Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Warm mesivta vs Better schedule for my son's needs

Warm vs better proram
warm  
 68%  [ 20 ]
better program  
 31%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 29

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 9:49 am
delete

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:04 am
How "not warm" is the less warm place?

Woodworking, painting, and music sound great!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:11 am
delete

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:23 am
You remember how people make you feel, that is the absolute most important!

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:23 am
I think I know the not as warm strict mesivta your talking about. My son is there. This year there has not been any music lessons, never heard about painting. Theres maybe woodworking. They have a guy trying to revamp the program for extra curricular but it hasnt been what it was when the guy who used to run it was there. He left a year and half ago. They are very strict, it seems like a boy who doesnt mind following rules will not have a problem with it. Is the warm place your referring to "cohens". A rebbi from the other yeshiva that was excellent now switched there.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:25 am
If the more strict yeshiva your referrring to starts with an "M", then thats what I was talking about.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:25 am
amother OP wrote:
I am told that the rebbeim at "less warm" school ARE warm but that the hanhala is strict about rules (not being in hallways, listening to the English teachers). In general the place is strict and boys need to adhere to rules.

The warm place - literally everyone I speak to goes on and on about how warm and amazing the head is and the rebbeim.

Well, how is your son about rules? Has he shown frustration about rules in the past or is he generally ok with it?

I personally, knowing the Lakewood scene, would gravitate towards the warm yeshiva, because you can't replace warmth but he can always learn woodworking etc on his own. Also, all the yeshivos have breaks where boys do as they wish - usually some kind of sports - so he'll have time then to air out. And if the yeshivah is geared towards his level and the other boys are similar level to him, then he'll be fine. And you never know, he may just get more interested in learning when he's in the right environment.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:26 am
delete

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:16 pm
honestly I dont know anyone thats in cohens right now, On this site it was discussed not so long ago and someone wrote very nice things about Cohens. The other place, my son is ok, he doesnt love the strictness and honestly gets annoyed at them about it. But thats how they keep the boys in class etc. The english is very strict. Their doing it so the boys behave. Some kids are ok with it, but if your son would flourish from warmth and positivity then maybe cohens is better.

sbs

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:38 pm
I don't think enforcing rules takes away from the warmth of a yeshiva.
I don't live in Lakewood, and have no idea about either of the yeshivas, but just in general, it's very healthy for a teenager to learn that his rebbeim are warm and loving, but there are certain rules that have to be followed and that they're enforced.
It helps them grow to be functional as adults in society.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:23 pm
its extreme the strictness. Rebbeim are warm but the overall yeshiva is extremely strict. Some boys cant handle it and some boys dont care, especially if their rule followers anyways.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am told that the rebbeim at "less warm" school ARE warm but that the hanhala is strict about rules (not being in hallways, listening to the English teachers). In general the place is strict and boys need to adhere to rules.

The warm place - literally everyone I speak to goes on and on about how warm and amazing the head is and the rebbeim.

Question: Are they warm to all students and make an effort to work with them, or are they warm to the students who are rule followers?

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:34 pm
Would the very warm place be willing to work with your son, let him skip class sometimes, etc?

Extracurriculars can be fun if they are not pressured. If they are pressured "you must be on time and do all your woodworking assignments" it sucks all the joy out of it. Speaking from experience. My high school famously had fencing classes. The problem was they took attendance, you could never miss, there were quizzes and assignments, and it was actually pressured and miserable.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:35 pm
warm to all the boys, its more the menahel and English principal that take matters into their hands about strictness. Honestly what most pple do, is that the boys father goes to check out the yeshiva while its in session or even when its lunch time and can get a feel of the yeshiva.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:39 pm
also OP, is your son yeshivish. Cohens definitely is somewhat more yeshivish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics