Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Personality fix

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:17 am
My dd is six and takes herself way too seriously. She is mature for her age but it’s not great for her socially and it gives her anxiety. Whenever she gets new things she doesn’t even stop to think, just keeps going and asks a million questions about everything. How can I help her relax, slow down? Bli ayin hara she is bright but I fear it’s negativity affecting her. She overthinks everything!

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:39 am
You can’t change her. You can support her and model things for her and that’s it!

LisaS

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:21 am
You can't change her, and don't want to. She will use those qualities to accomplish a lot BH!

For now you can make sure she has a relaxed environment, feels secure, e.g. play pleasant relaxing music, don't get tense yourself, but don't answer all questions. (I told my daughter to keep a notebook of questions and choose a few each time to ask, and the others won't get forgotten, they are just delayed, and eventually just the few most important ones remain.)

As your daughter grows older she will gain self-awareness and will learn on her own how to identify overthinking and how to deal with it.

How is she impacted socially? Does she not enjoy age-appropriate games/discussions?

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 3:08 am
Your post isn't very clear. You say she gets new things and asks a million questions. Is this an example of overthinking and negativity? Do you mean she doubts her choices? Because asking questions about new things can be a sign of curiosity.

Are there other examples of overthinking? Of negativity?

Overthinking is a symptom of anxiety, not a cause of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics