Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Photo shoot wardrobe help

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:23 am
Planning a photo shoot for a family milestone. There will not be an event, so that's not going to give me a color scheme to go by.

Family is not into matchy-matchy. I could probably get everyone to do same color if needed but not identical outfits except maybe those closest in age same gender. Not black hat yeshivish, all men and boys happen to own black pants and white shirts but that's not the intuitive obvious option like it is for some families.

Season will be summer.

We are hoping to do this in Israel so figure beige-ish background scenery?

2 parents. Kids range in age from 1 (as in will be turning 1 shortly before this) to 18 but with a couple of gaps so most of the kids are preteen/early teen. Baby is boy, the rest are a pretty even mix.

People's coloring ranges from pale (a couple very pale) to tan (dark for ashkenazis, but only one tan enough to be mistaken for a "person of color") All more or less brown hair and eyes.

We are JPF with a little out of town flavor, so will not go for fashions that are special to boro Park/Lakewood, please don't take this the wrong way as I really really mean no offense but some of the fashion threads here I have a hard time relating to.

Thanks in advance for any help, inspiration, links!

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:25 am
I love white and denim.
White and browns/tans really nice too.
I’d suggest you look at Israeli photographers sites and instagram and see what family colors you like.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:26 am
I was also thinking blue which looks great in nature and also looks good on most people

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:31 am
Once we did all black and white and then I brought orange accessories for a pop of color-orange yamulka, tie, belt, headband, shoes, sweater, jacket, hairtie etc. it came out adorable! Each person had 1 orange accessory

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:36 am
amother Oak wrote:
I love white and denim.
White and browns/tans really nice too.
I’d suggest you look at Israeli photographers sites and instagram and see what family colors you like.

I started to search but couldn't figure out what it is that makes some work better than others. I'm very not a natural at this. If you happen to have links to a family photo you love, I'd love inspiration.

My goal is to not be scrounging for something decent for each person to wear when the occasion is already getting close because that's exactly the kind of thing I can see happening. Or I say "everyone wear something blue" and it turns out we have found the only blue combination in the world that actually clashes.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:38 am
Denim and Jean are pretty common or easy to get no?
Look at Miri kenig instagram for examples she has a lot of families of dif sizes in Israel

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:38 am
amother Vermilion wrote:
Once we did all black and white and then I brought orange accessories for a pop of color-orange yamulka, tie, belt, headband, shoes, sweater, jacket, hairtie etc. it came out adorable! Each person had 1 orange accessory

That's adorable. I don't know if I have the guts to pull off something so creative but that's amazing.

Also, so so close to the perfect amother color for this LOL

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:41 am
amother Oak wrote:
Denim and Jean are pretty common or easy to get no?
Look at Miri kenig instagram for examples she has a lot of families of dif sizes in Israel

Thanks for the recommendation, looking at her page now.

amother
White

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:41 am
Pick 3 solid colors and mix match on everyone. Like for example 3 pastels or 3 bold colors. If you don’t have to use white don’t it washes out everyone. So white a denim is very dated.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:47 am
amother White wrote:
Pick 3 solid colors and mix match on everyone. Like for example 3 pastels or 3 bold colors. If you don’t have to use white don’t it washes out everyone. So white a denim is very dated.

I guess it’s taste. I don’t care it it’s dated if ut makes my heart sing.
But some people just want up to date.
White to the face can wash people out but Better than the solid color flashing back to their faces.
I personally often dislike the bold looks.
Someone on Chaya Braun’s page did gorgeous neons, every person a dif color, they looked gorgeous it worked for their coloring.
But would look awful on many other families.
I think coordinating looks best. No one or two or three colors but just all in similar tones.
So all pastels not just three.

amother
White

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:51 am
amother Oak wrote:
I guess it’s taste. I don’t care it it’s dated if ut makes my heart sing.
But some people just want up to date.
White to the face can wash people out but Better than the solid color flashing back to their faces.
I personally often dislike the bold looks.
Someone on Chaya Braun’s page did gorgeous neons, every person a dif color, they looked gorgeous it worked for their coloring.
But would look awful on many other families.
I think coordinating looks best. No one or two or three colors but just all in similar tones.
So all pastels not just three.

It’s not about taste. It’s about what photographs best. I’m a photographer too. These are actually the rules most of use when guiding our clients.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:57 am
I don't care about dated vs trendy, I don't want too trendy because we won't be doing this often, I want this to be a classic moment that will stay on our wall long term.

I'm more worried about what will go well with our coloring with some being very white and some very tan. Most pretty families I see on Instagram are less diverse. I'm very light, dh is very tan, two kids take after me, one more like him but a little less dark, the others are in between. I think the pale ones are the ones to keep an eye on so they don't wash out, the darks will probably be ok in anything, is that right?

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 2:25 am
A deeper green or blue would look good with a pale skin tone (as well as a darker skin tone,) and can easily match all different color pants and skirts.

This article is great for pulling together family outfits:
https://www.daturaphoto.net/da.....hotos

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 2:39 am
amother White wrote:
It’s not about taste. It’s about what photographs best. I’m a photographer too. These are actually the rules most of use when guiding our clients.

Ok hope your post helps OP then!
(You had commented on the denim being dated)

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 7:36 am
Ideas that I’ve seen work well (and some we’ve done) are
blue and white (not denim per se),
tan, white and one or two other light colors to add in like green or pink
grey white and pink
jewel tones and black
Mustard yellow and greys and black
Autumn mix with maroon, deep green, brown, mustard, and navy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics