one refuses to do a scrap of work if he is afraid of failing and has OT issues, leading to pain with writing even a small amount and one blows up easily and needs very quiet room with very little stimuli. Both with sensory issues and anxiety.

up high

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:28 pm
Bais hachinuch is no longer what they used to be. There's a complete new faculty.

Skill building center- English speaking.
Legadel- yiddish speaking

Last edited by up high on Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:33 pm
Sad I was getting my hopes up,. I remember a number of years ago someone asked me to work there but I had forgotten about it until his thread. Is it new management? lack of funding?
Any more info about ledagel, then, anyone?!

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:40 pm
Legadel is Yiddish speaking. Is that ok with you?

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sad I was getting my hopes up,. I remember a number of years ago someone asked me to work there but I had forgotten about it until his thread. Is it new management? lack of funding?
Any more info about ledagel, then, anyone?!

http://legadelservices.org/
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics