Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
S/O Last names- Do you like yours?
1  2  Next

Do you like your married name?
Love it!  
 50%  [ 66 ]
Don't like it but DH is worth it  
 17%  [ 23 ]
Eh...it's ok  
 29%  [ 39 ]
Other (explain below)  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 131

corolla

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:01 pm
Do you like your married name? Was it something you thought about in shidduchim?

Not saying this is something worth refusing a shidduch over, but I will admit I worried about having a "normal" married name. Normal is relative, obviously.

BH I got a good one!

peace2

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:04 pm
I waited my whole life to get rid of my maiden name. No one could ever pronounce it and I never heard of anyone else with it. Now my name is equally random but at least people don't botch it

corolla

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:05 pm
peace2 wrote:
I waited my whole life to get rid of my maiden name. No one could ever pronounce it and I never heard of anyone else with it. Now my name is equally random but at least people don't botch it

Ugh! I feel this. People botched my maiden name all the time.

singleagain

As someone who was divorced over a decade ago and has been back to my maiden name since then? I just won't legally change my name again when I get married.

I mean I don't care. I'll be Mrs. Whoever but there's no reason to go through the legal headache of changing the name.

Last edited by singleagain on Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Queen Of Hearts

Can't say I thought much about it before but BH I love mine!

nightingale1

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:07 pm
I was so nervous about it when I was single lol! When I got DH’s resume the first thing I thought was “oh good, a normal last name!”

Queen Of Hearts

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:08 pm
singleagain wrote:
As someone who was divorced over a decade ago and has been back to my maiden name since then? I just won't legally change my name again when I get married.

I mean I don't care. I'll be Mrs. Whoever but there's no reason to go through the legal headache of changing the name.

Will you call yourself by your married name? Meaning besides for legally.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:10 pm
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Will you call yourself by your married name? Meaning besides for legally.

Maybe I'm not sure. Really depends on situation right now. I'm kind of proud of being who I am at my last name. I really love my family of origin and I'm proud to be related so maybe I maybe I won't. Maybe I will go by my maiden name. I really don't know. I can't tell the future. I just know that I don't want to go through the headache that is changing everything.

Because when I was married I did start to change things I changed I think just my driver's license and I just remember that was a headache and it's no point to go through all that difficulty I think.

corolla

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:14 pm
nightingale1 wrote:
I was so nervous about it when I was single lol! When I got DH’s resume the first thing I thought was “oh good, a normal last name!”

Same!

corolla

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:14 pm
singleagain wrote:

Biggest headache in the world and probably not worth it in the long run.

Mermaidinexile

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:23 pm
I absolutely love my DH but the last name is terrible. Difficult to spell and always mispronounced. I didn't even bother legally changing it from my maiden name. That said, I always hated my maiden name lol...so lose/lose

Living Princess

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:12 pm
I never change my name because we left my country very soon after we got married. My maiden is uncommon but simple (think: apple). My married name is long, uncommon, though not difficult to pronounce, and everyone spells it wrong, and I mean everyone, and I mean everyone....

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:38 pm
I'm happy with my married name.
Thing is,that in Belgium married women keep their maiden names. So legally I have to say my maiden name by drs, government, etc.

mom.00

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:03 pm
I chose other-
I Love it but it’s the same as my maiden name!
Best thing ever
Would not change it for the world

corolla

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:58 pm
mom.00 wrote:
I chose other-
I Love it but it’s the same as my maiden name!
Best thing ever
Would not change it for the world

That's so cool! How did that happen?

bp1234

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:02 pm
My husband has a rly weird last name. My kids get made fun of all the time. They always speak of changing their name when they get older. I truly feel bad for them. It was so hard for me to get used to when we got married, but I wasnt bullied like my kids are.

jmom18

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:11 pm
Love it, it’s not very common but known and normal sounding. It’s my first name that I don’t like. No one every pronounces it right, and I always have to spell it out and pronounce for people. Why is it my fault that my grandmother had a weird name. I always say at least I don’t have to give it to my kids bh. My siblings all gave the name, but not everyone had an issue with it.

gr82no

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:18 pm
I had a very normal maiden name not super common in the jewish world and I was always asked if I was related to a certain person.
I was a bit nervous when I was single but im happy with my married name. Im related to everyone woth this last name so I makes life simple. Its often mispronounced because its a Yiddish word spelled in English but I like it.
When I see engagement of chany klien to baruch bemahrer I feel bad for her to downgrade in last name

Queen Of Hearts

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:22 pm
gr82no wrote:
I had a very normal maiden name not super common in the jewish world and I was always asked if I was related to a certain person.
I was a bit nervous when I was single but im happy with my married name. Im related to everyone woth this last name so I makes life simple. Its often mispronounced because its a Yiddish word spelled in English but I like it.
When I see engagement of chany klien to baruch bemahrer I feel bad for her to downgrade in last name

Yeah but she's finally getting an identity. Chany Klein is literally Jane Doe.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:18 pm
I went from a name where everyone with that last name is related, to a common last name where we were related to no one with that name!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics